• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice crossing London

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge-gn

I have to travel from Norwich to Catford on a Thursday evening in a couple of weeks with my partner and two small children. Trouble is we are going to be hitting London bang on the rush. So I have been pondering routes to try and avoid the worst of the crowds. Would prefer not to use the tube or bus if possible. Options I have come up with so far are,

-direct in to Liverpool Street then walk to London Bridge to catch a Southeastern or Thameslink service to Catford.
- Travel via Ely in to Kings Cross then walk across to St Pancras to pick up a Thameslink from there.
- direct to Stratford, change on to the NLL to West Hampstead, then a Thameslink from there.

Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or advice. I know the best advice would be to travel at a quieter period but that isn't an option. There won't be any pushchairs or anything like that to worry about.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
First one sounds the best of the three, the NLL is packed to the rafters off-peak let alone during the peak and Thameslink isn't much better in the peak!

Trains from Norwich to Ely are quite short and busy so you may be fed up of overcrowding before you even get to London if you go that way! The Jubilee line Stratford - London Bridge is not that bad as you have a chance of a seat if you get the train that is not the next to leave, boarding at the start of the line.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
-direct in to Liverpool Street then walk to London Bridge to catch a Southeastern or Thameslink service to Catford.
Yes this is doable. It'll be Southeastern and to Catford Bridge, but that is literally next door to Catford.
- Travel via Ely in to Kings Cross then walk across to St Pancras to pick up a Thameslink from there.
As Causton says - don't do this.
- direct to Stratford, change on to the NLL to West Hampstead, then a Thameslink from there.
Change at Stratford and get the Jubilee line to London Bridge. It'll get busy, but you'll get seats at Stratford as it starts from there. May be better than the first option if it's raining.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Circle / Metropolitan line to Farringdon - cross platform transfer to Thameslink - fair chance of a seat there - back of the 8 car especially (even in the peak - trains get busier from City / Blackfriars and Elephant ..

Ianno87

Veteran Member
How about using the DLR from Stratford to Lewisham, changing cross-platform at Canary Wharf?

It'll be busy, and don't expect any boarding manners at Stratford or the Wharf, but DLR trains have plenty of space side, and your kids will love them, especially if you can get the front seat.

However, be warned that the corridors/subways at Stratford can be *very* congested in the peaks.

Alternatively, buses from Liverpool St to London Bridge are plentiful, and you can usually wait not too long for one to turn up with a bit more space on.

Veteran Member
Two minds with but a single thought...

The disadvantage is that the platform at Lewisham is on a sharp curve, so mind the gap...

Last edited:

E3191

How about walking from Liverpool Street to Cannon Street and catching the train to Catford Bridge from there? The train starts from Cannon Street so you can take your time to board and will get seats (unless you arrive at the last minute - the exit at Catford Bridge is at the front of the train), though at the height of the peak the train will be packed from London Bridge.

ge-gn

Thanks for the advice there. Actually, I had forgotten about Cannon Street. Much closer to Liverpool Street than London Bridge also. I will go for that I think. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.