• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on changeover as "pause and resume"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactuscat

Hi all.

Like many in my industry, I'm about to be furloughed for three months due to COVID related closures, and need to make up the cash in all ways possible!

I currently have an annual season ticket - Brighton to London Zones 1-6, Thameslink Only. Cost £4,456 when purchased 26th November 2019. Refunding it online today would return £2,725.40, but (assuming I return to work in exactly three months) I would need to spend 5*£439.70 on equivalent monthly tickets to take me up to the end of November 2020. Net gain only £526.90.

I've been considering instead requesting a changeover for this ticket; eg Brighton to Burgess Hill - £1,332 per annum at today's price - would be a (rough) net refund of £781 over three months.

I've read on this board about using a changeover in this way, but as the threads are older I wanted to check that the rules on changeovers hadn't changed since then? As my current ticket is Thameslink Only, would I need to find another Thameslink Only route for the changeover, or is that irrelevant? If I don't intend to use the ticket at all for the next three months, is there a cheaper route I should change to instead?

Any advice very gratefully received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cactuscat

Apologies & thanks - I somehow missed that thread when skimming through existing posts. Does indeed answer my questions - namely that TOC doesn't matter so I can, in theory, changeover to a Hatton to Lapworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.