• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice needed urgently, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil-D

Hi all, I,m doing a rail course at the moment, but it all seems a little haphazard, and I'm starting to get a little concerned!
I started off by seeing the course advertised by an organisation that helps you get back into work, so applied, the initial bit was a bit chaotic, but I stuck with it. Anyway on Monday I went to the training centre, (I won't name them) for a drugs test, alcohol test, and medical, which I appear to have passed!
A couple of hours later I was sent an e-mail giving me the log-in details for the NR training portal, I had to do an online ICI test(passed it), then a pts test(passed it), then it said that you have to do another test at the training centre, which, as I understand it, is a closed book exam, followed by practical training, in a track scenario.
Now what concerns me is the lack of study material, basically none! I,m the oldest on the course (53) and am from an engineering background, so a lot of the stuff isn't totally alien to me, but the others on the course are younger and most have never worked in any form of engineering, or construction industry, basically they know nothing.
All we were told was to read the document on the NR training page, which after some digging around appears to be the 'keypoints' PTS card, this doesn't contain as much info as I managed to find elsewhere online, I've done a number of courses over the years but this is the first time I've received absolutely no books, information sheets, or whatever. Now as a skilled worker, I know that when you're doing an 'upgrade' as I'll call it, say going from domestic electrical work, to say industrial, you wouldn't expect to be given information regarding stuff you should already know, but when you are starting off in a field about which you know very little, then I was expecting some kind of paperwork.
The trainer who we've only met once, seemed, at least to me, as disinterested, when asked what the itinery was, his reply was along the lines of, ' day one, when you arrive, you'll sit an exam, and in the afternoon sit your PTS, then on day two, we'll start track training, now, as I said in the begining, this is all a little concerning to me, how can you pass an exam, if nobody teaches you what you need to know?
I have a sponsor, and have been virtually guaranteed a job by a company, if, and when I get my sentinel card, any advice please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Regan

Hi do you need to know the general duties for example overhead voltage,third rail voltage,site warden working as a few examples.

Stigy

Established Member
Was there any e-learning type material? It seems like that’s how it is intended. Or it could just be that as an ‘agency’ they’re generally not as thorough or interested as a professional body would be. Unfortunately, I fear with ‘training’ Like this, accidents are likely to happen. I don’t want to go off topic here so will say no more about that aspect.

Phil-D

Was there any e-learning type material? It seems like that’s how it is intended. Or it could just be that as an ‘agency’ they’re generally not as thorough or interested as a professional body would be. Unfortunately, I fear with ‘training’ Like this, accidents are likely to happen. I don’t want to go off topic here so will say no more about that aspect.
I did the e-learning, and passed the ICI, and the network rail online test, apparently, it now turns out that we actually have 2 weeks of training and then the final exam, I just wish people would let me know what's really going on!
Anyway, it now turns out that the job I've been offered isn't actually the job I wanted, I was hoping to train in S&T, well that's what I told them, but the actual, job is doing industrial electrics on buildings, something I've done for years, and don't want to go back into.
I have another meeting with them on Friday, before the actual course starts proper on the following Monday, I'm going to try and find out exactly what the job is, because if it is just the same as I was doing then I might as well just bin it off.
Anyway, thanks to everyone for your advice, it's been very helpful.

Pilotman

Hi Phil

Just seen that you will be required to sit PTS in the afternoon, if it helps try this site as a practice, best of all its free. It might help refresh https://www.uktrainingsolutions.com I know its helped alot of people especially when i trained. Also other free modules if they are relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.