• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice needed? Guard V Commercial Guard SWT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit1

New Member
Joined
3 Sep 2016
Messages
4
I'd really welcome some informed advice especially from any SWT employees.

I applied (May 16) and passed assessments and interview (August) for a Commercial guard position at a depot 15 minutes away from me. I am SO pleased!

I've been told by SWT that earliest course start for this will be January 2017. But they've offered me an alternative to start sooner (October) as a non-commercial guard, but at a depot 45 minutes away.

Being really eager to get started I am very tempted just to take the guard role, but am concerned once I sign the contract that I'll get stuck there and that it will take longer to get back to the depot/ job i applied for than if I just wait until the January course? I'm not sure why they would get me all trained up on one set of routes, and then let me move to my original choice where I'd have to learn another set of routes, without at least doing 6 months or so in one place. I feel they might just leave me there and other later applicants may leapfrog over me for the job I originally applied for.

Also a 45 minute drive either side of a shift adds extra exhaustion potential/plus possible traffic issues.

I can see there are advantages to just accepting what has been offered now, after all, what if it gets to January and they cancel the course, or freeze recruitment in anticipation of franchise change. Would it be better to just get into the company with whatever is offered, than hang around waiting for 4 months?

Also it might be easier to learn and practice 'guard' role, for a while before learning tickets separately.

Also wondering how extra training for commercial guard would fit in? Would I be expected to do this while also working as a guard, or would I get the weeks off to go back to the classroom? Shift work fatigue could have an impact on ability to learn, if trying to do both at the same time.

Anyone else had this dilemma? I just can't decide whether to wait for what I applied for or just go for what has been offered?

Experience or advice .........gratefully recieved......
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigfoot

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2013
Messages
1,151
Wait till January and go commercial. You will be trained for abit longer because of the commercial side but pay and job security will be probably better in the long run. Plus 45 min commute isn't fun at 3 or 4am...
 
Joined
6 Nov 2011
Messages
155
Which depot did you apply for and which was offered?

Your commercial training is a 2 week course and this is scheduled into you training. Everyone does the basic guards course and those that will be commercial go back for a 2 week course.

I would wait for the commercial position myself.
 
Last edited:
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
I would definitely recommend waiting and becoming a commercial Guard. The pay will probably be better than a non commercial Guard.
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
4,983
Definitely wait it out. Not just because Commercial is a significantly better job, but because after a year, you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't go for the depot closer to you when you're on your seventh pre-5am start, with a midnight finish the next day.
 

Kermit1

New Member
Joined
3 Sep 2016
Messages
4
Hi and thanks for all your very helpful comments. You are all so very generous with your time and advice.

You are all the reason I passed the tests/interview....... this forum is an absolute goldmine of information for those prepared to trekk through it!

I applied for Farnham and was offered Guildford.

At the moment everyone who has commented seems to be confirming my initial gut reaction to the offer. I think I am just so excited that I want to start immediately, and am possibly letting that cloud my logic. Also reading this forum I have a worry that if i don't accept this now, there is a possibility I'll reget it if they delay the January start date for Farnham, and I'll be stuck wishing I'd just gone for the Guard job in Guildford. Maybe they offered Guildford to me because they know that no jobs in Farnham will be available for a while?

I've gotta phone in and let them know my decision on Monday.

You are helping a lot with your comments.
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
I'm not a swt guard or commercial but considering its only a few months, I'd definitely wait for the commercial role. They are probably desperate to fill guards jobs at Guildford and would take longer to move than wait.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top