• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice travelling from Edinburgh to liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

R4_GRN

I would like to do the Beatles tour and spend time in Liverpool visiting museums etc.
Alternatives seem to be virgin or transpennine, any advice, I would maybe pay extra for first class if booked in advance seems a good deal. Food value for money? Coach comfort?
Help!
Intend travelling late March, we both have senior railcards, travel out Thursday return Monday
Travel from Dundee to Edinburgh not relevant can drive to park and ride, free parking etc and have bus geriatric pass from park to Edinburgh so the trip from Edinburgh to Liverpool in comfort is the important part

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Coaches currently replace trains between Edinburgh and Carlisle, due to weather damaging the line, so no first class there.

But if you hold off a few weeks (late March might be alright) until the line reopens (there is no definite date yet) you can travel the whole journey by rail. First class Advance fares start at £27 (railcard) one way with Virgin and are excellent value for the four hour journey. Weekdays you'll get some decent scran, weekends you'll get some light snacks. First class on TPE isn't really worth it as all you get is snacks and a fancy chair. If anything, I'd recommend getting Standard out and First back.

For comparison, Standard class fares start at £8 (railcard) for Virgin journeys.

Nice to see you're making an overnight stay - the journeys to and from Liverpool will eat up a lot of your day and the city really comes to life in the evening.

Make sure to visit the Wetherspoons inside Lime Street station as well ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is a definite time for reopening- this Monday coming.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And First on the 350/4s is nice. I go First for comfort, not freebies.

BlueFox

There is a definite time for reopening- this Monday coming.

I'm surprised they've got it finished early, I thought I read somewhere on here that it was likely to take longer than planned.

I have a Megatrain ticket for the 7:51 from Carlisle to Glasgow on Monday, but was expecting to get the diverted service at 7:59 instead. I'd probably have missed it if you hadn't mentioned it. So thanks!

And First on the 350/4s is nice. I go First for comfort, not freebies.

First on TPE is comfortable - but I don't think it's any better than Virgin, so for a three hour journey like this I'd choose Virgin for the food and drink.

This is the snack box can expect to get on Transpennine Express:

Attachments

• IMG_20160127_101917.jpg
    IMG_20160127_101917.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 80

fowler9

Established Member
I would like to do the Beatles tour and spend time in Liverpool visiting museums etc.
Alternatives seem to be virgin or transpennine, any advice, I would maybe pay extra for first class if booked in advance seems a good deal. Food value for money? Coach comfort?
Help!
Intend travelling late March, we both have senior railcards, travel out Thursday return Monday
Travel from Dundee to Edinburgh not relevant can drive to park and ride, free parking etc and have bus geriatric pass from park to Edinburgh so the trip from Edinburgh to Liverpool in comfort is the important part

If it was me and I could get a good deal in first on either I would go with it. First on Virgin is a bit nicer. Personally I wouldn't go standard on Trans Pennine as they seem to be much more crowded in general (Personal opinion). The journey from Preston or Wigan to Liverpool will be a little less comfortable depending on the time of day.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Liverpool. I live just down the road from a lot of the out of town sites such as Strawberry Fields, the houses Lennon and McCartney grew up in, Penny Lane, Quarry Bank School etc. It is a nice area and I think you will enjoy it.

The Spoonies in Lime Street is nice but there are better pubs IMHO in the area, depends what you are in to I guess. Ha ha. Really easy to find your way around Liverpool, it is quite compact. Where are you staying?

R4_GRN

Thanks for advice, I think it will be virgin trains for us, hotel not booked yet still investigating, any recommendations? Want to be near station and main attractions unlikely to eat in hotel prefer to eat in local restaurants usually better value.

Is the Beatles tour worth it or better to do it yourself?

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks for advice, I think it will be virgin trains for us, hotel not booked yet still investigating, any recommendations? Want to be near station and main attractions unlikely to eat in hotel prefer to eat in local restaurants usually better value.

Is the Beatles tour worth it or better to do it yourself?

Hotels, I haven't stayed in many since I live here. The Adelphi despite being an almost iconic building in the city gets terrible reviews. I have been in the Atlantic Tower in the centre and it was quite nice, also the Crowne Plaza in the old airport building is very nice and not far from the south Liverpool Beatles sights, out of the city centre though. The Hard Days Night hotel is very nice, very central and not cheap. Depends on your budget. If you find one that suits your budget I can let you know how central it is for what you want.

Regarding the Beatles tours, you can get a tour in a Black Cab, I can get you more details from mates who are Black Cab drivers (It wouldn't be my mates doing the tours, it would be people trained to). The ones on the buses are fine though. You can do it yourself using the 86 bus and a bit of walking but you would get no commentary or general information. Plenty of Scousers on here willing to help.

Lots of the other museums in the city are easily walkable to and I am happy to give advice.

Last edited:

R4_GRN

Thanks Fowler 9, I will get back to you when I have done more research, want to see Turbinia at the museum, they just don't make things like they used to, in some ways that is good in other ways bad!

M28361M

Hotels, I haven't stayed in many since I live here. The Adelphi despite being an almost iconic building in the city gets terrible reviews.

Yes, definitely avoid the Adelphi!

I stayed in the Liner Hotel on Lord Nelson Street a few years ago for a wedding, and found it quite comfortable. Very near to Lime Street station; in fact some of the rooms overlook the platforms. www.theliner.co.uk

Camden

Established Member
Help!
If you're going from Edinburgh it could be well worth you checking out FlyBe flights from Edinburgh Airport. If they work for you then you'll be in Liverpool in under an hour. For Thu 10/3 and Mon 14/3 that's currently coming up at just under £100 return for both of you. Taxi from the Airport to the city centre probably about £15.

If you do have to go by train though, I would book FC as the train can get pretty crowded and at least you'll have a comfortable relatively quiet journey. TPE will give you snacks, rather than "food". Have never used Virgin on this route.

Last edited:

Camden

Established Member
You *might* be there in an hour. They aren't called Flymaybe by some for a laugh...

I haven't heard any complaints about lack of punctuality on this route. If you have data to share with regards to this route then I think you should do so, or withdraw the comment.

As far as I am concerned, flying from Edinburgh certainly looks a viable option.

trainophile

Established Member
I'm surprised they've got it finished early, I thought I read somewhere on here that it was likely to take longer than planned.

I have a Megatrain ticket for the 7:51 from Carlisle to Glasgow on Monday, but was expecting to get the diverted service at 7:59 instead. I'd probably have missed it if you hadn't mentioned it. So thanks!

First on TPE is comfortable - but I don't think it's any better than Virgin, so for a three hour journey like this I'd choose Virgin for the food and drink.

This is the snack box can expect to get on Transpennine Express:

I've only ever been offered a biscuit or flapjack from a basket in TPE 1st. That snack box looks more like a VTWC weekend offering.

R4_GRN

Appreciate advice re flying but- leave house at 09:00 for flight at 12:00, free parking at park and ride and geriatric bus pass from p and ride to station, get ripped off for food, wait about till flight due. Get to airport then have to get transport from airport to hotel.
If you have time to spare go by air! And I until recently flew aeroplanes for a hobby
Alternative by train is much more relaxing and door to door there might not be much in it. Train Dundee to Edinburgh then to Liverpool in comfort, food and drinks brought to table so we will go for train journey

Camden

Established Member
Fair enough. FYI don't know if you're aware but the long distance trains will only take you as far as Preston/Wigan, from there on you're on a commuter train into the city for another 40 or 50 minutes. The commuter trains themselves aren't so bad, but you might want to time that leg so not around rush hour each way, especially coming back.

Last edited:

Established Member
I make this journey quite a bit with work so here's my advice based on experience:

1. Go First Class if you can, especially on TPE, TPE Standard isn't great unless you're a midget. I wouldn't base my choice of operator on the free refreshments available, comfort and ambience is more important to me.

2. If you're going to use Virgin try and make sure that you're on an electric Pendolino and not a diesel Voyager. I'd sooner travel on an electric TPE 350 than a ghastly Voyager.

3. Make sure your ticket routes you via Wigan and not Warrington, or you've a mile or so walk or taxi between Bank Quay and Central.

4. Try online for a through ticket from Dundee, you might be lucky and pleasantly surprised by the price if there's availability.

5. Consider routeing via Glasgow, there's more capacity and you might get a really good First Class price on a Pendolino or on TPE.

6. The final leg between Wigan and Liverpool will be with Northern. No First Class and quite spartan.

7. Hotels - the Premier Inn in Hanover Street is only a couple of years old, very central and good value, usually no more than £60-70 a night. Or if you like train noise (!) get a room in The Liner overlooking Lime Street station, similar price.

R4_GRN

Thanks for advice Camden, yes realise that I need local train to get into Liverpool. Really more concerned with comfort and experience rather than quickest or cheapest.

BlueFox

That snack box looks more like a VTWC weekend offering.

It's similar to the Virgin box. I got it on a weekday on TPE service from Carlisle a couple of weeks ago.

The lid has TPE branding - as seen on the photo below.

Attachments

• IMG_20160127_101523.jpg
    IMG_20160127_101523.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 33

trainophile

Established Member
It's similar to the Virgin box. I got it on a weekday on TPE service from Carlisle a couple of weeks ago.

The lid has TPE branding - as seen on the photo below.

Oh sorry, my mistake :oops: . So if they can offer that in 1st on some routes, why not on others I wonder. I travelled from Man Picc to Cleethorpes on Monday, back on Wednesday, and all I got each time was one cup of tea and a biscuit.

Not fair! :p .

tony_mac

Established Member
It's a bit of a long one, but I hope something is useful...

If you can, get a Virgin pendolino. Apart from catering, they have far more space in 1st than any other option. (On TPE, it's half a carriage, with people constantly walking through to use the toilet).
You will probably find that you are booked in coach H, which may be mostly full. In my experience staff are quite happy for you to go and find more space in another coach, and have even suggested it themselves.

If changing at Wigan, it may be more comfortable to take the stopper. The 'fast' train will probably be a 2-car (diesel) train, which comes from Blackpool and will be mostly full. The stopper starts at Wigan, and should be a 4-car (electric) train, so will likely have more space.

As for hotels...
I am rather fond of the Adelphi, but you have to know what to expect. It is a formerly grand hotel that has not been looked after properly for many years, and is mostly a budget or coach-party hotel these days.
Some of the rooms are cramped, dated, stuffy, windowless, and noisy.
However, some of the rooms offer a great piece of history for a good price. On my last stay I had a magnificent, huge, 4-poster suite, with enormous high ceilings, a wood-panelled hallway and walk-in wardrobe, next door to Harold Wilson's old room. All for £35 a night. (I booked a standard room, and offered to pay for an upgrade at check-in. The man on the desk upgraded me but declined payment).

A good option is Accor's 'Happy Mondays' rate. Every week, from midnight Sunday to Tuesday you can book rooms for the following weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun). If there is no football game on, you can often get the Novotel for £40, or the Ibis / Ibis styles for £25. (Liverpool games have more of an effect on hotel room prices, but they have no home games at the end of March).
I would, however, have a flexible booking as backup if you are going to try this, the city can fill up and end up being rather expensive.

There are a number of Travelodge / Premier Inns in very good locations. But be aware that Liverpool is something of a 'party' destination and they may be noisy at weekends.
Beware of hotels that specifically cater to large groups unless you like all-night noise!

The Crowne Plaza at the airport is quite nice, and interesting (art-deco former airport terminal). But it's a 30ish minute bus ride to the city, and not a place you would want to wander round at night.

I quite like the Hilton, it's very modern, and a great location for the shops and Albert Dock. The executive lounge is also a nice spot to sit and watch the city.
The Crowne Plaza in the city is a nice quiet spot, near the city, but it's a little isolated at night & weekends.
There are some hotels around the Convention centre - Staybridge Suites, Jury's and the new Pullman). Again, it's a nice spot, pretty close to the action, but slightly isolated at night.

The Liner is ok and in a good location; rooms are small, and service can be a little spotty. The squeal of rail noise can be a problem if you are on the station side (trains start at around 5:20am)

If you give some more idea of budget, or what sort of thing you are looking for, there may be some other suggestions. (Maybe the trip planning forum is more appropriate for more detailed discussions).

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks Fowler 9, I will get back to you when I have done more research, want to see Turbinia at the museum, they just don't make things like they used to, in some ways that is good in other ways bad!

Any time mate. Always more than happy to help in any way I can. As someone has already said being routed via Warrington would be a pain but I doubt it would generally happen. Probably looking at a 319 from Preston or Wigan as I am sure you know. These are pretty busy during the peak. People mentioned The Liner which you can basically fall in to when leaving Lime Street, also there are the Marriot and Holiday Inn within stumbling distance of Lime Street. Both seem quite pleasant when I have been in. I would suggest booking hotels promptly, probably stating the obvious but if Liverpool or Everton are playing at home (And of course one normally is) the hotels fill up pretty fast. Also for other events.

Last edited:

Camden

Established Member
If changing at Wigan, it may be more comfortable to take the stopper. The 'fast' train will probably be a 2-car (diesel) train, which comes from Blackpool and will be mostly full. The stopper starts at Wigan, and should be a 4-car (electric) train, so will likely have more space.
There are only a couple of Blackpool trains per day, with the vast majority of trains starting instead at Preston in order to use the electric stock. This will continue until Blackpool is wired and the through service reconnected.

Being that he is visiting for the Beatles and the museums, then the hotels around the docks would seem to fit the bill better. Premier Inn, Hampton, Hilton, Jury's Inn, Pullman...

Or, if in town, no one so far has mentioned the Hard Days' Night, right on the corner of Cavern Walks.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
There are only a couple of Blackpool trains per day, with the vast majority of trains starting instead at Preston in order to use the electric stock. This will continue until Blackpool is wired and the through service reconnected.

Being that he is visiting for the Beatles and the museums, then the hotels around the docks would seem to fit the bill better. Premier Inn, Hampton, Hilton, Jury's Inn, Pullman...

Or, if in town, no one so far has mentioned the Hard Days' Night, right on the corner of Cavern Walks.

Good point, there are a couple of Beatles Museums down by the docks, I admit I was thinking more of the OP saying they wanted to be near the station. The Hard Days Night is a really nice hotel and very central, quite pricey but if the OP has the money then why not, went to my mates sisters wedding there, saw the room my mate was staying in and it was amazing. The Shankly Hotel also looks very nice and is close to Lime Street, I get the impression that is also not for those on a tighter budget.

Oh yeah, the service to Lime Street from Preston is indeed a 319 for most of the working day.

Last edited:

Camden

Established Member
If they have a Liverpool Stations ticket then they could get from Lime Street to James Street on it, but it's not really that far to anywhere in the city centre in the back of a black cab. Not sure I'd suggest the Shankly Hotel, especially as it's a stay spanning over a weekend.

fowler9

Established Member
If they have a Liverpool Stations ticket then they could get from Lime Street to James Street on it, but it's not really that far to anywhere in the city centre in the back of a black cab. Not sure I'd suggest the Shankly Hotel, especially as it's a stay spanning over a weekend.

Same applies to the Hard Days Night to be fair. Not going to be cheap and not going to be quiet. :D

Camden

Established Member
I've no idea on that front. There are some hotels which are very obviously aimed at football/stag parties, doesn't seem immediately obvious to me that this one would be.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
I've no idea on that front. There are some hotels which are very obviously aimed at football/stag parties, doesn't seem immediately obvious to me that this one would be.

The Shankly hotel is obviously football related. It is by the look of it a high end hotel in the city, may well attract more guests on a match day but I don't think it will make much difference, I think you may have it wrong if you think it is aimed at a few footy fans out on the lash, it really isn't. Now Hard Days Night is a Beatles themed hotel in Liverpool, it is not cheap and attracts Beatles fans all year round, not just match days. Hard Days Night is also right around he corner from Stag and Hen Central. It gets quite rowdy around there.

Last edited:

Camden

Established Member
The Shankley hotel is obviously football related. It is by the look of it a high end hotel in the city, may well attract more guests on a match day but I don't think it will make much difference, I think you may have it wrong if you think it is aimed at a few footy fans out on the lash, it really isn't. Now Hard Days Night is a Beatles themed hotel in Liverpool, it is not cheap and attracts Beatles fans all year round, not just match days. Hard Days Night is also right around he corner from Stag and Hen Central. It gets quite rowdy around there.
I meant the HDN was not obviously football/stag oriented. One of those descriptions sounds likely to me to involve groups of loud young men (I note the hotel booking system of the one you mention runs to 20 guests, and prices are "per couple" rather than per room, and some rooms sleep up to 8 people!), and one of those doesn't. I do know Liverpool rather well, and although the area around Hard Days Night hotel is loud at night times, I have no idea as to whether or not that impacts on noise inside the hotel. If it was me I'd look into the Hard Days Night, but I wouldn't consider the other one.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
I meant the HDN was not obviously football/stag oriented. One of those descriptions sounds likely to me to involve groups of loud young men (I note the hotel booking system of the one you mention runs to 20 guests, and prices are "per couple" rather than per room, and some rooms sleep up to 8 people!), and one of those doesn't. I do know Liverpool rather well, and although the area around Hard Days Night hotel is loud at night times, I have no idea as to whether or not that impacts on noise inside the hotel. If it was me I'd look into the Hard Days Night, but I wouldn't consider the other one.

That is fair enough but I seriously don't think the ICF are going to be staying at the Shankly Hotel. I get your point though. The Hard Days Night is a lovely hotel and the noise around the corner does not encroach inside. It is around the corner from my least favourite part of town though. Anyway, we are digressing. :D

Camden

Established Member
Not at all, I'm sure the OP would be happy for the local insight. As an aside if they stayed at the Shankly Hotel then they would have to pass through or by the entirety of your least favourite part of town if they went almost anywhere else (to eat or drink) at night time...

My own opinion is that parts of Cavern Walks are OK, and depending on how gregarious the OP and his wife are they might enjoy a lively drink in a couple of the places where people of all ages can be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.