• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice needed for Staplehurst - Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

hozza94

I need to go from SPU to BHM on the 16th July arriving before 1030 (peak <(!) and leave on the 19th July leaving after 1200. So far I have tried thetrainline.com and lastminute.raileasy.co.uk The prices given by the two sites are different and I just want to know what is the cheapest option. (And I want to go 1st on the way back, is the VT one good?)

I have a YP railcard and a 16+ oyster for underground

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Neither of those sites will give you the cheapest price.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I get £39 easily, £11.55 more to go back in Virgin First, and can get lower again with some slightly dubious tickets. What were you getting?

Last edited:

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
If you want a flexible ticket, it's worth remembering that with your railcard you can buy an Off Peak ticket from London to Birmingham and use it in the peak.

You would, however, need a separate ticket to get from Staplehurst to Euston.

island

Veteran Member
If you want a flexible ticket, it's worth remembering that with your railcard you can buy an Off Peak ticket from London to Birmingham and use it in the peak.

You would, however, need a separate ticket to get from Staplehurst to Euston.

And the flexible ticket's no good for first class.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
The Super Off-Peak return via High Wycombe is also worth considering at £29.70. No restrictions at all on the Staplehurst to London leg, no morning peak restrictions out of London and no evening peak restrictions into London.

hozza94

So... where do I buy those tickets exactly? I am not rushed for it since there is still 2 months. I was getting something like 60quid. How long does the chiltern service take compare to VT?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can buy the ticket at Staplehurst [[stn]SPU[/stn]] station ticket office, or the ticket machine, on the day of travel. If you prefer, you can buy it in advance at any station, or online, the price will be the same (unless you use a website that charges a booking fee, in which case it'll cost more!)

Simply ask for the Off Peak Return via High Wycombe.

There are no peak restrictions out of Stapenhurst on the Route High Wycombe ticket, though some staff who don't know how to look up restrictions (due to poor training) may think otherwise, in which case simply ask them to look up the restriction code.

The journey time is not much longer than from Euston; it's a lot faster than it used to be. Aim for one of the 'loco hauled' trains for extra comfort, if times suit you. All the trains from Marylebone to Birmingham go via High Wycombe, as long as the train goes via that route then the ticket is valid, they don't need to call there.

lemonic

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Found the right ticket. Just 29.70 return with railcard... what a bargain!

You can buy that ticket on the day from the ticket office / from the ticket machine, there is no need to buy in advance, especially 2 months in advance :smile:

TP

Status
Not open for further replies.