• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AIM - Sign Up Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi again,
(I post this message for the simple reason of not being allowed MSNM! ;) )

I know that allot of members of this forum are MSN-ers. Well, I though that you might all want to talk on AOL Instant Messenger as well.

AIM is free to download, and is also very easy to install and use. It is similar to Messenger, but you can only have two people talking at anyone time, making it virtually impossible to get viruses around the network. Choose your own avatar, background and username as well as having a huge 'Buddy' list.

Here is a list of members of RailUK (which I know) who use AIM, and I talk too regularly:

tubechallenger,
Electro-Pie,
Jordy,
kayedj,
Eezypeazy
...and I'm sure there are many more.

If you fancy signing up, then simply click this link: www.aol.co.uk/aim

If, and when you sign up, please contact me so we can exchange usernames etc.

I hope to see you all on there sometime! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

I only use AIM as I have to use it for RailUK official matters. :P

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I never bothered with it, its just to much bother to have more than one IM client running

jonb

Established Member
I find MSN is the best I tried Yahoo Messenger but did'nt like it so stuck to MSN. I also found most people have MSN.

Simming

MSN Messenger for me, its better, and more people use it, especially non-veg friends

Jordy

Established Member
I dont like it, I only use it so I can talk to RichardH, MSN is much better

Jordy

jd

If you're not allowed to download MSN, have you tried the web-based versions? There's Microsoft's official one, and theres loads more too. Just google for it - "web messenger" or something like that.

Met Driver

Established Member
jdan said:
If you're not allowed to download MSN, have you tried the web-based versions? There's Microsoft's official one, and theres loads more too. Just google for it - "web messenger" or something like that.

I generally use msn2go at school, as you can't run installers without admin privs.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've tried ICQ, AIM, Yahoo! and MSN.

Guess which I use the most? MSN. Reason? Everyone (apart from a select few) use it, it's also a lot better IMO.

Coxster

Established Member
Why can you download AIM but not MSN? It's much better as you have more features (games etc) and loads more people use it. Some of those people listed for AIM are on MSN too!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Coxster said:
Why can you download AIM but not MSN? It's much better as you have more features (games etc) and loads more people use it. Some of those people listed for AIM are on MSN too!

He told me it was because MSN messenger gives you viruses but AIM doesn't.

I can only assume that means AIM has no facility to transfer files, and that he is not capable of working out which file types are safe or not, or simply pressing 'Decline' every time a file is offered.

jd

AIM also gets a lot of spam - when my dad had AOL as his ISP, there were always spam messages popping up.

David

Established Member
You need a prodram called Shoot The Messenger. It's a tiny freeware program that kills those pesky messenger popups before they appear.

By the way, I've attached it to this post :P

Met Driver

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
why not turn them off in the options menu :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not sure that's possible. Would this be in MSN or Windows messenger?

David

Established Member
Seth said:
Gareth Hale said:
why not turn them off in the options menu :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not sure that's possible. Would this be in MSN or Windows messenger?
I'm 99.99% certain this isn't possible, hence the program i've uploaded.

The Snap

Established Member
In regards to Damon, AOL is , smy ISPo it's there anyway.
I am not sure you can except files, I've never done it anyway. ;)

jdjonnay

Harry Potter said:
You need a prodram called Shoot The Messenger. It's a tiny freeware program that kills those pesky messenger popups before they appear.

By the way, I've attached it to this post :P

Do you mean the netsend.bat commands? The ones that spammers use? If so, the message box subject is "messenger", which often leads to confusion making people think msn messenger is guilty.

If not, I'm not sure what the purpose of the program is, as you can turn off the pop up command on msn by deselecting "notify me every time a contact comes online".

Jon

David

Established Member
jdjonny said:
I'm not sure what the purpose of the program is, as you can turn off the pop up command on msn by deselecting "notify me every time a contact comes online".
The program kills all spam popups, IE notices saying "Your PC has got a virus and is affecting every other PC on the network. Please goto www.blah-blah-blah.com to rectify the situation".

Not the popups that notify you when friends come online.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
you don't need a program to do that, Control Panel>Administartive Tools>Services> then a window appears, search for messenger, right click it, then change the line reading startup to disabled, then stop the service. Simple as

T

Tom

Microsoft MSN Messenger is different to Windows Messaging service. The Messaging service does the messages, MSN is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.