• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on Northern routings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

Hi all,

could some experts from the North please advise me on the best routing and tickets for the following journey?

Sunday 8th April (Easter Sunday), 1 adult 2 children, family railcard

Chester to Wigan,
30 -60 mins in Wigan, then Wigan to Man United ground Old Trafford, arrive 1200- 1230.
Leave Man U after match which ends around 1530,
Man Utd back to Chester (or Chirk)

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mullin

I've not checked this as I'm on my phone - but if you could avoid Wigan, would a Chester to Southport anytime return be best? Break journey in Manc Picc (as it's a direct train on Sundays)??

Established Member
You'd need to buy a ticket to Manchester FC from Piccadilly as well with the above, as I wouldn't have thought a CDR between Chester and Southport is valid. I've also looked at the prices of a GM Rail Ranger ticket and A Group Wayfarer but these seem more expensive.

Help courtesy of a Leeds fan!

OK sorry for changing this so many times. Triangular journeys are hard to get right, and it was hard to get validity and break of journey at Wigan...

0830 Chester - Liverpool Lime Street 0913
0931 Liverpool Lime Street - Wigan North Western 1008
1036 or 1136 Wigan Wallgate - Deansgate.
Tram to/from Old Trafford
1650 Manchester Piccadilly - Liverpool Lime Street 1754 (also calls Oxford Road 1652)
1813 Liverpool Lime Street - Chester 1856

Tickets:

Chester - Huyton Anytime Day Returns, Route Via Birkenhead, £7.05
Huyton - Manchester Stations Off Peak Day Returns, £11.15 (valid via Wigan and valid for Break of Journey)
Tram returns to/from city centre: £4.80

Total: £23.00

Alternatively you can use the direct 0858 train to Wigan via Altrincham (with the break in Manchester on the way back) and return the same way from Manchester at 1711 by splitting tickets Chester - Manchester (Route Via Altrincham) and Manchester - Wigan. Unfortunately this only gives you 25 minutes max in Wigan in the morning since you arrive at 1111 and have to get the 1136 to Manchester. Total cost this way would be £21.25. You cannot use a through Chester-Wigan ticket because the route via Altrincham is not valid and you are breaking journey on the return, so you can't claim 'direct train'. Or if you wanted to return the faster way via Helsby you could do a change of route excess on the return portion of your Chester-Manchester for £2.15 total.

Last edited:

Established Member
The Southport train goes to Wigan Wallgate as well, so unless the Chester - Southport ticket is routed via Liverpool it should be valid.

The Southport train goes to Wigan Wallgate as well, so unless the Chester - Southport ticket is routed via Liverpool it should be valid.

It is questionable whether break of journey is allowed when you're claiming a 'direct' journey. In other words, if your journey isn't between the two stations on the ticket then you can't necessarily claim a direct journey for it and break on the way.

I have updated my post with a sure-fire valid solution.

Established Member
I'd also expect G4S at Wigan Wallgate to probably pick up on it, even if it is allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.