• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advertising costs on the tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f582a306-cf40-11e0-b6d4-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz1dceKjNHH

"CBS Outdoor said on Thursday it intended to terminate its contract with Transport for London – worth hundreds of millions of pounds – three years early in March 2012, threatening to stop providing ads just months before the London Olympics."

So I don't think it's completely over, they're just not happy saying TfL were getting in the way of them installing their equipment (for the new video screens etc) with their own reconstructions!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Firstly, FT website not allowing me to view the article unless I register. Seriously? We have to even pay for news information? No thanks. A cached copy works just as fine.

Secondly, CBS have no one else to blame for signing that contract pre-2008 but themselves. That story is entirely irrelevant. What's TfL done wrong?

Finally, shouldn't station improvement always have priority over advertising? Anyone with half a brain will understand this and can/should be able to foresee potential issues in that area prior to signing their contracts.

Tell them to get lost.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Finally, shouldn't station improvement always have priority over advertising? Anyone with half a brain will understand this and can/should be able to foresee potential issues in that area prior to signing their contracts.

Couldn't agree more, network improvements deserve priority over advertising - regardless of the extra revenue it brings in.

CBS, to their credit, have taken some innovative steps with London Underground advertising in recent years. Their most recent innovation are the grey advertising frames now seen on many platforms, these remove the need to use paste and brushes - can't quite remember how - but it makes the replacement of outdated posters much easier. Unfortunately, clearances are so tight at some places these cannot be installed.

Caertroia

Firstly, FT website not allowing me to view the article unless I register. Seriously? We have to even pay for news information? No thanks.

No, course not. The FT employs people to provide you with free information. To test that, go along to your local W H Smith and just take a copy of today's FT. They wont charge you a penny -- they like you to have free info

WatcherZero

Established Member
What amuses me is they treat stations like a collectable card game

Platinum/Oxford St/Entertainment Stations
Cross-Track: Bank, Bond St, Covent Gdn, Green Pk, Holborn, Knightsbridge, Leicester Sq, Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus, Tottenham Court Rd (7/10 stations guaranteed in packs)
6 Sheets: Bond St, Marble Arch, Oxford Circus, Tottenham Court Rd (subject to sites being in-charge)
12 Sheets, 4 Sheets, SCLEPs: Covent Gdn, Leicester Sq, Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Circus, Tottenham Court Rd (subject to sites being in-charge)

Interchange Stations
Cross-Track & SCLEPs: Charing Cross, Euston, King’s Cross, Liverpool St, London Bridge, Marylebone, Paddington, Tower Hill, Victoria, Waterloo (7/10 stations guaranteed in packs)

Business Pack Stations
16 sheets: Angel, Chancery Lane, Charing Cross, Euston, King’s Cross, Liverpool St, London Bridge, Marylebone, Moorgate, Old St, Paddington, St Paul’s, Victoria, Waterloo (subject to sites being in-charge)

Half the price is the printing and installation, its only half the price for another two weeks after the first. Its also about a tenth the price if your not targetting specific stations or the largest ones.

AndrewP

Advertising space is very much like rail ticket pricing - many different permutations and price points.

The main factors are

• The number of people who will see the advert
    How long they will see it for
    The type of person who will see it (i.e. their spending ability)
    The size of the advert (of course)

On this basis the cost per viewing could actually be very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.