• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ain't that pretty

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

I have just seen the wierdist thing. The traffic lights at our junction are flashing alternately for each direction!! E/W N/S. The odd thing was that ALL three lights were illuminatting at once so as one set went out the other came on. Like a set of christmas tree lights.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The traffic lights at the top of my road have been out for 2 days and traffic is flowing better than they were when the lights were turned on...

eezypeazy

I read somewhere that, following last year's flooding in Carlisle, most of the city's traffic lights were knocked out... and the traffic flowed better than it had done for years!

Coming back from London by train in February, I picked up my car at Newcastle Central, drove out of the car park onto Neville Street, and got stopped by the lights. There was no traffic. Moving along Neville Street, I got stopped at the pedestrian lights by the Centre For Life. There were no pedestrians. At the junction with Marlborough Crescent, I was stopped again. There were no conflicting traffic moves. Further on to the junction of Marlborough Crescent and Scotswood Road, where I was held at the lights, again for no reason. Finally, to the junction with Railway Street - another set of reds, with not a vehicle in sight! By now, I was ready to do a Victor Meldrew....

Let's all take a moment out of our day and say a little prayer for Divine Guidance for our needy traffic planners.....

eezypeazy

H

HR2

eezypeazy said:
I read somewhere that, following last year's flooding in Carlisle, most of the city's traffic lights were knocked out... and the traffic flowed better than it had done for years!

Coming back from London by train in February, I picked up my car at Newcastle Central, drove out of the car park onto Neville Street, and got stopped by the lights. There was no traffic. Moving along Neville Street, I got stopped at the pedestrian lights by the Centre For Life. There were no pedestrians. At the junction with Marlborough Crescent, I was stopped again. There were no conflicting traffic moves. Further on to the junction of Marlborough Crescent and Scotswood Road, where I was held at the lights, again for no reason. Finally, to the junction with Railway Street - another set of reds, with not a vehicle in sight! By now, I was ready to do a Victor Meldrew....

Let's all take a moment out of our day and say a little prayer for Divine Guidance for our needy traffic planners.....

eezypeazy

I can vouch for EP's annoyance as all those sets of lights are with 1/4 of a mile. It's bad enough on the bus and why buses for south of the Tyne have to go past the Centre for life and not straight on to the junction for the approach to Redheugh Bridge is beyond me!

Gareth Hale

Traffic lights are a major problem at times, sometimes I wish that the UK did a little USA rule.

At a traffic light and you want to turn right and its showing red, you can do

My thoughts is U.K.

At a trafflic light, and you want to turn left, and its showing red, you should be able to, just a shame that rule isnt implied as it cuts a lot of traffic conjestion down.

H

HR2

Gareth Hale said:
My thoughts is U.K.

At a trafflic light, and you want to turn left, and its showing red, you should be able to, just a shame that rule isnt implied as it cuts a lot of traffic conjestion down.

Oh no VERY bad idea. Given that some of the morons that drive on our roads today who already say 'I didn't see him' can you imagine the mayhem if they were given carte blanch to to turn left into traffic coming from the right?

This rule would have to apply to roundabouts as well and that will only add to the confusion. No,no leave things as is and let's not encourage rule-bending. Too many cyclists and Motorcycle riders are killed as it is.

Sprog

Established Member
HR2 said:
Oh no VERY bad idea. Given that some of the morons that drive on our roads today who already say 'I didn't see him' can you imagine the mayhem if they were given carte blanch to to turn left into traffic coming from the right?

This rule would have to apply to roundabouts as well and that will only add to the confusion. No,no leave things as is and let's not encourage rule-bending. Too many cyclists and Motorcycle riders are killed as it is.

As a motorcylcist, i second that, and 3rd it, and 4th it and 5th it etc.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
We get the same thing at the cross roads by the station in Hereford. When the lights are down, the traffic flows MUCH better! Bloody daft!

It winds me up something rotten when people insist on pressing the button at a pedestrian crossing, when traffic is light, and then go before the lights change anyway. Of course, on such occasions you're always coming up to the lights too and they change to red. Usually when you're in a hurry to go somewhere too.

As for adopting the rule from the US, I can't see how it would improve anything. Besides, as has been said, let's not encourage morons to drive even worse than they do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.