• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on using BR staff travel pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.d87

Hi all,

My mum is planning on taking a trip to Blackpool tomorrow with my nephew and was not sure on the rules regarding buying a Child Priv ticket.Im not sure of their exact name but these tickets were around the £2 mark and valid from any station to another. As she is travelling on a Widows BR Travel pass is she still eligible to purchase said ticket or are these tickets for exclusive use of actual staff? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
Hi all,

My mum is planning on taking a trip to Blackpool tomorrow with my nephew and was not sure on the rules regarding buying a Child Priv ticket.Im not sure of their exact name but these tickets were around the £2 mark and valid from any station to another. As she is travelling on a Widows BR Travel pass is she still eligible to purchase said ticket or are these tickets for exclusive use of actual staff? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Yes, she is entitled to purchase said tickets. The discount code is PRD in avantix machine and is staff t/card retired. Still 2 pounds flat fare and it will say CHPRIV on the ticket.

p.d87

Yes, she is entitled to purchase said tickets. The discount code is PRD in avantix machine and is staff t/card retired. Still 2 pounds flat fare and it will say CHPRIV on the ticket.

Even though she is the widow of retired? her staff travel pass always said spous e of retired not staff just that I was under the impression that only staff were allowed access to these discount tickets

CarterUSM

Established Member
Even though she is the widow of retired? her staff travel pass always said spous e of retired not staff just that I was under the impression that only staff were allowed access to these discount tickets

As far as I am aware, yes. She will have the same leisure travel facilities as her husband had. I've sold many of these tickets. Perhaps someone else could comment to be absolutely certain however?

Yes you are correct. My mum's PRIV used to say spouse of retired and now says widow of retired. She (and the rest of my family) is still entitled to purchase PRIV tickets.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Yes you are correct. My mum's PRIV used to say spouse of retired and now says widow of retired. She (and the rest of my family) is still entitled to purchase PRIV tickets.

I think the OP meant with regards to purchasing a child priv for the juveniles, but i am pretty certain she can, i've never heard of anything to the contrary.

p.d87

I think the OP meant with regards to purchasing a child priv for the juveniles, but i am pretty certain she can, i've never heard of anything to the contrary.

well thanks for the replies. My mum went into enquire about this to Glasgow Central station booking office and was told by the staff member behind the window that she was not eligible to purchase these tickets as she is only the widow of retired and not actual BR staff. I find this a little bit strange as I thought that considering that she has the same travel facilities then she would be able to purchase these tickets.

janb

well thanks for the replies. My mum went into enquire about this to Glasgow Central station booking office and was told by the staff member behind the window that she was not eligible to purchase these tickets as she is only the widow of retired and not actual BR staff. I find this a little bit strange as I thought that considering that she has the same travel facilities then she would be able to purchase these tickets.

For the record The Manual says,

Up to four accompanied children per Card endorsed "Retired" or "Widow(er)" (provided holder is aged 60 or over) travelling in Standard accommodation are charged £2·00 flat fare.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
My booking office training with First in 1998 didn't include anything about staff travel. The first time I saw the old style metal badge type pass I thought it was jewellery!

I hoped things were a bit better these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.