• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on return travel to a station which only has passenger services once a week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamo

Hello all, I wonder if you can help.

I'm looking to travel from London (most likely Kings Cross) to Kirton-in-Lindsey in Lincolnshire.

There are only trains on that line for passengers (unfortunately) on a Saturday. For once, this fits with my schedule - outwards at least - I can change at Retford and get picked up at Kirton.

I don't know when I'd like to return though, so I need an open return. I know the return will be a couple of days later - say a Tuesday - so I don't have the option of a return starting at Kirton.

On a Saturday, the line goes through Gainsborough central - no services any other day. I would possibly be able to get to Gainsborough Lea Road on a Tuesday, and travel back via either Retford or Doncaster.

Would starting my return journey at Lea Road, via either Retford or Doncaster, be permitted with an open return to Kirton Lindsey, or should I just forget it and go to Scunny instead?

Incidentally - and completely separately - is there a good station at which to split tickets if travelling to Kirton/Gainsborough/Scunthorpe from London?

Thanks for your time.

Jamo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
A Super Off-peak Return is £65.20 and valid at all times on the Saturday. On the return journey, if it is Monday - Friday the restriction means you cannot use a train getting into King's Cross before 11.17.

Now, I'm not actually too sure of the rules about stations where there is a limited service. However, since the ticket allows break of journey (and therefore starting short), I would say that you could be able to get on at Gainsborough Lea Road, and go via Retford. You'd have to check the routeing guide to see if you can go via Doncaster, although I suspect you may not be able to.

jamo

Thank you. I wouldn't want to get back into London before 11.17, as that'd involve getting out of bed early...!

The problem is that Lea Road isn't officially on the route between Kirton & Retford. Would that cause issues?

I'm afraid I have no idea what the routing guide is (though I can guess) and even less idea how to examine it. Is it online? I apologise for my lack of knowledge.

Cheers

Jamo

Established Member
Someone will be able to confirm it, but if you try to book a return to Gainsborough Central, on the return journey some booking engines will tell you to walk to Lea Road. I don't see how a guard could have a problem with you using a Kirton Lindsey ticket, seeing as this is probably the easiest way of returning from there!

The routeing guide is available online from ATOC, although will take you a while to get your head around it. Someone on here will probably be able to tell you for definite in the morning (I'm off to bed).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The Routeing Guide is here.

Kirton has four associated Routeing Points: Barnetby, Doncaster, Lincoln and Retford, amongst which the first two fail the fares check. Therefore you may not travel via Doncaster using your London Terminals - Kirton ticket.

Permitted maps for London - Lincoln are: EE, ER, WA+EE
Permitted maps for London - Retford are: EE+JL, ER, MM+EM, MM+SH, WA+EE+JL

Any route traceable from these listed maps without doubling back between stations is permitted.

Gainsborough Lea Road is on the shortest route from Kirton to Lincoln so it must be valid.

EE permits London King's X - Peterborough - Sleaford - Lincoln - Gainsborough Lea Road - Kirton.
ER permits London King's X - Retford - Gainsborough Central - Kirton.
WA+EE doesn't add anything extra in particular, expect permitting departure from London Liverpool Street via the two Hertford stations.
EE+JL is the same.
MM+EM permits London St Pancras - Nottingham - Lincoln / Retford - Gainsborough - Kirton.
MM+SH permits London St Pancras - Sheffield - Retford - Gainsborough Central - Kirton.
WA+EE+JL doesn't add much else.

jamo

Thank you, that's incredibly helpful. One final thing then - if Lincoln is one of the 'routing points', would I be able to travel Gainsborough Lea Road-Lincoln-Newark Northgate-London, or am I forced to take the Lincoln-Sleaford-Pboro-London route?

Edit: I think I'm reading the map (ER) as though the Newark route is allowed... but confirmation would be great!

Thanks again for your help, it's absolutely superb.

All the best.
Jamo.

Last edited:

junglejames

Established Member
Thank you, that's incredibly helpful. One final thing then - if Lincoln is one of the 'routing points', would I be able to travel Gainsborough Lea Road-Lincoln-Newark Northgate-London, or am I forced to take the Lincoln-Sleaford-Pboro-London route?

Edit: I think I'm reading the map (ER) as though the Newark route is allowed... but confirmation would be great!

Thanks again for your help, it's absolutely superb.

All the best.
Jamo.

Having just checked map ER, yes, Lea Road- Lincoln- Newark- Kings Cross would be a valid route.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Beware you dont get many services from Lincoln to Newark Northgate though. I can only see one option going this way, leaving Lead Rd at 0938 on a week day.
There are one or two options taking you via Doncaster, but as has been worked out, going via Doncaster isnt allowed.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes I agree with James. Map ER does permit travelling via Lincoln and Newark which I missed. However as being pointed out, for the majority of the day, it involves a walk between Castle and North Gate stations.

jamo

Yes I agree with James. Map ER does permit travelling via Lincoln and Newark which I missed. However as being pointed out, for the majority of the day, it involves a walk between Castle and North Gate stations.

Thanks - yes you're right, but it's usually much quicker (and more enjoyable) a journey. Thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.