• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnicity4659

Hi all,

I just wanted some opinions on what I should do in regards to my career...

I currently have a live application with a mainline operator for a 20 hour/week permanent role, I had a video interview in March (during lockdown) where I simply recorded myself answering questions they had gave me. I was then informed in April that the position was on hold, so I've not as of yet received a yes or no.

The issue I have now is that I can't see my finances working out for much longer, and I'm heavily considering going for a bus driving job as the local firm are now recruiting again and I meet all requirements for it. Because of the training I'd receive there, I'd not be able to leave the job for 2 years unless I paid the money back. But a positive would be that its full time...

I've been successful in landing interviews for the three jobs I've applied for at the train operator since I've met the minimum age requirements in the winter, mainly because I was "talent spotted" at one of their programmes last year. I've also had promises of job shadowing after my first unsuccessful interview, so I think they're really trying for me. I'm just concerned that if I went for another job that I would fall "off their radar", and even worse, waste all of the effort we have put in?

A tricky predicament I know, especially with the COVID situation. What can I do?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

choochoochoo

Established Member
probably one to ask on a bus driver forum, but has a bus company ever been successful recovering training costs from an early leaver ? Also thought they can only claim training costs if you get your PCV licence. If you don't get your licence, then they couldn't claim costs. Like I said best to get this confirmed by a bus driver.

PaulBusDriver

My advice to you my friend would be to go for the Bus driving job, take the experience and pursue your further career in train driving, because as we all know, it is notoriously slow and by the time you might get a trainee driving position, you would have gained a lot of situational experience of safety critical work and be far past your bond period.

The experience I have gained has helped tremendously with my applications and is very relevant to the safety focussed work of train driver, whilst not directly comparable.

richfoz84

Personally I’d take the bus driver job. Because you need a job and money. Get 2 years experience then whilst in secure employment re apply for the railway and aim for a full time trainee driver role - which could take a while to get anyway. Don’t hold on to what sounds like false hope to me and suffer financially any longer

Belperpete

Established Member
It might be worth contacting the train company and asking what the prospects of them restarting recruitment are. It can't hurt to ask. But ask a specific person, preferably someone who interviewed you, and ideally by phone if you can, rather than just sending an email to the generic recruitment department address that will probably take ages to get a rep!y.

omnicity4659

My advice to you my friend would be to go for the Bus driving job, take the experience and pursue your further career in train driving, because as we all know, it is notoriously slow and by the time you might get a trainee driving position, you would have gained a lot of situational experience of safety critical work and be far past your bond period.

The experience I have gained has helped tremendously with my applications and is very relevant to the safety focussed work of train driver, whilst not directly comparable.
Personally I’d take the bus driver job. Because you need a job and money. Get 2 years experience then whilst in secure employment re apply for the railway and aim for a full time trainee driver role - which could take a while to get anyway. Don’t hold on to what sounds like false hope to me and suffer financially any longer
Thank you both. It's certainly food for thought!

It might be worth contacting the train company and asking what the prospects of them restarting recruitment are. It can't hurt to ask. But ask a specific person, preferably someone who interviewed you, and ideally by phone if you can, rather than just sending an email to the generic recruitment department address that will probably take ages to get a rep!y.
I'll get in touch with them tomorrow to see what they say. I'm not usually one for chasing things haha!

B1990

Hi all,

I just wanted some opinions on what I should do in regards to my career...

I currently have a live application with a mainline operator for a 20 hour/week permanent role, I had a video interview in March (during lockdown) where I simply recorded myself answering questions they had gave me. I was then informed in April that the position was on hold, so I've not as of yet received a yes or no.

The issue I have now is that I can't see my finances working out for much longer, and I'm heavily considering going for a bus driving job as the local firm are now recruiting again and I meet all requirements for it. Because of the training I'd receive there, I'd not be able to leave the job for 2 years unless I paid the money back. But a positive would be that its full time...

I've been successful in landing interviews for the three jobs I've applied for at the train operator since I've met the minimum age requirements in the winter, mainly because I was "talent spotted" at one of their programmes last year. I've also had promises of job shadowing after my first unsuccessful interview, so I think they're really trying for me. I'm just concerned that if I went for another job that I would fall "off their radar", and even worse, waste all of the effort we have put in?

A tricky predicament I know, especially with the COVID situation. What can I do?

I am a coach driver, I started on the buses, I didn't go through a company I gained my licences on my own, I have applied for a few roles within the railway with no joy, with the state of things at the moment within the current situation a bus driver role i can imagine will be highly sought after..

Its a good job, and its a job where you can gain good experience in health and safety. Most companies are very good at recovering money if you were to leave before two years. feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

PaulBusDriver

Thank you both. It's certainly food for thought!

I'll get in touch with them tomorrow to see what they say. I'm not usually one for chasing things haha!
Just to reiterate what choochoochoo said, in my experience of trainees at my bus company leaving before their bond period of two years is up quite often, its not like they have the power to ask for all the money for training back in full. More likely is that they would pass the debt to a debt recovery company. Thats not to say that I would encourage people to rip off a bus company but in all likelihood you would pay it back at a rate you can afford and over a time period you can cope with.
Many people who have just passed leave and go onto something that suits them better.

Established Member
Very few companies have chased departing employees for the driving bond, however at some firms, do expect it to be partially taken from your final wage packet.

omnicity4659

A small update, my contact at the TOC replied to my email within 3 minutes to say that everything is still on hold. I've also dropped an application in with the bus company. Fingers crossed! :)

BloominMan

If the bus job comes up I'd take it. At the end of the day in this climate you can't afford to be waiting around. Jobs will be filled without delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.