• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice re possible commute from Arnos Grove area to Hertford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Not sure but I have seen here that paper tickets in some cases are cheaper then using Oyster.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm considering a job opportunity in Hertford. Would it be worth using Oyster or shall I use paper tickets to commute to Hertford North?

It really depends on when you are travelling and where from. For as long as paper tickets apply alongside Oyster / Contactless on different fare structures, the value of using either paper tickets or Oyster / Contactless has to be considered for each specific journey.

Envy123

It really depends on when you are travelling and where from. For as long as paper tickets apply alongside Oyster / Contactless on different fare structures, the value of using either paper tickets or Oyster / Contactless has to be considered for each specific journey.

2 buses to Alexandra Palace, then the train to Hertford North then the bus to work. Morning peak.

On the way back, I can go via Bowes Park/Bounds Green and one bus on each end.

higthomas

I'd be pretty sure that if it's gonna be long term an annual ticket (not available on oyster) will be your best bet.

Envy123

I'd be pretty sure that if it's gonna be long term an annual ticket (not available on oyster) will be your best bet.

Maybe, but there are a lot of routes to work and I want to be safe, in case one route goes down. Is there a single season ticket that covers all these routes?:

• bus, Arnos Grove to Hertford North, plus bus
  • bus, Silver Street to Hertford East, plus walk
  • bus, bus, Alexandra Palace to Hertford North, plus bus
  • bus, Arnos Grove to Southgate, bus, Winchmore Hill to Hertford North, plus bus
  • bus, New Southgate to Hatfield, bus
  • bus, Arnos Grove to Broxbourne, bus
I think this would be better off in a separate thread.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Maybe, but there are a lot of routes to work and I want to be safe, in case one route goes down. Is there a single season ticket that covers all these routes?:

• bus, Arnos Grove to Hertford North, plus bus
  • bus, Silver Street to Hertford East, plus walk
  • bus, bus, Alexandra Palace to Hertford North, plus bus
  • bus, Arnos Grove to Southgate, bus, Winchmore Hill to Hertford North, plus bus
  • bus, New Southgate to Hatfield, bus
  • bus, Arnos Grove to Broxbourne, bus
In a word, no.

Who operates the bus in Hertford? If it's not TfL then that bit will have to be separate.
A Hertford Stations to zones 3-6 travelcard season will cover Crews Hill to Hertford North and Turkey Street/Enfield Lock to Hertford East. You'd need an additional ticket to use Hadley Wood to Hatfield. How do you get from Arnos Grove to Broxbourne?

Envy123

In a word, no.

Who operates the bus in Hertford? If it's not TfL then that bit will have to be separate.
A Hertford Stations to zones 3-6 travelcard season will cover Cresw Hill to Hertford North and Turkey Street/Enfield Lock to Hertford East. You'd need an additional ticket to use Hadley Wood to Hatfield. How do you get from Arnos Grove to Broxbourne?

Thank you. Had a feeling it would be like this.

The Hertford bus is not operated by TfL, so I would need a PlusBus if I take a bus from Hertford North or a separate ticket if I don't.

The Arnos Grove to Broxbourne would be done via Finsbury Park and Tottenham Hale.

So it seems like buying on the day, whatever route is best at the time, would be better.

higthomas

Thank you. Had a feeling it would be like this.

The Hertford bus is not operated by TfL, so I would need a PlusBus if I take a bus from Hertford North or a separate ticket if I don't.

The Arnos Grove to Broxbourne would be done via Finsbury Park and Tottenham Hale.

So it seems like buying on the day, whatever route is best at the time, would be better.

I highly doubt it. If your normal commute is Hertford North to Alexandra Palace + bus or Hertford North - Bowes Park + Bus, this would cost £13.10 + £3 = £16.10. If you made this journey on 80% of working days in a year this would cost you (£16.10 * 220 * 80%) £2833. An annual Hertford Stations to Zones 3-6 travelcard, which would cover this journey costs £2812.

So given it also covers most of most of the other journeys it is very worthwile, not to mention it would get you a gold card, so 33% off other tickets and free leisure travel into London.

Envy123

Thank you guys :)

If I get the job, I’d then get the Hertford Stations to Zones 3-6 travelcard (with PlusBus add-on). At least it would cover most of the routes, in case of disruption.

I initially thought that season tickets wouldn’t be worthwhile due to directional peak pricing, but it seems GTR does not price contra peak flows a lot lower than the reverse (unlike SWR)?

PeterC

Established Member
Have you checked that there are buses to your destination in Hertford at the necessary times? If you need a bus from both East and North stations then you must be working an uncomfortable distance from the town centre. I have looked at a random selection of timetables for routes at Hertford North and the best frequencies seem to be 1 per hour.

To be honest if you aren't within walking distance at the Hertford end then I would seriously consider driving if you can.

Envy123

Have you checked that there are buses to your destination in Hertford at the necessary times? If you need a bus from both East and North stations then you must be working an uncomfortable distance from the town centre. I have looked at a random selection of timetables for routes at Hertford North and the best frequencies seem to be 1 per hour.

To be honest if you aren't within walking distance at the Hertford end then I would seriously consider driving if you can.

I calculated using both TfL's and Google Maps journey planners.

Google Maps seems to say that the 395 bus connects well with the train and takes me to Fairfax Road, which is then easily walkable to the office. TfL is more pessimistic and requires a 20 minute walk after a bus. Now, I walk 10 minutes to the station from my work, so double that and it's not so much of a problem if I walk on a level surface.

The most reliable method is going via Silver Street and Hertford East and walking 25 minutes direct to the office.

This is at least until I learn to drive and the commute becomes a dream.

Envy123

Driving in London and commute being a dream do not work together in any way shape or form I'm afraid.

I thought driving to Hertfordshire in the morning peak would be great as it would be against the flow? Or do a lot of people do the reverse commute by car?

higthomas

I thought driving to Hertfordshire in the morning peak would be great as it would be against the flow? Or do a lot of people do the reverse commute by car?

A: You have to get out of London first, so that'll not be great.
B: There's auch less pronounced counter peak in outer London/Home counties. People are just kinda going all over the place as they try and do those journeys which, like yours, don't easily follow rail lines.

Envy123

A: You have to get out of London first, so that'll not be great.
B: There's auch less pronounced counter peak in outer London/Home counties. People are just kinda going all over the place as they try and do those journeys which, like yours, don't easily follow rail lines.

Right, thank you.

I guess going via Hertford East is the way to go as it's walkable from the Hertford end.

higthomas

Right, thank you.

I guess going via Hertford East is the way to go as it's walkable from the Hertford end.

Yeah, sounds possible. I'd say, spend a few weeks trying the different routes and seeing the one that works best for you.
Maybe try borrowing/renting a car once you've learnt to drive and try that.

Envy123

Yeah, sounds possible. I'd say, spend a few weeks trying the different routes and seeing the one that works best for you.
Maybe try borrowing/renting a car once you've learnt to drive and try that.

I'll try the routes that my maps app shows at the time and see which routes I will end up using most often. If all my routes are covered by the season ticket, I'll go for that. But if I use the routes via Hatfield or Broxbourne and bus (and I don't think that would be covered by PlusBus) even just sometimes, I will have to consider paying a bit more per year for added flexibility.

I also checked the driving route - it doesn't seem bad on the map. It's a 37 minute drive via Potters Bar and a motorway. I'll try it out once I learn to drive, as the office does have staff parking.

Status
Not open for further replies.