• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice to go from army to operative roll in rail industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verve

Good evening folks,

I’ve currently been out the army since January and I’m looking for advice on how to get into the rail industry in a operative roll in any of the disciplines ie track, off track, OHL etc etc.
I am aware that Network rail recruit in these areas but I feel from a few rejection emails I have had I believe that I would need some experience of working on the railway as I have no experience of working on there to work within that company.
Can anybody recommend any other companies or agency’s in the north west that will take on a ex military with no experience on the railways but I do hold a CSCS card if that’s any good.
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ST

Agree with above and also Trainee Conductor. Some companies may even have a specific approach to recruiting ex- Forces. Worth googling the Train Operating/Freight Operating companies in your locality and checking them out to widen the search area!

Good luck.

Verve

Cheers for the advice gents I see myself as being out in all weather grafting if you know what I mean.
Anybody else know of any agencies or company’s in the north west that they know of to help me start a career on the rails as a operative in any of the disciplines?
Thanks

jaybarts

Have you got Linkedin? There is a woman on there who specifically deals with Network Rail recruitment for ex forces.

Also Linkedin is a great place to connect with current rail employees, and helps to build a picture of what opportunities are out there. You can search specifically for ex forces + current rail workers which is handy.

I haven’t looked for a while but are there any courses you can do with your ELC if you qualify?

Look on all the rail company websites at the careers sections daily. That includes; Train Operating companies - Freight/Passenger
Rail Contractors - Theres loads to google.

Stigy

Established Member
Have you got Linkedin? There is a woman on there who specifically deals with Network Rail recruitment for ex forces.

Also Linkedin is a great place to connect with current rail employees, and helps to build a picture of what opportunities are out there. You can search specifically for ex forces + current rail workers which is handy.

I haven’t looked for a while but are there any courses you can do with your ELC if you qualify?

Look on all the rail company websites at the careers sections daily. That includes; Train Operating companies - Freight/Passenger
I agree with this approach, too. There’s a guy who I’m ‘connected with’ who is ex-army and he’s done really well for himself in the engineering side of the business (rolling stock). It’s good just to see someone’s journey and for employers to see how people are in terms of work ethic etc.

satters

We have had some excellent ex forces chaps come to the railway, don’t limit yourself to just operative

Kevlar

I'm ex-armed forces and recently started as a trainee driver, with no rail experience, as long as you have the aptitude it is just a matter of persistence as you will eventually land a role if you keep applying. I was rejected quite a few time before I made it through my first sift and ended up with more than one offer for trainee driver role.

Military covers a lot of the competencies required in the rail industry and I used almost all military examples for my mmi and dmi.

Verve

I’m currently not on there but I will be getting myself on there tomorrow. You don’t have the name of the woman on linkedin by any chance do you ?

Verve

I'm ex-armed forces and recently started as a trainee driver, with no rail experience, as long as you have the aptitude it is just a matter of persistence as you will eventually land a role if you keep applying. I was rejected quite a few time before I made it through my first sift and ended up with more than one offer for trainee driver role.

Military covers a lot of the competencies required in the rail industry and I used almost all military examples for my mmi and dmi.
Congratulations buddy and cheers for the reply.

MA8141

I know you’re looking North West but Break Point, business run by one of the guys off SAS programme on the tv, have teamed up with a rail firm to take on ex forces guys and girls in the South of England, hopefully they will fly further afield if it’s successful. Check it out.
I’m ex army and currently in a trainee drivers position with a freight company, best decision I’ve made !

FGW_DID

Established Member
I’m ex-forces, went straight into the railway, started off on the platforms for 18 months then moved on.
I took a drop from top level Fullscrew wages which wasn’t fun, especially now paying civvy rent etc but after the 18 months I changed jobs and found myself earning roughly the same as an experienced WOII. That was about 7 years ago.

Verve

I’m ex-forces, went straight into the railway, started off on the platforms for 18 months then moved on.
I took a drop from top level Fullscrew wages which wasn’t fun, especially now paying civvy rent etc but after the 18 months I changed jobs and found myself earning roughly the same as an experienced WOII. That was about 7 years ago.
Fair play buddy like it when ex squaddies are smashing it in civvie street. Signed up to a few agencies so we shall see if they will sponsor my PTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.