Afternoon London off-peak restrictions

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by TonyR, 27 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyR

TonyR Member

I was just checking what the time was of the last train you could take out of KGX in the afternoon before the off-peak restriction came into force and it doesn't seem to be there anymore. I phoned up National Rail enquiries and they confirmed there was no off-peak restriction except before 09:30. Is this a recent change and does it apply now to all trains leaving London during the 16:15 to 19:00 peak?

2. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

Without knowing the specific journey and whether it's the outward or return leg of a ticket, it's hard to say.

3. dzug2

dzug2 Member

Making the not unreasonable assumption that the destination/origin in question is Cambridge then yes there are still afternoon restrictions - which as CyrusWuff implies vary with whether it's an outward or return trip and a day or period return

Last edited: 27 Apr 2015
  4. TonyR

TonyR Member

the afternoon restrictions ran from 16:30 to 19:01 but looking at day return fares for KGX to CBG on the Great Northern Thameslink site they show the same £24 off-peak return fare before and after 16:30

Attached Files:

5. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That's because there are no afternoon restrictions on a Kings Cross to Cambridge Day single (CDS) or return (CDR) ticket

But.. is that the ticket you hold?

Or do you hold a Cambridge to Kings Cross return ticket?

6. TonyR

TonyR Member

Its not held yet and I'll get it as a walk up fare but just trying to figure out what if any off-peak restrictions there are in the afternoon peak so I don't find myself caught out having to pay an Anytime fare.

The Thameslink website doesn't distinguish which is the starting station for off-peak restrictions. It simply says:

http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/off-peak/

But you are right. If I start from CBG instead of KGX, it does restrict which trains you can leave London on on an off-peak ticket. Never realised there was that asymmetry before.

7. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Your journey is Cambridge to London?

The aforementioned CDR is £24.00 and is valid on the 0921 from Cambridge, arriving 1013 and any train arriving into London after that. On the return portion you are not allowed to leave Kings Cross after 1628 until 1901. If you travelled at a barred time you'd be liable to an excess up to the Anytime Day Return (SDR), ie a charge of £15.50.

The Off Peak Return (SVR) is £35.50 and is not valid until the 0950 fast (or 0855 stopper!) from Cambridge, and on the return portion you are not allowed to leave Kings Cross between 1730-1830 inclusive and is valid for return within one calendar month.

Rail fares are simple, and all companies use the same T&Cs, the names e.g. Off Peak describe when you can use your ticket, meaning you can buy with confidence and know exactly where you stand. At least that's if you believe the Train Companies ;) (source)

Joking aside, it best not be made simpler, because if it did, they would take the least generous restriction and apply that to ALL off peak fares in either direction! (and no, we couldn't stop them, because the Government does not regulate these fares <()

8. RJ

RJ Established Member

I suspect less people daytrip from London to Cambridge than the reverse direction. I suspect very few people leave London to daytrip to Cambridge during the evening peak, so there isn't much point in slapping an evening peak restriction on it.

Tickets are as complicated as you make them. If you start asking a million and one questions and comparing numerous tickets, you're bound to get lost somewhere!

There's no benefit in buying a King's Cross to Cambridge CDR for a Cambridge to London return journey - the Anytime Day Single is cheaper and the outward portion can't be used after the return portion.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.