• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airbus A380 at Heathrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
It passed over Manchester didn't it?

Nice to see it though! :D

The Snap

Established Member
Mushroom said:
It went over Merseyside and North Manchester.
Oh right, so the Crumpsall and Bury sort of area. I live directly under a main flight path into Manchester Airport (Droylsden). :)

Mushroom

Rich said:
Oh right, so the Crumpsall and Bury sort of area. I live directly under a main flight path into Manchester Airport (Droylsden). :)

It won't have gone through the approach for obvious reasons

Ascot

Established Member
Nice to see that thing over here. I think the 787 will be a more popular seller though.

Ascot said:
Nice to see that thing over here. I think the 787 will be a more popular seller though.

Probably... but then again it is less than half the size of the A380 and in this game it's profits that count, not numbers of units.

Have to say I didn't even really know about it until afterwards and it doesn't really excite me that much and I am suppose to be an aviation nut. First flight was exciting but this is rather mundane to me.. now where did I put my A320 manual I want to do something exciting ;)

Gareth Hale

ckyliu said:
I am suppose to be an aviation nut.

Of course you are...... Your a pilot :)

Its fantastic to see the A380 landing on the runway I have landed on before. Fantastic news!

Gareth Hale said:
Its fantastic to see the A380 landing on the runway I have landed on before. Fantastic news!

And hearin lies the problem, that is all it is to me, a plane landing on a runway its never landed on before. First flight was exciting but this just doesn't do anything for me. As far as I am concerned its just going to be a pain at Heathrow for wake vortex seperation - no one is going to come in 2.5mi behind that lump.

And god isn't it bloody ugly? Looks okay from a distance but when I saw the news coverage shots from the terminal all you see the massive "forehead", if you will, and those tiny little windows which appear lost. I would of thought they might of stuck a second row of windows in for the upstairs if there was room, but I guess that adds weight and they'll probably want to stick something there like crewrest or avionics.

However I do love the new cockpit, takes the whole Airbus philosophy a whole step on and I can't wait for a more indepth look into it. The EFB would be a welcome addition to my flightdeck anyday!

Ascot

Established Member
God i remember the 1st order been placed at the Farnborough airshow back in 2000 and that massive A3xx banner along side the runway. Really must get my camera out and save money as Birmingham won't be seeing many soon.

LondonBVE

Well at least i'm proud of my airline company as it was introduced to ours first and we get it running this year. I think the first service started in April 2006 in our own airline livery.

TAS

LondonBVE said:
Well at least i'm proud of my airline company as it was introduced to ours first and we get it running this year. I think the first service started in April 2006 in our own airline livery.
Read the link. They haven't got them yet.

Mushroom said:
They're getting them around October sort of time i think.

You are assuming there are no more cockups... such as the ultimate load test on the wing...

No A380s are yet in revenue service, they're all test mules but some have been seen in airline colours for promotional purposes, such as Emirates, Singapore and Quantas, or simply to save Airbus have to paint them again later.

With any luck we should see the first scheduled A380-800 flight from Singapore Airlines during Q4 2006. However if anything serious crops up expect it to be Q1 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.