• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice given on Scotrail Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

13 valleys

A passenger asked the following question on Scotrail Facebook page.He stated he has a monthly season ticket from Motherwell to Hillington West.On his return journey he boards the 16:40 Virgin Trains departure from Central to Motherwell.He has been doing this for years.However the guard has told him his ticket is not valid on this service.He has asked the Facebook page for advice and they also said his ticket was not valid.I would have thought the ticket would have been valid.Any thoughts ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's totally valid from what I can see.

What's the routeing on the ticket? Why did the guard say it wasn't valid?

I think a complaint needs to be made to Virgin about this, not Scotrail.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It's totally valid from what I can see.

What's the routeing on the ticket? Why did the guard say it wasn't valid?

I think a complaint needs to be made to Virgin about this, not Scotrail.

It's probably worth complaining about both. As the only available routeing is Any Permitted with no TOC specified then I can't see why it wouldn't be valid.

kieron

Established Member
There are probably only two people who know what the guard said. Anyone can confirm what Scotrail's Twitter team said.

And the route Virgin take to Glasgow is half a mile longer than the shortest route according to bukitlawang.com.

Last edited:

Agent_c

I'm still learning this routing thing, but doesn't it not matter about the distance if its booked to call at both the origin and destination station anyway?

13 valleys

I just checked the comment again.The passenger has stated that the guard said it wasn't valid as it wasn't a local service.He has asked Scotrail for clarity as it was them who have probably sold him the ticket.Regardless of what the actual conversation took place with the guard,it's disappointing that Scotrail have clearly given the wrong answer to a straight forward question.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
What an odd thing for Scotrail to say, would there be anything stopping said passenger from boarding an XC train from Central to Motherwell with his season ticket, I highly doubt it...

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I wonder if it's a Zonecard rather than a point-to-point. Even so, this should be accepted by Virgin according to SPT.

it's disappointing that Scotrail have clearly given the wrong answer to a straight forward question.

Though not surprising.

insidetrack77

I wonder if perhaps the passenger has an SPT Zonecard rather than a rail season ticket. Zonecards are only valid on Scotrail services.

If he does have a rail season, there are multiple Virgin and Cross Country services between Motherwell and Glasgow every day which can be very busy with commuters. I know a couple of trains are 'set down' only but I've never experienced 'pick up' only at this station. Seems most likely to be an overzealous or misinformed guard.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
A forum member was informed that Zonecards are accepted on Virgin last year - link. There's nothing to say that it's limited to Scotrail, or otherwise, on the SPT site from what I can see.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I wonder if it's a Zonecard rather than a point-to-point. Even so, this should be accepted by Virgin according to SPT.

If Scotrail had asked that question that might have been reasonable, but the questioner sounds more likely to have a point to point from the question, so saying it's not valid out of hand seems odd.

insidetrack77

On the official Zonecard leaflet, Scotrail is clearly stated as the only rail operator which accepts Zonecard. If Virgin do accept it, brilliant! I know TPX have a particular issue with it and regularly sell rail tickets to Zonecard holders.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
This is the same page that says:

Ticket gates are now live at Edinburgh Park station.
Please remember to keep your ticket handy, as you’ll need it to pass through the gates.
Ticket gates help to cut down ticketless travel, which isn’t fair on all of our paying passengers.
It’s a good idea to purchase your ticket in advance of travel to allow quick and easy access to and from the station.

It's a good idea?! Aren't these things usually couched in slightly stronger terms?

extendedpaul

There is an update on facebook that the previous reply was incorrect. Ticket is valid on all operating companies.

Poor show for one company to back up another's error.

13 valleys

Thanks for your input guys.The only other issue I have heard of,is Transpennine not allowing SPT zone cards on their services.However I think it was only a problem on the afternoon outbound service from Glasgow Central,which is no longer running.I don't think the guards check the tickets between Motherwell and Glasgow in the morning,as it has barriers at both ends.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There is an update on facebook that the previous reply was incorrect. Ticket is valid on all operating companies.

Poor show for one company to back up another's error.

Indeed - and that is only following two people pointing out it's wrong and the OP having the validity confirmed by customer services.

I think this is a historic issue, ISTR in the 80's/90's Intercity services did not allow travel between Motherwell and Glasgow. Some older staff who live in the past still believe this is the case.

A similar situation exists on East coast services between Perth/Stirling/Falkirk and Edinburgh where announcements are regularly wrongly made telling passengers on local journeys to leave the train.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's a good idea?! Aren't these things usually couched in slightly stronger terms?

Ticket gates at an unstaffed station? Err, OK then... Last time I was at Edinburgh Park, the only ticket buying facility was a TVM that had the cash slot paneled over and said it would henceforth only be accepting cards following vandalism.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A similar situation exists on East coast services between Perth/Stirling/Falkirk and Edinburgh where announcements are regularly wrongly made telling passengers on local journeys to leave the train.

Are you sure? That's bizarre, none of these calls are either pick up or set down only. I can get a seat reservation on the southbound Chieftain Falkirk Grahamston -> Haymarket at 1047.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Ticket gates at an unstaffed station? Err, OK then... Last time I was at Edinburgh Park, the only ticket buying facility was a TVM that had the cash slot paneled over and said it would henceforth only be accepting cards following vandalism.
Edinburgh Park has been a focus for investment and will be (or is, I can't remember the date) a staffed station. Found it - the ticket gates are live and staffed.
Are you sure? That's bizarre, none of these calls are either pick up or set down only. I can get a seat reservation on the southbound Chieftain Falkirk Grahamston -> Haymarket at 1047.
I think you missed the key word in 170401's sentence - they are wrongly making the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.