• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on Cambridge/ Huntingdon ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

I need to travel on a thursday from Taunton to Cambridge, off peak, and return to Taunton the next day from Huntingdon, off peak. Also travel between Cambridge and Huntingdon on return day but before 0900.
Can anyone advise on the cheapest way to do this with flexible tickets please?
I've thought of Taunton Huntingdon off peak return, and Hitchin Cambridge singles.
I think overnight BOJ at Hitchin is allowed on a Taunton Huntingdon off peak ticket outward. Can anyone confirm?
Presume best route Taunton Huntingdon is via London? What are the restrictions on an off peak return out of Paddington in the PM?

Thanks for any help?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I need to travel on a thursday from Taunton to Cambridge, off peak, and return to Taunton the next day from Huntingdon, off peak. Also travel between Cambridge and Huntingdon on return day but before 0900.
I wouldn't be able to confidently state the cheapest way, but brfares.com is very useful and may well find the cheapest combination of tickets (though it may not and does not promise to).

I've thought of Taunton Huntingdon off peak return, and Hitchin Cambridge singles.
I think overnight BOJ at Hitchin is allowed on a Taunton Huntingdon off peak ticket outward. Can anyone confirm?
That's fine.

Neither has any break of journey restrictions.

Presume best route Taunton Huntingdon is via London?
I'm not sure how you define best, but it will certainly be quickest!

What are the restrictions on an off peak return out of Paddington in the PM?

Yes, they are as follows:-
SVR restriction from brfares.com said:
RETURN TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS apply from the stations listed below. Tickets are valid: On services timed to depart London Paddington between 0810 and 1640, and from 1831.

But perhaps the Super Off Peak Return (SSR) will meet your needs:
SSR restriction from brfares.com said:
On services timed to depart London Paddington between 1010 and 1501, and from 1901.

(The restrictions can also be found on the National Rail Enquiries website, but I find it quicker and easier to quote from brfares.com)

John @ home

Established Member
I think a return ticket Taunton - Ely might do the trick.

The cheapest flexible ticket is the Super Off-Peak Return Taunton - Ely route + Any Permitted, which costs £79, or £52.15 if you hold a National Railcard. The time restrictions for this ticket are described in Validity Code XC.

If these times don't suit, the next ticket to consider is the Off-Peak Return Taunton - Ely route + Any Permitted, which costs £99.50, or £65.65 if you hold a National Railcard. The time restrictions for this ticket are described in Validity Code LC.

Note that the time restrictions apply between Taunton and London only. These tickets have no time restrictions between London and Ely in either direction, and are valid via Cambridge or via Huntingdon. You will be able to use the outward portion of your ticket to travel from Taunton to Cambridge via London, and to break your outward journey at Cambridge. If your return travel is the next day, you may be able to resume the outward leg of your journey for Cambridge - Ely, but this is a complex issue and we will be able to advise when we know your proposed times of travel. If you're not allowed to resume the outward leg of your journey, a Single Cambridge - Ely costs £4.10. Most Railcards would give no discount at the time you need to travel. The cost would be £2.70 with a Disabled Person's Railcard.

From Ely, you are able to travel on the return leg of your journey on any day within one month of the date shown on your ticket. You can travel to Huntingdon via Peterborough and break your journey at Huntingdon. You may resume it the same day, or on any day within one month of the date shown on your ticket.

Last edited:

dzug2

I'd have thought that the best way from Cambridge to Huntingdon was by bus - possibly on the guided busway. It's not startlingly faster than the train but a lot more direct

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The quickest way from Cambridge to Huntigdon is easily the Guided Bus- service B, from the city centre bus station. Uses double deckers unlike A, C and D.

Whilst I'm no fan of busways, I'd argue against it being a white elephant- that would imply something that's little used, crumbling away. Reality is that demand, especially at peak times, is much higher than forecast with many more services per hour at weekends than originally planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.