• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

After 1 and a bit years of applying I'm in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GingerRH

Medical passed and contract sent out! Start date of 9th November :D

Albeit this job I wasn't expecting at all as applied six months ago and didn't hear anything for nearly 3 months (sort of assumed it was a no!)and then suddenly got a call for an interview and within a month of that I was offered the position and passed the medical and have been given a start date!

Looks like my journey down a long road of changing from fine dining chef to the railway, even though it's only an RO2 Platform staff job, has ended. But in turn started on an even longer much tougher road ahead!

Although now comes the awkward part of handing in my notice to my current and very ****ed off employer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bossa

Congrats fella, you must feel a sense of relief. Journeys like yours add inspiration for what seems like multitudes of us trying to join the industry. Hard work starts now but at least you are in. Check ml posts for a similar if not longer struggle to join a TOC. Good stuff

GingerRH

Congrats fella, you must feel a sense of relief. Journeys like yours add inspiration for what seems like multitudes of us trying to join the industry. Hard work starts now but at least you are in. Check ml posts for a similar if not longer struggle to join a TOC. Good stuff

It's a huge relief and a feels like now I've got my foot in the door there's endless opportunities in the future :)

Northernboy67

Congratulations GingerRH. I have been applying for different Railway jobs for 32 years. I finally start training on 2nd November. It's been worth it. 22 years in the Security industry then 5 years Concierge. I have finally got there. Onwards and upwards.

red2005

Medical passed and contract sent out! Start date of 9th November :D

Albeit this job I wasn't expecting at all as applied six months ago and didn't hear anything for nearly 3 months (sort of assumed it was a no!)and then suddenly got a call for an interview and within a month of that I was offered the position and passed the medical and have been given a start date!

Looks like my journey down a long road of changing from fine dining chef to the railway, even though it's only an RO2 Platform staff job, has ended. But in turn started on an even longer much tougher road ahead!

Although now comes the awkward part of handing in my notice to my current and very ****ed off employer.

"Even though it's only an RO2 platform staff job"?

you should give yourself and the grade a bit more credit mate!.......do you realise that jobs on the railway that SOME consider to be low grades (cleaners etc) still have multiple applicants? and rightly so, they play a really important role in the big cog and are still generally looked after well.

platform staff jobs in particular can be very popular so you certainly shouldn't do yourself or the grade any disservice by using terms like "ONLY".....trust me you have done well.

GingerRH

"Even though it's only an RO2 platform staff job"?

you should give yourself and the grade a bit more credit mate!.......do you realise that jobs on the railway that SOME consider to be low grades (cleaners etc) still have multiple applicants? and rightly so, they play a really important role in the big cog and are still generally looked after well.

platform staff jobs in particular can be very popular so you certainly shouldn't do yourself or the grade any disservice by using terms like "ONLY".....trust me you have done well.

I meant in the way that most people on here post when they get driver or guard positions, I am very happy with my new position and have worked hard for it I believe.

Didn't meant it in any offensive way!

red2005

I meant in the way that most people on here post when they get driver or guard positions, I am very happy with my new position and have worked hard for it I believe.

Didn't meant it in any offensive way!

oh i know you didn't mate.....i was saying that getting ANY position on the railway these days is an achievement given the process you go through and the numbers that apply :)

a platform job is just as important as that of driver or guard so well done buddy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.