• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airlines damaging luggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Morning all,

I'm currently enjoying a lovely visit to Iceland and due to return tomorrow, however unfortunately it seems I'm going to have to spend my afternoon looking to buy new cases for our return thanks to IcelandAir damaging both cases beyond repair on the inbound flight.

We reported it at the Airport desk and have a report but the website says we need to report it in writing, is this the report we made at the Airport? Or do we need to do it again?

Also they say we need to go to a workshop for a valuation but it's shut the weekend... does anyone know the next steps to take please? The other issue I can foresee is that trying to buy like for like replacements will be a lot more expensive in Iceland than compared to the UK so will we be left out of pocket by their negligence?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TravelDream

I had a quick look on the Icelandair website and it appears you need to report it again using the online system, though it is quite strange.
Didn't the ground staff give you any details? The airline should really contact you to take things further.

I would report it and tell them you were on holiday and couldn't access the store as you a) didn't know where it was, b) were on holiday and c) found out it was closed on the weekend anyway.

To be honest, it seems like a system designed to avoid paying out. I have only had a bag damaged once, but the airline immediately gave me a brand new suitcase at the airport. Push, push push would be my advice.

TravelDream

Not really. They only said that they could take the report and didn't know anything else about the process.

I might have misunderstood, but my take is you are saying you reported the damage at the airport and the staff didn't tell you anything other than take the report. Is that right?

Which staff did you talk to? That sounds really strange to be honest. You should have spoken to whoever handles Icelandair in Keflavik. It's not like it's an outstation - it's their main base.

Edit: A quick check shows that Icelandair self-handles so the staff should 110% definitely know the process. I think you were given the run-around.

TravelDream

Correct. It was the Icelandair staff at the desk in Keflavik Airport

Have they gotten back to you yet?

If they don't in a day or two, contact them on Twitter. I have always found airline Twitter teams (and all company Twitter teams to be honest) to be far better and faster than more traditional channels.

As I said in my post above, don't forget to push. If your suticase is a cheap crap one like mine, you'll want to get a new one. If it's a fancy expensive one, you'll want a proper repair. Also, don't forget to tell them about the stress and worry in regards to their bureaucracy and the lack of information given by their staff at the airport. A nice voucher might help with the suffering (yes, I am terrible!).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Norwegian broke my case a couple of years back and gave me about fifty quid for it despite it being worth nearly double that.

I’m not sure if Icelandair are a more honourable operator.

Established Member
I've tweeted them, will see what they come back with. Skipped out on an afternoon tour to find a replacement bag as well :rolleyes:

No reply on Twitter and tried to phone them this morning, can't help until 12pm sorry bye.

Anyone got any ideas for escalating things if needs be?

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Damage to luggage is a common problem because airport workers are careless with other people's luggage.
FWIW, I think BA use containerised luggage at Heathrow.
Ie the luggage is put in a container which is lifted into the hold, rather than being loose. I guess means it is less likely to be damaged.

Also it's worth considering that damaged luggage is a possibility, so take something cheap and durable.

BJames

Established Member
I've tweeted them, will see what they come back with. Skipped out on an afternoon tour to find a replacement bag as well :rolleyes:

No reply on Twitter and tried to phone them this morning, can't help until 12pm sorry bye.

Anyone got any ideas for escalating things if needs be?
Just seen this thread, but I am curious, given this was a while ago now - what was the conclusion to this? I do hope you managed to get some form of recompense from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.