• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for a Tourist visiting York

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'd like to thank you all again for your help in planning our trip. Now that I've been back awhile, I thought I'd share some thoughts and photos that I took along the way.

Really glad you had a great time. I lived in York for several years and miss it. The NYMR is fantastic. I tihnk it is the best preserved line in the country. It is lovely up on the moors and the colours are superb. It can also be terrible in bad weather. BTW - you may have been watched by several of your countrymen as you crossed the moor. RAF Fylingdales ( that funny looking pyramid you might have spotted on the top pf the hill) is a radar/tracking station "sharing" information with your armed forces

While you saw an A4 in steam ( and the most famous one in the museum) you did also have an actual trip behind an LNER steam locomotive: 61264 a Thompson Class B1 dating form 1947. It might not be as glamorous as an A4 but it is a solid unsung mixed traffic workhorse and the last LNER locomotive to be preserved.

PS 61264 came from Barry Scrapyard in South Wales and was the only LNER locomotive sent there. You might like to have a read about Barry scrapyard as, thanks a decision taken by the owner ( he had loads of railway wagons to cut up so left the locomotives to one side as they took longer to break up!), many of our preserved steam engines came from that site long after they had been sold for scrap. Without that decision we would have far fewer heritage railway locomotives. 213 locomotives out of a total of 296 sent there were preserved!

PPS £3 a pint. £3! - world has gone mad ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Is there any recommendations for any chip shops in York. I’m up there 9th December

Status
Not open for further replies.