• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airport codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdonnigan

same as station codes same rules apply four letter code And/or three letter codes must be in capital letters. If you cant think of another code then open floor. So to start lets go with LGZA i want full airport name not nickname

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
So, just to clarify, is this IATA (3-letter, more common for the general public) or ICAO (4-letter, used in flight operations) codes? We've got a mixture in the replies!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think this is easy NRT

Narita International Airport (it's not officially called Tokyo-Narita), that's an IATA code.

Open floor.

Last edited:

furryfeet

Correct. But not for much longer.

Why is this ? Is the airport being closed ?

Another code
EIS / TUPJ

If anyone could state
a) the length of the runway in metres
b) the largest business jet which can land and takeoff from there I would be most interested.

deltic1989

Established Member
Why is this ? Is the airport being closed ?

Another code
EIS / TUPJ

If anyone could state
a) the length of the runway in metres
b) the largest business jet which can land and takeoff from there I would be most interested.

Thats Beef Island in the British Virgin Islands, Runway Length is 3500ft (1066.8 metres). No details on the biggest aircraft its possable to land there but its normally served by ATR turbo-props.

4SRKT

Established Member
Isn't this sort of quiz kind of, well, pointless when everyone's sitting at home on his own in front of his computer and nobody can be 100% sure that everyone else isn't just looking up the answers? It's like my trademark postcode quiz; it has to be done face to face.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Isn't this sort of quiz kind of, well, pointless when everyone's sitting at home on his own in front of his computer and nobody can be 100% sure that everyone else isn't just looking up the answers? It's like my trademark postcode quiz; it has to be done face to face.

The only reason why I posted the last clue was that a visitor from that country had been in a delegation to one of our projects. This was his local airport and although the OP stated the 4-letter code, I gave both the 3-letter IATA code and the 4-letter ICAO code, in case some members were more familiar with the 3-letter IATA code.

In answer to the question that you have raised, I must confess that the quiz had been somewhat quiet of late. What do you propose should be done?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Moving away from ICAO codes, what does Liverpool John Lennon have in common with Gatwick?

Do I take it that OENG no longer needs solving and the quiz is now assuming a new entity?

If it is, a new thread with a set of rules should be set up, so as not to confuse matters with this particular quiz, which is actually called Airport Codes.

SwindonPkwy

Sorry, I completely missed OENG. Najran, Saudi Arabia. Pretty obscure, long runway, very few operators. Does it have a military purpose or is it a Saudi vanity project?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sorry, I completely missed OENG. Najran, Saudi Arabia. Pretty obscure, long runway, very few operators. Does it have a military purpose or is it a Saudi vanity project?

Your solving of the clue was impeccable and Narjan is classified as a "domestic" airport, but as you rightly point out, being in an obscure region with very few operators actually using it and possessing a very long runway, does leave certain "other" options open to it, that I shall leave open to your imagination. I should imagine the Mossad have much detail on this particular airport in their records.

Do you now want to set the next 4-letter ICAO code for solution?

SwindonPkwy

My four letter code is RPVT but I also have a question regarding ICAO codes. I vaguely know that the first letter is a continent or region, as in E for Europe. But my question is this: does Antarctica have any ICAO codes? Aircraft land there and have to log flight plans. If not, what is the minimum criteria, control tower/radio frequency/navigation beacon? I guess a permanent runway would be a start, as well.

On the subject of Narjan "Domestic" Airport. A Google Earth search reveals a large terminal and second runway under construction. Also, very evident are 'dispersal' stands at each end of the runway. No sign of any F15's though.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
My four letter code is RPVT but I also have a question regarding ICAO codes. I vaguely know that the first letter is a continent or region, as in E for Europe. But my question is this: does Antarctica have any ICAO codes? Aircraft land there and have to log flight plans. If not, what is the minimum criteria, control tower/radio frequency/navigation beacon? I guess a permanent runway would be a start, as well.

I will answer you as follows:-

RPVT is Tagbilaran airport that serves Tagbilaran City,Bohol Province, in the Philippines. It is rated as a principal class1 airport.

With regards to Antarctica, there is a special agreement that only allows flights by air there to accredited research stations, of which many countries have there. Britain has four such landing fields for its research stations:-
Fossil Bluff, George VI Sound....................Skiway
Halley Station, Brunt Ice Shelf..................Skiway
Rothera Research Station, Rothera Point.....Airdrome
Sky Blue, Ellesmere Land..........................Airdrome

My next clue is SEPV

SwindonPkwy

Okay, I'm going to do this without Google. I think S is going to be South America.
Port Stanley or South Georgia?
Failing that, I would go E for Ecuador and since I don't know the capital, how about the Galapagos (spelling?) Islands?

Status
Not open for further replies.