• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Air bridges with European countries given "green light"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlogax

Established Member
It's now being reported that the airbridge scheme as was previously positioned has been ditched. No surprise if accurate.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-travel-idUSKBN2430PO

LONDON (Reuters) - The British government will effectively ditch its air bridge plans and simply end the coronavirus quarantine rules for those arriving from 75 countries so that people can go on holiday, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The newspaper said the UK would shortly lift a ban on non-essential travel to nearly all EU destinations, the British territories including Bermuda and Gibraltar, and Turkey, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand.

A spokesman for the transport ministry declined immediate comment.

The likes of Simon Calder and Martin Lewis are reporting the same thing, though the common source is the Telegraph. Let's see what happens now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
The Telegraph are also reporting that one reason for the delay is that the Scottish government are dragging their feet in agreeing to the exemptions.

Grant Shapps has pointed the finger of blame at Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon for the delay in announcing the list of some 75 countries and holiday destinations to be exempted from the UK’s quarantine restrictions.
Speaking in the Commons, the Transport Secretary told the SNP’s Gavin Newlands: "I'd appreciate his help in ensuring that air bridges can get going as quickly as possible.
"I'm very keen to get the devolved administrations, including the Scottish Government, on board so we can get this thing announced."
It is understood Ms Sturgeon is opposed to the Government’s planned “air bridges” with the 75 countries because of concerns over the risk of importing coronavirus and the alleged failure of UK ministers to consult with Scotland.
But the SNP claimed Mr Shapps’ suggestion that they were responsible for the delay was “completely unfounded” and a “misrepresentation” of their position.

Last week it had been expected the Government would announce the list of countries on Monday but it was put back to the middle of this week - and has now been delayed until possibly Friday.
Ms Sturgeon warned earlier this week that she would not be "dragged along" to approve the UK Government's air bridges plan from Scottish airports after claiming she had not been consulted.
With Ryanair resuming flights from Scotland to Europe on Wednesday, she said she would make a decision shortly.
The UK Government has powers over border controls but health protection issues on overseas travel must be supported by Scottish government regulations because health is a devolved matter.
Asked about air bridges at her daily briefing on Wednesday, Ms Sturgeon said that if "I choose to do something different to a decision that perfectly legitimately Boris Johnson has decided to do in England, then there is a number of things you can assume to be the case.
"Firstly, I have very seriously looked at the evidence and decided that is necessary, not for political or constitutional reasons, but necessary from the point of view of tackling the virus."
She said that if she chooses not to allow air bridges then "I will set out why that is the case and I'll set out the practical problems, challenges and implications that flow from that and how we will try to deal with them. But I will do that in an orderly way."
The Telegraph revealed on Thursday morning that the list of countries where there would be so-called “travel corridors” had expanded from some 50 to around 75
The list will lift the Foreign Office ban on non-essential travel to nearly all EU destinations, the British territories including Bermuda and Gibraltar, and Turkey, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand.
All 75 have been judged sufficiently low risk destinations for holidaymakers based on the prevalence of Covid-19, that their infection rate is in decline and that their data on the state of the disease can be trusted.
The proposal is that from Monday travellers to the 75 countries will no longer have to quarantine for 14 days on their return to the UK although some like Australia and New Zealand are expected to retain border controls and quarantine for as long as the rest of 2020.
It is not clear whether Scotland will be able to block the plan or if Boris Johnson’s Government can go ahead irrespective of whatever Ms Sturgeon decides.
The First Minister tweeted that Mr Shapps’ comments were a misrepresentation of her position but “disappointing and sadly not surprising.”
Scottish Government Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf said the suggestion the SNP was responsible for the delay was “completely unfounded.”
"We have sought, as far as possible, a four-nations approach to this issue, but such a policy requires meaningful consultation by the UK Government - something which has so far been lacking.
"I joined ministers from the other devolved administrations for a discussion with Matt Hancock last night to discuss the latest UK Government proposed list of 'air-bridge' countries - which had been significantly changed from those provided late on Sunday and which were presented to my officials less than an hour beforehand.
"Further information, including yet more revision to the list of countries, was not provided until after the meeting had ended."

Whilst it would be desirable for Boris Johnson to get agreement from the Scottish Government to these exemptions, I hope he does not allow Ms Sturgeon to unduly delay things, to the detriment of people in England.

Ms. Sturgeon has also relaxed the 5 mile travel restriction, except for 5 postcodes in Dumfries and Galloway near the English border. This is because of an outbreak of COVID-19 in these areas, but would also have the effect, if obeyed, of preventing people in those areas from travelling over the border to visit a pub in England from Saturday.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
The Telegraph are also reporting that one reason for the delay is that the Scottish government are dragging their feet in agreeing to the exemptions.

Whilst it would be desirable for Boris Johnson to get agreement from the Scottish Government to these exemptions, I hope he does not allow Ms Sturgeon to unduly delay things, to the detriment of people in England.

Ms. Sturgeon has also relaxed the 5 mile travel restriction, except for 5 postcodes in Dumfries and Galloway near the English border. This is because of an outbreak of COVID-19 in these areas, but would also have the effect, if obeyed, of preventing people in those areas from travelling over the border to visit a pub in England from Saturday.
Which would be the responsible thing to do.

AM9

Veteran Member
Word up here is that there is plenty of posturing on both sides, but it will be sorted.
Sorry, - I should have pointed out that I was only referring to the comment about Dumfries and Galloway being restricted which prevent people there popping across the border to visit English pubs. Your comment about it being sorted is true as it will be so when the area's infection rate falls from its present high.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Word up here is that there is plenty of posturing on both sides, but it will be sorted.

Its being reported this morning that the lifting of quarantine requirements for up to 60 countries will apply to those "arriving in England". What that may mean for Scottish & Welsh travellers I don't yet know, but more details should be out today.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Looks like there will be different travel announcements today, and different implementation dates across the UK.
I didn't hear anything from Shapps' appearances on TV/radio that rail travel was out of the "don't use unless you have to" state.

duncanp

Established Member
I believe you still have to fill in the form saying where you are ging to be staying for 14 days on arrival in the UK.

If Scottish and Welsh travellers still have to self isolate on arrival in Scotland or Wales, what is to stop them travelling to an English airport and then crossing the relevant border?

It will be very difficult for Scotland and Wales to try and enforce quarantine if there is no quarantine for arrivals in England.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Whilst I intend to fully abide by the local lockdown, I know many, many people up here who have a table booked in Carlisle tomorrow at a pub and intend to use the 156 to get there.

I’ve heard rumours that BTP will be put on all 156’s this weekend asking to prove your journey is essential to ensure there’s no leisure traffic across the border. Is this legally enforceable?

Richard Scott

Established Member
I believe you still have to fill in the form saying where you are ging to be staying for 14 days on arrival in the UK.

If Scottish and Welsh travellers still have to self isolate on arrival in Scotland or Wales, what is to stop them travelling to an English airport and then crossing the relevant border?

It will be very difficult for Scotland and Wales to try and enforce quarantine if there is no quarantine for arrivals in England.
Exactly. This is the ludicrous situation we find ourselves in with the devolved governments of Scotland and Wales. All they want to do is play political games, the impression they're giving is that they don't care about the residents of their respective countries and their well-being as long as they can take the moral high ground.

thejuggler

The Scottish 'political game' appears to be working considering their infection and deaths rate is so much better than England.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
The Scottish 'political game' appears to be working considering their infection and deaths rate is so much better than England.
It does appear that if any cases appear whatsoever in Scotland she will implement a local lockdown in the relevant area.

My region have had 10 cases in the past week (which I don't think is many) and she's maintained the travel ban and suspended care home visits. Is this really a sustainable long term solution?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Whilst I intend to fully abide by the local lockdown
In which case you are perfectly entitled to travel to Carlisle if you want to, for example, go to the pub there. After all, Regulation 8(5)(aa) of the Scottish Restrictions Regulations provides that it is a reasonable excuse to leave the place you are living:
to make use of a service provided by a business or service not listed in Part 2 of schedule 1

Pubs are not listed in Part 2 of schedule 1 and accordingly you are perfectly within your rights to travel to a Carlislian pub.

The five mile "limit" is a nonsense piece of guidance that you would do well to treat with the same respect that Sturgeon is treating the citizens of Scotland - i.e. none!

I’ve heard rumours that BTP will be put on all 156’s this weekend asking to prove your journey is essential to ensure there’s no leisure traffic across the border. Is this legally enforceable?
I suspect that is a case of Chinese whispers, perhaps starting from a report that BTP will be put on (some) GSW services in case of disorder. As stated above, there is no legal restriction on travelling to Carlisle to go to the pub. The only thing you are required to prove is that you have a ticket, regardless of what ScotRail may be blathering on about.

duncanp

Established Member
I suspect that is a case of Chinese whispers, perhaps starting from a report that BTP will be put on (some) GSW services in case of disorder. As stated above, there is no legal restriction on travelling to Carlisle to go to the pub.

There is engineering work between Kilmarnock and Dumfries tomorrow, which will restrict numbers of people travelling from North of Dumfries.

I suspect services from Glasgow Central to Carlisle will also be busy, as will trains from Edinburgh to Berwick and Newcastle.

No doubt there will be issues with people not wearing face masks.

All these trains will no doubt have BTP on board and at the station to prevent disorder, but trying to stop people from travelling could cause more trouble than it is worth. Trains from Glasgow Central will not be stopping anywhere in the five affected postcodes of Dumfries and Galloway, so that cannot be used as an excuse to prevent travel.

kevin_roche

I'm suspicious of the sudden recount of cases. Yesterday they quietly announced that many cases had been counted twice and as a result, the government have removed 30,302 cases from the statistics with the stoke of a pen.

The methodology for reporting positive cases changed on 2 July 2020 to remove duplicates within and across pillars 1 and 2, to ensure that a person who tests positive is only counted once. Due to this change, and a revision of historical data in pillar 1, the cumulative total for positive cases is 30,302 lower than if you added the daily figure to yesterday’s total.

I'm wondering if they decided to do that now so more places will let Brits in.

On Moderation
I'm suspicious of the sudden recount of cases. Yesterday they quietly announced that many cases had been counted twice and as a result, the government have removed 30,302 cases from the statistics with the stoke of a pen.

Now if they would do that with the number of tests carried out instead of including the number sent out/requested we may to able to get more accurate figures about the rate of infection.

Bantamzen

Established Member

With the Pillar 2 data only coming into scrutiny in the last few days, it is not surprising this is happening as there was always the potential for someone to request a home test, only then to later have a test through the NHS services. What is surprising is that the media haven't picked up on it, or maybe they are just ignoring it as it doesn't fit the fear agenda?

adc82140

Established Member
The list has been published.

Andorra Germany New Zealand
Antigua and Barbuda Greece Norway
Aruba Greenland Poland
Australia Grenada Réunion
Austria Guadeloupe San Marino
Bahamas Hong Kong Serbia
Barbados Hungary Seychelles
Belgium Iceland South Korea
Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba Italy Spain
Croatia Jamaica St Barthélemy
Curaçao Japan St Kitts and Nevis
Cyprus Liechtenstein St Lucia
Czech Republic Lithuania St Pierre and Miquelon
Denmark Luxembourg Switzerland
Dominica Macau Taiwan
Faroe Islands Malta Trinidad and Tobago
Fiji Mauritius Turkey
Finland Monaco Vatican City
France Netherlands Vietnam
French Polynesia New Caledonia
Ireland is already exempt as part of the common travel area, as are the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

I wonder how many of those UK staycations booked last week will now be cancelled?

Silverlinky

There was a delay in publishing the daily figures yesterday, it was only when I looked late evening that I saw this reason had been given.

I suppose it makes sense, if someone is tested at a mobile testing station, or completes a home test, tests positive and then goes to hospital and is tested again on arrival, they seem to have counted this as two positive tests, despite it being for the same person, so they have removed some 9% of the total number.....not unreasonable. I'd have to question why duplicates were counted in the first place, just shows how unjoined-up the health service is at times.

I would be more suspicious if they'd revised the death figure down by 10000, i'd be then thinking "what are they trying to hide?"....I don't believe that's the case for total figures. The daily figures have continued on the same downward curve throughout.

Butts

Veteran Member

Aruba Greenland Poland
Bahamas Hong Kong Serbia
Dominica Macau Taiwan
Fiji Mauritius Turkey
Ireland is already exempt as part of the common travel area, as are the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

I wonder how many of those UK staycations booked last week will now be cancelled?

Excellent that's me sorted Fag Run to Luxembourg on the 2/3 August and Port Adventura Spain the week after for a few days.

I booked before the announcement, wonder if prices will start climbing now ?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Having said it would be Red, Amber, Green, there is no mention of this on the FCO site.
Nothing has yet been said about "essential travel only" which is the current advice.
And nothing about restrictions at the other end, so you still have to work it out bilaterally.
Wales still says "avoid unnecessary travel" despite lifting the 5-mile local limit.

Jamiescott1

I'm going to Croatia on Monday, it wasn't on the "leaked" list published by the telegraph but thankfully is on the official list

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

Aruba Greenland Poland
Bahamas Hong Kong Serbia
Dominica Macau Taiwan
Fiji Mauritius Turkey

So that's all EU countries apart from Portugal, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia. Plus a couple of "familiar favourites" such as Switzerland, Iceland and the Vatican City.

It's difficult to imagine that the "ban" on the eastern European countries is on the basis of high numbers of cases; they generally had harsh and effective (true!) lockdowns. Instead, I understand it is because some (if not all) of the countries in question won't let in UK residents, so that disqualifies them from being on the "yellow" list of countries that you can travel between without quarantine at either end.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Having said it would be Red, Amber, Green, there is no mention of this on the FCO site.
Nothing has yet been said about "essential travel only" which is the current advice.
And nothing about restrictions at the other end, so you still have to work it out bilaterally.
Wales still says "avoid unnecessary travel" despite lifting the 5-mile local limit.
AIUI from what was reported this morning.

'Amber' are countries that form part of the 'Air bridges' arrangement; in that quarantine / self isolation will not be required in either the destination country or England.
'Green' are countries that self isolation will not be required in England on arrival from this country, but in which some form of restriction will apply for travel from England/UK.

Yes, that way round is correct according to BBC - not sure quite what the logic is in that. Would have thought the other way round makes more sense.

So Greece is a 'Green' country, because there are no restrictions on people travelling in to this country from Greece, but Greece has implemented some restrictions on inbound travel which are outlined on the FCO website.

Domh245

Established Member
It's difficult to imagine that the "ban" on the eastern European countries is on the basis of high numbers of cases; they generally had harsh and effective (true!) lockdowns. Instead, I understand it is because some (if not all) of the countries in question won't let in UK residents, so that disqualifies them from being on the "yellow" list of countries that you can travel between without quarantine at either end.

Seeing as New Zealand and Australia are on the list, reciprocity (or lack of) clearly isn't the issue! A quick check using google's case numbers suggests that in most cases, those countries are actually seeing a small increase in cases at the moment (in some cases from low baselines granted), which is more likely the reason why

Chester1

Established Member
So that's all EU countries apart from Portugal, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia. Plus a couple of "familiar favourites" such as Switzerland, Iceland and the Vatican City.

Croatia is on the list.

Seeing as New Zealand and Australia are on the list, reciprocity (or lack of) clearly isn't the issue! A quick check using google's case numbers suggests that in most cases, those countries are actually seeing a small increase in cases at the moment (in some cases from low baselines granted), which is more likely the reason why

New Zealand and Australia sort of are reciprocal because they are banning their own citizens from leaving without authorisation. This is only granted for exceptional circumstances and they must quarantine on government guarded facilities on their return. This mirrors policy towards Brits wishing to enter Australia and New Zealand. If they relax the policy in an uneven way to advantage their citizens then they will probably get removed from the list.

Gadget88

I read they want to test on arrival I guess this is for places not included in air bridges?

Belperpete

Established Member
I was wondering why Latvia and Estonia have been missed off the list, despite both having very low infection rates. Whereas Lithuania has been included, despite it being in a bubble with Latvia and Estonia. Wondering what Latvia is doing, I found their government web-site where it clearly lays out that quarantine is waved for all countries with an infection rate that does not exceed 15 individuals per 100,000 over 14 days, and a colour-coded list showing the countries and their infection rates:
National Covid Morbidity Rates
(In case you are wondering, Sweden is coded red with 144.5, travel not recommended & quarantine required, likewise Luxemburg at 48.6. Whereas the UK at 19.2 is coded yellow "Evaluate the need for your trip" & quarantine required, Poland at 10.9 is quarantine not required.)

Simple to understand, and everyone can see the logic. Whereas there is no transparency or attempt at justification whatsoever in Boris's list. Latvia with a very low infection rate is not on our list, whereas Luxemburg (that has a much higher rate and so is coded red by Latvia) is on our no-quarantine list! Our list seems to be more about political wheeler-dealing and pandering to public opinion than any serious attempt at infection control. But that is par for the course with Boris.

kevin_roche

I'm planning a trip to Belgium via France both of which are on the list but the Foreign office advice is that you have to quarantine in France for 14 days. It could take quite a while to drive anywhere at that rate! Does anyone know if France have stopped actually quarantining people from the UK now we have stopped with people coming from France?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'm planning a trip to Belgium via France both of which are on the list but the Foreign office advice is that you have to quarantine in France for 14 days. It could take quite a while to drive anywhere at that rate! Does anyone know if France have stopped actually quarantining people from the UK now we have stopped with people coming from France?
France advises people coming from the UK to quarantine for 14 days, and implemented this as a half-hearted bilateral measure when the UK implemented a quarantine on French visitors. It's always been entirely voluntary though, and I imagine it will now be lifted given that France is a "yellow light" country.

Status
Not open for further replies.