• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

advice: time to leave for train to plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Hello,

We have various threads on here about taking the train to the airport, example

Is there any advice, either officially from a TOC, or informal advice from experts on here, about how much time to leave between train arrival and close of check in?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
While it is fairly well known to be a bit excessive in most cases, most airlines advise planning to arrive at the terminal at least three hours before the flight.

Personally I would plan not to be in a rush if there was one cancellation and a short delay on top of maybe 15-30 minutes. If there are multiple cancellations that's usually because things have fallen to bits and is probably time to take the financial hit and take a taxi, or change the flight time if that is an option.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Is there any advice, either officially from a TOC, or informal advice from experts on here, about how much time to leave between train arrival and close of check in?
Long-haul or domestic, with checked baggage or without, and which airport?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I normally aim to arrive about one hour before check-in opens, knowing full well I'd mostly be spending time sitting around in the terminal Starbucks wishing I'd stayed at home. I've been glad of it before though, travelling from Newcastle to fly from Stansted.

EssexGonzo

Depends on the airport really. Depends on if you have to check in a bag.

Stansted - an excuse of an airport so I go for the full two hours.

London City - I used to arrive between 45 and 60 minutes beforehand and still have time to spare.

Heathrow T5 - about 60 to 90 minutes but that's more to give myself a buffer for train/M25 delays. The terminal itself works really well.

And as for using the train - I'd normally give myself a train in hand i.e. ensure that there's at least one later train just in case of a problem.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Heathrow T5 - about 60 to 90 minutes but that's more to give myself a buffer for train/M25 delays. The terminal itself works really well.

Can I add to that that in my experience the new Queen's Terminal (T2) is very similar to T5 and works nicely as well. A real gain for the airport, and one likely to make me choose it over others, when it was previously on the "avoid at all costs" list.

DeeGee

Depends on the airport really. Depends on if you have to check in a bag.

Stansted - an excuse of an airport so I go for the full two hours.

I'm already starting to panic about a train arrival at 10:40 for a departure at 12:10! What causes the delays? I need to pick up currency, but won't have to check a bag.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm already starting to panic about a train arrival at 10:40 for a departure at 12:10! What causes the delays? I need to pick up currency, but won't have to check a bag.

I've never found Stansted too bad other than the immigration queues on arrival. Security queues are generally short. That is *very* off-peak, particularly if a weekday, as well.

sheff1

Established Member
First Transpennine Express recommend you plan to arrive at Manchester Airport a minimum of 2.5 hours before departure of your plane.

They also say:
FTPE Passenger's Charter said:
If you have allowed sufficient time for your journey and you miss a flight by being seriously delayed by First TransPennine Express, and the
cause was within our control, we will assist in every possible way with your onward travel arrangements. If necessary, we will provide overnight accommodation to enable you to make an early start the following day.

island

Veteran Member
Long-haul or domestic, with checked baggage or without, and which airport?

I'll add to that which class, and do you have any relevant frequent flyer memberships?

(I hold a BA gold card which entitles me to use any check in desk at the airport, including business class and first class, so last time I arrived at Heathrow with the most absurd queues at general check in and business, I was able to walk up to an empty first desk.)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There are simply too many variables for there to be a simple answer to this question.

najaB

Veteran Member
I've never found Stansted too bad other than the immigration queues on arrival. Security queues are generally short. That is *very* off-peak, particularly if a weekday, as well.
I've only ever travelled through Stansted once and the queuing was inordinate. Put me off using it again even though I'm down in Essex quite frequently of late.

34D

Established Member
There are simply too many variables for there to be a simple answer to this question.

True. Can there be a topside suggestion?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'll add to that which class, and do you have any relevant frequent flyer memberships?

(I hold a BA gold card which entitles me to use any check in desk at the airport, including business class and first class, so last time I arrived at Heathrow with the most absurd queues at general check in and business, I was able to walk up to an empty first desk.)

In terms of being 'on time' is it ones time through the first check in desk that is important? Or is it ones time at the gate?

najaB

Veteran Member
In terms of being 'on time' is it ones time through the first check in desk that is important? Or is it ones time at the gate?
Both. There will be a check-in closing time, after which the airline can refuse to allow you to check in and/or refuse to accept your hold luggage. Then you also need to present yourself at the gate in time or your bags will be removed and you may be denied boarding. Check-on closing time is based on the average time taken to clear security/customs.

Hence the questions as to if you're travelling with hold luggage.

fowler9

Established Member
If I am flying from Liverpool I allow two hours minimum and I live an hour walk from the Airport. Manchester the same if I have money for a taxi. As Greenback said there are so many variables especially with aviation where there might be no other flight that day or if you have to pay for a different flight it is stupidly expensive. Brisbane to Christchurch I was there six hours before the flight. Auckland to Santiago four hours. Buenos Aires to Heathrow four hours. Hong Kong to Melbourne four hours. Liverpool to Dublin less than an hour one occasion. Ha ha. Broke the two hour rule.

To put it another way how much do you need to be in the country you are going to and how much can you afford to stay in the one you are in. Plan accordingly. Use Caution. How reliable is the transport where you are. When travelling by bus between cities to catch planes in South America I have allowed days.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you're on time at the check in desk then you'll struggle to be late at the gate

I've nearly managed it, only once though. Ha ha.

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
As others have said - it depends on various factors.

If I was off to Gatwick with no hold baggage I'd be confident with stepping off the train 1 hour before the flight departure - I'm familiar with the security and airside layouts, and as a fast walker I know I can get to the furthest lot of gates (where EasyJet flights inevitably tend to get allocated) before the gate closes. In practice I'd probably aim to get to the station 90 minutes before time to allow time for delays/a pint in the airside Spoons.

What I have noticed is that the 'gate closes' time on the boarding pass is more usually the 'gate might open' time :)

Yesterday we were at a tiny Greek regional airport and as luck had it we were in the departure lounge 60 seconds after walking into the terminal, but arrived in plenty of time as we were unfamiliar with the setup.

sheff1

Established Member
If you're on time at the check in desk then you'll struggle to be late at the gate

Judging by the number of people to whom a 'last and final call' announcement is directed every time I am at an airport, it would appear to be quite easy.

True. Can there be a topside suggestion?

Why not use the FTPE one - the only official one identifed so far ?

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
I suppose a top end recommendation is you should plan to arrive at such a time that your travel insurance company will cover you if you get delayed enough that you miss your flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.