• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for Northern Trainee Driver Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

shroeder

Hi everybody!

I got an email yesterday from Northern inviting me for an interview for a trainee driver position I applied for back in May. Obviously thrilled to bits but I'm getting pretty nervous now! The email doesn't state anything about tests bur I'm guessing from what I've read on here I may have to do the Bourdan test and something about answering a question regarding chopping down a tree?!
I don't even know whether I'll be there for the entire day - no timescales are given.

Has anyone got a little information about what I can expect?

Thanks! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shroeder

It was for Liverpool Lime Street.
To be honest not much information was given in the email, just the location and what time to report. Eeek!

shroeder

Though I will shine up my shoes, good advice! I'm just going for the standard interview outfit - shift dress, maybe suit jacket over with tights and shiny shiny shoes!

Thanks for the congrats, it's actually missy rather than sonny!

Sunday_mornin

Sorry Miss/Mrs/Ms Shroeder, how presumptuous off me.

Still though, you better get them polished. When is the big day?

shroeder

Monday 16th so at least have a week or so to prepare.

I'm a bit confused though, reading on here it seems people have attended assessment days, had structured interviews, etc, and I read that Northern provide practice papers for the assessment days. Is this true?
Maybe I'll just be having an interview and if I do well then I will be invited for assessment?

Sunday_mornin

I'm sure a quick email/phone call will sort matters for you.

...and is the interview @ Liverpool?

Last edited:

DaveH

Hi there

I'm new to this forum and have also applied for one of the Northern driver jobs, mine is at Manchester Piccadilly so when i saw your thread my interest level doubled, i've passed the application stage and an online test so i'm just waiting for the email to invite me to the assessment centre.

Shroeder i would appreciate it if you can let us know if you are going to the traditional assessment day or will it just be an interview.

Any help you can get when your starting out on something new is always a bonus and greatly appreciated.

Good luck with your interview day, i hope it goes well for you.

Cheers..Dave

shroeder

Hi Dave

After lots of researching on t'internet and on previous threads in this forum I've now discovered that my interview on Monday will be the standard interview. If I do ok there, then I'll be invited to the assessment day. I did plan to ring Northern but could not find a phone number for their HR dept anywhere.

To be honest its the interview I'm more nervous about as I haven't much experience working with safety rules or emergency situations. And I'm always nervous as hell in any interview situation anyway. My work history is very much office based with the odd stint of coffee shop work when I first left school. I've been practising the assessments constantly so although I don't find them easy by any stretch, at least I understand what I need to do in order to answer the questions.
I bought "How 2 become a train driver" and "Train Driver Tests" from Amazon and I have to say they have helped me so much. The mechanical comprehension and trainability tests in particular.

I'll be back on Monday with more info for you - and hopefully a smiley face!!

DaveH

Thanks for the reply, all the best for Monday, i really hope it goes well for you.

Dave

Neil73

Oh no! Bad luck there fella...what was the closing date of your application if you dont mind me asking?

shroeder

Mmm, well I am back from my trip to Lime Street. It was a standard interview but I don't think I did terribly well to be honest. I know for definite I could have done so much better on at least two questions. I just hope I have done enough to get through to the assessments which I'm actually more confident about!
I'm proud of myself for getting this far really - one on the interviewers said there had been thousands of apps and to get through to interview stage, well, I'm chuffed!

All I can do is wait now!
Good luck to anyone else waiting for an email.

Neil73

crikey it sounds like its a real tough competition to get through! I echo Sunday mornings sentiments and well done for getting the interview. You never know, sometimes when you think you haven't performed well enough...you actually have! Best of luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.