• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice travelling from Edinburgh to liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
Not at all, I'm sure the OP would be happy for the local insight. As an aside if they stayed at the Shankly Hotel then they would have to pass through or by the entirety of your least favourite part of town if they went almost anywhere else (to eat or drink) at night time...

My own opinion is that parts of Cavern Walks are OK, and depending on how gregarious the OP and his wife are they might enjoy a lively drink in a couple of the places where people of all ages can be found.

You don't have to pass through Mathew Street to get to almost anywhere else in Liverpool from the Shankly Hotel. Blimey I sound like I am plugging the place now. Ha ha. Never stayed there, heard it is meant to be nice. The Hard Days Night is definitely nice. The Mathew Street area is carnage on a Saturday night, maybe they will like that maybe not. The White Star is a nice pub, so is the Grapes even though it smells like an open sewer. The Cavern Pub and The Cavern are going to be fine and worth a visit for a Beatles fan but mad busy with stags and hens on a Saturday night. Flanagans is O.K. Everywhere else around there is rough as a badgers arse. Inflatable cocks and people with learner plates on. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotTrains

Whenever I travel south from Scotland I always try to get a Virgin + connections First class ticket. This gives you access to the First class lounges (Glasgow and Edinburgh) even with an advance ticket. if you're lucky you sometimes get given wine in the lounge in the evenings, I've been offered it in Glasgow before. Also check the Virgin timetable as some trains have just hot snacks (shown by a red symbol) and some have an evening meal (shown by a blue symbol) with plenty of soft drinks and alcohol. Personally I would avoid TPEx as you will only get a snack box and one, maybe two non alcoholic drinks if you're lucky, plus their trains are small suburban type with no wifi. Prices tend to be roughly the same anyway. Also if you don't mind a little walk I would look at going via Warrington. This means you can stay on the Virgin train slightly longer and possibly travel First class on TPEx to reach Liverpool, thus avoiding busy standard class Northern services. If traveling at the weekend then there is little difference between operator and class.

fowler9

Established Member
Whenever I travel south from Scotland I always try to get a Virgin + connections First class ticket. This gives you access to the First class lounges (Glasgow and Edinburgh) even with an advance ticket. if you're lucky you sometimes get given wine in the lounge in the evenings, I've been offered it in Glasgow before. Also check the Virgin timetable as some trains have just hot snacks (shown by a red symbol) and some have an evening meal (shown by a blue symbol) with plenty of soft drinks and alcohol. Personally I would avoid TPEx as you will only get a snack box and one, maybe two non alcoholic drinks if you're lucky, plus their trains are small suburban type with no wifi. Prices tend to be roughly the same anyway. Also if you don't mind a little walk I would look at going via Warrington. This means you can stay on the Virgin train slightly longer and possibly travel First class on TPEx to reach Liverpool, thus avoiding busy standard class Northern services. If traveling at the weekend then there is little difference between operator and class.

Walking across Warrington so if you timed it right you might get first class on an FTPE service seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face to be honest. I'll eat my trainers if it doesn't take a good bit longer and my trainers are vile. :D Probs end up on a Northern 142 from Warrington Central.

Just had a look and you would be extending your journey by about 50 mins just knocking around Warrington to get another train to Lime Street.

Last edited:

ScotTrains

Walking across Warrington so if you timed it right you might get first class on an FTPE service seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face to be honest. I'll eat my trainers if it doesn't take a good bit longer and my trainers are vile. :D Probs end up on a Northern 142 from Warrington Central.

Just had a look and you would be extending your journey by about 50 mins just knocking around Warrington to get another train to Lime Street.

I do agree with you, it does take longer to go via Warrington and involves a walk. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I often think the longer the journey the better, especially if it is in First class. Sad I know, but I do enjoy train travel. I travelled last week to Manchester from Glasgow via Warrington, all sections First class and via the GSW line too, a bonus in my opinion! If you like travelling by train and not worried about time then it could be an option. Otherwise you are probably best to change at Wigan for a more direct train. Another thing to think about is that some Virgin trains stop serving hot meals north of Preston, therefore if joining it at Warrington you'll be more likely to receive hot food before they start clearing up for the crew change at Preston.

R4_GRN

Update!
A bit later than I intended due to a bereavement in the family but we made it this week. In the end we decided to drive down for two reasons 1 we are continuing to Portsmouth and Weymouth to see relatives so more flexible with car. 2 Sold boring Honda Civic with its six speed gearbox which needed changing all the time bought a 2002 Mercedes CL500, 5litre auto with cruise, air con radio cd phone cassette for Beatles tapes! Double glazed windows a dream to drive shame about its drinking habit although getting 30mpg. But I only drive about 3000 miles a year so unimportant.

Stayed at Days Inn cause it was cheap, rooms clean, staff very good, breakfast ok but not great, best deal with parking voucher on booking.com, fine for a short stay. When we return we will use one of the better hotels for a longer stay.
Dined at Mr Ho Chinese restaurant, excellent many Chinese dining so it must be good.

Enjoyed the Beatles tour on the bus, guide was very good, good to see all the places which are in the Beatles songs, really enjoyed the trip, we will return did not have enough time to look at everything we wanted.

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated,

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Update!
A bit later than I intended due to a bereavement in the family but we made it this week. In the end we decided to drive down for two reasons 1 we are continuing to Portsmouth and Weymouth to see relatives so more flexible with car. 2 Sold boring Honda Civic with its six speed gearbox which needed changing all the time bought a 2002 Mercedes CL500, 5litre auto with cruise, air con radio cd phone cassette for Beatles tapes! Double glazed windows a dream to drive shame about its drinking habit although getting 30mpg. But I only drive about 3000 miles a year so unimportant.

Stayed at Days Inn cause it was cheap, rooms clean, staff very good, breakfast ok but not great, best deal with parking voucher on booking.com, fine for a short stay. When we return we will use one of the better hotels for a longer stay.
Dined at Mr Ho Chinese restaurant, excellent many Chinese dining so it must be good.

Enjoyed the Beatles tour on the bus, guide was very good, good to see all the places which are in the Beatles songs, really enjoyed the trip, we will return did not have enough time to look at everything we wanted.

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Several of the Beatles sights are by mine. McCartneys house is five minutes from mine, Strawberry Fields and John Lennons house about a 15 minute walk. Penny Lane was 5 mins from my school. On lunch and on the way home from school you would get loads of tourists asking you to take their photo by the Penny Lane sign, ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.