• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advances with a railcard not yet bought

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmc

Someone I know has just purchased advances from a station in the North to London for well into the New Year, for themselves and their family. They have bought them at Family Railcard prices but they do not have a railcard as yet, intending to buy it just before travelling to maximise the validity.
Assuming they remember to do this, does anyone foresee any problems here?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
No, aside from the absolutely miniscule chance that the Family and Friends railcard is withdrawn from offer before they can purchase one.

I wouldn’t worry, but I’d make sure they apply for it a fortnight before travel, taking note of any bank holidays, due to possible issues with the photo, post, payment etc. An extra week’s validity is always added on to railcards bought online anyway.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No, aside from the absolutely miniscule chance that the Family and Friends railcard is withdrawn from offer before they can purchase one.

I wouldn’t worry, but I’d make sure they apply for it a fortnight before travel, taking note of any bank holidays, due to possible issues with the photos, post, payment etc. An extra week’s validity is always added on to railcards bought online anyway.

I agree with this. F&F Railcards can be purchased from a station ticket office as well.

mullin

I've bought tickets from a station in advance before. Did the railcard at the same and asked for it to start on the day of the tickets (was about 4 weeks before travel). No issues at all.

87 027

Likewise I've bought tickets for future travel with an F&F railcard discount without actually having one at the time of purchase, and the ticket office proactively offered to postdate the F&F railcard to the actual day of travel

Deafdoggie

Established Member

I wouldn’t worry, but I’d make sure they apply for it a fortnight before travel, taking note of any bank holidays, due to possible issues with the photos, post, payment etc. An extra week’s validity is always added on to railcards bought online anyway.

There is no photo on a F&F railcard

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Have bought an advance for a Two Together card and bought the card half an hour before the train departure time.

Status
Not open for further replies.