• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Good afternoon folks

I wish to travel from Kent House to Luton Airport Parkway this Saturday to meet somebody coming off the plane and wondered how I would be best to pay my way.

I have a PAYG Oyster and intend travelling via SouthEastern to Herne Hill where I can cross the platform to catch a Thameslink service direct to LAP.

Can I buy an extension from the Oyster boundary from my origin station (i.e. Kent House) or do I have to get off the train at Elstree & Borehamwood (i.e. the Oyster boundary), touch out and buy a return to LAP?

Obviously buying a return ticket from the Oyster boundary to LAP from Kent House would be the most convenient option to me, but does this option exist?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
If the ticket office at Kent House is open, you should be able to buy a ticket from Boundary Zone 6 to Luton Airport Parkway station (£8 super offpeak day return valid on any train on a Saturday) or to Luton Airport (£10.50 super offpeak day return and includes the shuttle bus both ways between the station and the airport).

OwlMan

Established Member
If the ticket office at Kent House is open, you should be able to buy a ticket from Boundary Zone 6 to Luton Airport Parkway station (£8 super offpeak day return valid on any train on a Saturday) or to Luton Airport (£10.50 super offpeak day return and includes the shuttle bus both ways between the station and the airport).
You can not use a Boundary Zone ticket with PAYG.

You will have to get off at Elstree & Bto enable you to touch out. You can buy the ticket from Kent House for the Elstree & b to Luton section or buy it at Elstree. Depending on the location of the oyster reader you may be able to reboard the same train if you have already purchased the ticket

Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
Apologies for the elementary mistake of forgetting that you would need to touch out with PAYG.

trevmonk

Northbound trains from Elstree stop at Platform 2 (and occasionally Platform 4) both of which are across the footbridge from the Oyster barriers on Platform 1. You wouldn't have time to touch out and get back on the same train, although I have seen people do it on southbound trains stopping at Platform 1 who have positioned themselves in the last carriage that stops near the exit.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Thanks guys

If I can buy the Elstree - LAP return from Kent House then that would be better than queuing at Elstree. It's a shame that I will have to get off the train and board the next service but a little inconvenience is better than a PF, UFN or worst still, court proceedings.

I wonder if it would be better (and cheaper) for me to buy a 1 day travelcard at a cost of £12 + the £10.50 extension fare from Elstree so that I can stay on the train. I've only ever used my oyster for travelling into Z1 so have no idea what it would cost me to Z6.

Romilly

Established Member
If you stay on National Rail as you plan to do, Kent House to Elstree & Borehamwood is £3.70 offpeak (i.e. all day Saturday) on Oyster PAYG, so £7.40 plus the extension. It would be more if you used the underground through central London.

A Kent House-Luton Airport Parkway return on a Saturday would be £21 (or £23.50 to "Luton Airport" i.e. including the shuttle bus).

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
If you stay on National Rail as you plan to do, Kent House to Elstree & Borehamwood is £3.70 offpeak (i.e. all day Saturday) on Oyster PAYG, so £7.40 plus the extension. It would be more if you used the underground through central London.

A Kent House-Luton Airport Parkway return on a Saturday would be £21 (or £23.50 to "Luton Airport" i.e. including the shuttle bus).

Thanks for the heads-up on the cost. Obviously a no-brainer then doing the Oyster + extension.

And of course, I will have to remind myself and my companion that I/we will have to alight at Elstree on the return journey to touch in ...he'll be a bit bemused none the less as he emigrated from the UK long before Oyster was invented.

Or perhaps I should just forget the whole idea and pay the full £23.50 instead:|

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'd buy:

Kent House - Mill Hill Broadway Anytime Day Return £8.60
Mill Hill Broadway - Luton Airport Parkway Super Off-peak Day Return £8.50 (it's £11.00 to the Airport including the bus).
Total £17.10

The train must call at Mill Hill Broadway.

This is more expensive than the Oyster PAYG split proposed by the OP which comes to £15.40, but avoids the need to de-train at Elstree to touch in/out.

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
A better way would be to use Oyster from Kent House to London, then a ticket from London Thameslink to Luton Airport. This would be the same price as changing at Elstree, but would allow you to use the fast trains to Luton.

You can touch out at any of the stations between Blackfriars and St Pancras. Farringdon might be the easiest choice as I think it has Oyster validators on the platform.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't think there are Oyster validators on the platform at Farringdon so the OP would need to de-train.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There definitely are validators on the platforms.

I've just passed through Farringdon and there are validatirs on the southbound national rail platforms. Couldn't see any on the northbound though.

SAPhil

I've just passed through Farringdon and there are validatirs on the southbound national rail platforms. Couldn't see any on the northbound though.

The absensce of validators on the Northbound platform is why I pay through the nose for a travelcard season rather than a London Thameslink/ PAYG Oyster combination! The validators are only there for interchange with London Transport so they are on or near the Underground platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.