• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advanced tickets and connections - greater Anglia

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakey1152

Travelling back from Great Yarmouth to Stratford later today on an advance ticket. I asked greater Anglia on their twitter if we could catch an earlier train from Great Yarmouth into Norwich as we are booked on the 1717 from Great Yarmouth connecting with the 1800 from Norwich and I was concerned about the short 10 minute connection time. In theory ten minutes is plenty of time but Ive got three suitcases, a dog, and young child to get round.
On the outward journey we had slightly less time but just made the connection but it was hard as we were first class so the first class coaches were furthest from the barriers!

It's not possible to walk through the train so want to be on the right section.

Greater Anglia said we must travel on the booked train and connection from great Yarmouth - is this correct?

If it is I'll just have to buy a single to get the train an hour earlier from Great Yarmouth :(

Chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hkstudent

Established Member
Travelling back from Great Yarmouth to Stratford later today on an advance ticket. I asked greater Anglia on their twitter if we could catch an earlier train from Great Yarmouth into Norwich as we are booked on the 1717 from Great Yarmouth connecting with the 1800 from Norwich and I was concerned about the short 10 minute connection time. In theory ten minutes is plenty of time but Ive got three suitcases, a dog, and young child to get round.
On the outward journey we had slightly less time but just made the connection but it was hard as we were first class so the first class coaches were furthest from the barriers!

It's not possible to walk through the train so want to be on the right section.

Greater Anglia said we must travel on the booked train and connection from great Yarmouth - is this correct?

If it is I'll just have to buy a single to get the train an hour earlier from Great Yarmouth :(

Chris
Is your Great Yarmouth - Norwich section have any seat reservation marked on your ticket?

Also, what I would suggest is, move to the front carriage in advance, so you can shorten your walking time on platform.

blakey1152

There is no seat reservations on either leg. Just says itinerary - mandatory reservations
And states 1717 Great Yarmouth to Norwich and 1800 Norwich to Stratford

I get a feeling as it's mandatory I am stuck but I didn't realise local connection services were restricted :(

hkstudent

Established Member
There is no seat reservations on either leg. Just says itinerary - mandatory reservations
And states 1717 Great Yarmouth to Norwich and 1800 Norwich to Stratford

I get a feeling as it's mandatory I am stuck but I didn't realise local connection services were restricted :(
I am afraid it would be best for you to stay at the near coach upon arrival to minimise interchange time.
but the most I am concerned is, is the 1717 train marked on your ticket? If not marked, actually that's not restricted.

superjohn

It is highly unlikely you will encounter a ticket check on the earlier train and even if you do, the inspector won’t care. Be aware that all the facilities at Norwich are on the other side of the barrier so you will probably have to ask to access them during your extended wait there. I highly doubt the staff will have a problem with that though.

There are no reservations on Anglia rural services. The response you got sounds like a stock answer for questions about advance tickets.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Is your arrival time at Stratford of critical importance? If you missed the connection because of a delay which meant you couldn't get over in time, you would be able to claim compensation. Of course the wait would be rather boring but then if you wish to have 70 minutes at Norwich of your own accord my guess is that you're not too worried about that?

If you want to go earlier, as long as you don't have any reservations for the Great Yarmouth to Norwich service, I would just do it rather than buying a new ticket. If this isn't clear, you can always upload a picture of the ticket?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Aren't the Anglia branch line services "pay trains"? If so couldn't the OP just pay a fare on the train if the conductor refused the advance ticket on the connecting service?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
More information is needed; I concur with @Starmill the choice is either accept a chance of delay and claim delay compensation accordingly, or just get on the earlier train anyway

Customer service staff generally don't give out adequate advice for questions of this nature; they wouldn't cut the mustard answering queries on this forum, that's for sure.

For questions like this, you're best off asking the experts directly.

alistairlees

Established Member
There is currently general acceptance on all services. And there will be until 25th August. This is to facilitate safer travel. You will be fine on the earlier train.

LAX54

Established Member
Just as a postscript to this the 1717 2P28 was 10 late into Norwich arriving at 1759, due to Heat Speeds and a CCTV Ximg failure 1P59 had a 2 or 3 late start, so assume held for late ruuning Yarmouth and day trippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.