• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on purchasing an All Line Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
In a few weeks I will be buying an All Line Rover.

The thing is, I have about 50 Rail Travel Vouchers (and probably more when I purchase the ALR) which I imagine will take a while to process, particularly if the staff need to write something on each one.

Am I able to buy an ALR a few days in advance, so that I don't have to waste time purchasing the thing on the first day that I can use it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minilad

Established Member
Yes you can. Just remember to tell them what date you want it to start.
And check it when you get it to make sure it has the correct dates on

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't see why not. ALR is just like any other rover.

I would recommend doing it at a quieter time beforehand, as they're quite a handful to process if you have so many RTVs.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Well I would like to offer First Capital Connect a BIG thank you for issuing £20 worth of compensation using £1 and £1.33 (?) travel vouchers. Thanks again FCC, both for issuing so many vouchers and for issuing some with pence to make adding up the total amount quite difficult!

island

Veteran Member
Just make sure you bring them to an FCC ticket office, and then they have nobody to blame but themselves!

EltonRoad

Although that does sound a bit ridiculous, in the past I've had a £25 voucher issued, which is a bit annoying if you keep having to make £10 journeys, not together, and therefore can't use the voucher.

RJ

Established Member
Although that does sound a bit ridiculous, in the past I've had a £25 voucher issued, which is a bit annoying if you keep having to make £10 journeys, not together, and therefore can't use the voucher.

You can use it, you just won't get any change. If you know you'll be making certain trips, why not buy tickets for two or three at the same time?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They can be found on eBay or someone here may buy them, for a few quid less than the face value.

All Line Rover

Established Member
They can be found on eBay or someone here may buy them, for a few quid less than the face value.

Really? :o Personally I wouldn't buy them off eBay, because you can never be 100% sure that they aren't fake, and you don't want to be caught using fake vouchers! I'd never sell them either, because since I travel by train so often they are like bank notes to me.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

Really? :o Personally I wouldn't buy them off eBay, because you can never be 100% sure that they aren't fake, and you don't want to be caught using fake vouchers! I'd never sell them either, because since I travel by train so often they are like bank notes to me.

I think yorkie is having a laugh - the vouchers quite clearly state that they are not transferable. It just seems that this is ignored :)

EltonRoad

EltonRoad said:
in the past I've had a £25 voucher issued, which is a bit annoying if you keep having to make £10 journeys, not together, and therefore can't use the voucher.

You can use it, you just won't get any change. If you know you'll be making certain trips, why not buy tickets for two or three at the same time?

I'm not going to pay for a £10 ticket with a £25 voucher!

And - I didn't know I was going to make all the journeys otherwise I'd have bought the tickets together. :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think yorkie is having a laugh - the vouchers quite clearly state that they are not transferable. It just seems that this is ignored :)
I have never been issued one but was well aware that eBay have always allowed them to be sold, even at a time when they were really clamping down on train tickets being sold. I am very surprised to hear they say they are not transferable, and in my experience they are often transferred. I do not see anything in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage that prevents them being transferred (obviously for tickets there is such a rule) and I struggle to believe that doing so could fall foul of any byelaws (but perhaps someone can confirm?) as they are not a ticket. So I suspect it's a rule that isn't enforceable, nor enforced?

me123

Established Member
The RTV clearly states in the bottom right hand corner that it is not transferrable. However, in reality, you couldn't really enforce it. You may be able to restrict sales on eBay and other similar sites (although if what Yorkie's said is true, they don't bother), but transferring them between friends and family is nearly impossible to stop. In reality, it's not enforced and it's generally unenforceable.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Correct. I have been given them several times by friends and relatives that have no use for them. I see nothing wrong in using them!

First class

Established Member
Has anyone seen the new "information card" which is required to be issued with sales of the ALR product?

Magnadata have been appointed as the new distributor for station literature. For all rail station literature orders relating to:

•16-25 Railcard, Family & Friends Railcard, Senior Railcard and Disabled Persons Railcard
•National Rail Guide to Tickets
•Advance Condition Cards and All Line Rail Rover Conditions Cards•Replacement Railcard pads
Please order through MAGTOC or use the Magnadata contacts:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone got any idea when the ALR "Information Card" was issued?

Magnadata have been appointed as the new distributor for station literature. For all rail station literature orders relating to:

•16-25 Railcard, Family & Friends Railcard, Senior Railcard and Disabled Persons Railcard
•National Rail Guide to Tickets
•Advance Condition Cards and All Line Rail Rover Conditions Cards
•Replacement Railcard pads
Please order through MAGTOC or use the Magnadata contacts:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.