• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airedale services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
Saw a report that all services Apperley - Ilkley and Shipley - Ilkley are suspended due OHLE problems.
Any detail?
There were high winds so is it lineside trees across the wires?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluenoxid

Established Member
Repeat after me. Wharfedale. Airedale is the valley which contains Bingley, Keighley and Skipton. Together, the rail routes serving both valleys form the Triangle.

Also serious flooding on the road between Skipton and Ilkley.

IanD

Established Member
Airedale is the valley which contains Bingley, Keighley and Skipton.

And Leeds and Apperley Bridge (named after the bridge over the river Aire at that point) and Shipley!

"Airedale" is the name that WYMetro (WYPTE at the time I believe) gave to their rail services on the Leeds/Bradford <> Skipton corridor.

"Wharfedale" is the name they gave to their services on the Leeds/Bradford <> Ilkely routes which also pass through the valley of the River Aire for some of their length.

spionkop64

And Leeds and Apperley Bridge (named after the bridge over the river Aire at that point) and Shipley!

"Airedale" is the name that WYMetro (WYPTE at the time I believe) gave to their rail services on the Leeds/Bradford <> Skipton corridor.

"Wharfedale" is the name they gave to their services on the Leeds/Bradford <> Ilkely routes which also pass through the valley of the River Aire for some of their length.

Baildon is is Airedale, but is served by the Wharfdale BDQ-Ilk services.

Best not mention Caldervale, a concept I've never got my head around (answers on a postcard).

Welshman

Established Member
Baildon is is Airedale, but is served by the Wharfdale BDQ-Ilk services.

Best not mention Caldervale, a concept I've never got my head around (answers on a postcard).

I know - when I lived in Halifax, it was always the "Calder Valley" or "Calderdale"

I think "Caldervale" was a name dreamed-up by the West Yorkshire Metro.

So why not "Colnevale" for the Huddersfield-Marsden local service, or "Holmevale" for the Penistone line?

IanD

Established Member

Couldn't find a postcard to attach. I think they used Caldervale rather than Calderdale to avoid confusion with the local authority of the same name. Wouldn't explain the "Wakefield" line though. And that also only covers services Leeds-Wakefield Westgate-Doncaster, rather than all the "Wakefield" lines.

4SRKT

Established Member
Baildon is not in either dale. but stuck up on the lump of rock between the two

Baildon is postally Shipley, and is very much on the Airedale side of the watershed. The station is really in Charlestown anyway, low down in the valley.

Guiseley OTOH is only just Wharfedale, being rather in the pass between the two dales that allows the railway through (albeit with a lot of tunnels, cuttings and gradients.

Status
Not open for further replies.