• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for someone just starting out in the hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffiths

I recently just started out in this hobby. Sat a few weeks ago opposite my local station and enjoyed watching the trains pass.Lately been to a few places again enjoyed the visits.
However I’m trying to understand what the codes are at the front of a train working as I’ve no clue as to what they mean. Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
However I’m trying to understand what the codes are at the front of a train working as I’ve no clue as to what they mean.

What do you mean by 'codes are the front of a train working', do you mean a headcode such as say 1S19 or 2A87 that sort of thing?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum :)
However I’m trying to understand what the codes are at the front of a train working as I’ve no clue as to what they mean. Any advice would be welcome.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but do you mean the headcodes (as shown here for example: https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/yrk#T_YORK )?

If so, there is plenty of reading material here: https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&client=firefox&q=headcodes+site:www.railforums.co.uk

Any other questions? :)

If by codes you mean the numbers (usually on the front of the train, there are some exeptions) then they are the unit number. Each one has a different number. Carriage numbers do not matter on multiple units.

mmh

Established Member

With very few exceptions, the number on the front of a multiple unit will be six digits, the first three are the class number of that type of unit - googling "class xyz" based on that will invariably link you to a wikipedia page about that class, and they're mostly accurate and very informative. The latter three digits are the number of that unit within that class - e.g. unit number 5.

The first number of the second three can indicate a "sub class" - these days there are few classes which have more than 98 units. As an example on here you might see people say "class 319/2". This means a unit in class 319, which structurally are all identical, but sub classes can indicate differences, sometimes engine differences, unit length difference or even just interior layout. For example, 319204 is a class 319, subclass 319/2, and nominally the third of that subclass.

For locomotives it's similar, but the number will be 5 digits - the first 2 are the class, and the 3rd could be a subclass.

With very few exceptions, the number on the front of a multiple unit will be six digits, the first three are the class number of that type of unit - googling "class xyz" based on that will invariably link you to a wikipedia page about that class, and they're mostly accurate and very informative. The latter three digits are the number of that unit within that class - e.g. unit number 5.

The first number of the second three can indicate a "sub class" - these days there are few classes which have more than 98 units. As an example on here you might see people say "class 319/2". This means a unit in class 319, which structurally are all identical, but sub classes can indicate differences, sometimes engine differences, unit length difference or even just interior layout. For example, 319204 is a class 319, subclass 319/2, and nominally the third of that subclass.

For locomotives it's similar, but the number will be 5 digits - the first 2 are the class, and the 3rd could be a subclass.
Not forgetting the Dxxxx? And also the old steamers and just randomly numbered trains!

mmh

Established Member
Not forgetting the Dxxxx? And also the old steamers and just randomly numbered trains!

The OP will learn about history in their own time if they decide to! I thought it better to try to explain what they'll see on current trains.

pieguyrob

Each one has a different number. Carriage numbers do not matter on multiple units.

Unless its 175101, which has a carriage from 175004 formed in it.
Also 172333 and 172338 have swapped driving trailers.....

Status
Not open for further replies.