• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Age of rolling stock in Tuscany

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Does anyone know the age of the trains currently used in the Tuscany area?

I recently made two return journeys there.

Pisa-Florence.
It was the same type of train on both the outbound and return journeys with electric locos and quite a few carriages per set and loads of unoccupied seats. Second class had comfy 2+2 seating (leather or plastic imitation leather - I think it was the latter) but a very old feel, it had opening windows with notices on them saying do not open as the train is now air conditioned.

Pisa-Lucca.

Two very different types of train.

Outbound was a modern looking multiple unit. Internally there were sliding doors and a LCD/plasma screen in each compartment showing a map of the route and the current position of the train.

Return was similar internally to the Florence train(s) but without air conditioning and with cloth seat covering. Externally it was actually three single carriage units joined up using corridor connections.

Both journeys had some empty seats but a lot less than on the Florence services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
FS EMUs are mostly the motor coach + trailers arrangement like used in Switzerland, according to my impeccable source they come in various batches between 1976 and 91. I don't know how old the push-pull hauled stock would be, but I'd imagine around the same time. The newest EMUs appear to Alstom Minuettos introduced in 2004, of which there are diesel and electric varieties.

pemma

Veteran Member
Thanks. I thought when on the Pisa-Florence train that the stock was probably from the late 1970s. The stock I got on the return Lucca-Pisa journey was probably slightly newer despite the lack of air conditioning.

They are both much better to travel on then our own 142s and 150s despite the archaic interior.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
On my only journey from Pisa to Florence and backed, both trains were jam packed. People were standing in all the vestibules, including sailors on their way to Trieste in full uniform!

The trains seemed quite old. I would say that they were over 30 years old, just judging by the design!

pemma

Veteran Member
Both trains I caught were Pisa Airport to Florence services, which run Pisa Central to Florence SMN non-stop, so I'm not sure how the loadings on those compare with the stoppers and the services that continue beyond Pisa, other than to the Airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.