• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ais Gill Railway Collision 1995 (Cumbria)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG11

Good evening all. I was reading on Madasfish about a serious incident in Ais Gill, North West England in January 1995 where 2 Class 156 units collided and subsequently, a member of the on-train team sadly pased away. I was looking for the RAIB report on it, but couldn't find one, I couldn't find any images other than a grainy, black and white image, taken from a distance. I looked on this forum, but the only search results for Ais Gill were a brief mention in a Northern DOO thread.

These are the facts I know so far:
*First Class 156 was stopped and ordered by the signalman or woman to reverse, due to a blockage on the line.
*At some point, this plan was abandoned, for some reason, and the decision was made to detrain the 156.
*Whilst this was happening, the second Class 156 approached, and collided head-on with the unit.
*A member of staff sadly died, as they were trying to detrain pasengers.

What isn't clear is, why the train was ordered to reverse, when there was another train approaching behind. I also wonder if the latter was the reason this decision was revoked and the plan was changed to do a detrain instead. It is said the deceased was at the front of the train, it doesn't say if they were onboard or not. With them likely to be stood up and aware of surroundings on the line, how did they not move further back, to minimise injury?

Does anyone know where I can find the RAIB report in this incident?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
The report was from the HSE/HMRI and can be found here: http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/HSE_AisGill1995.pdf

However the details you have are completely wrong.

• The first, down train derailed on a landslide and was fouling the up line.
  • The driver was injured leaving the guard as sole person of responsibility.
  • The rule book states that the guard should immediately place protection on the opposing line to protect the derailed train.
  • It is possible that due to an ambiguous radio message, he believed that approaching trains were being made aware of the situation.
  • Instead of placing track clip/detonators/displaying a red flag, he was aiding passengers from the derailed, unlit coach, into the rear coach which was still standing on the down line. (There is no mention of de-training and this seems unlikely).
  • Rail control missed an opportunity to make a radio call that could have alerted the approaching up train.
  • The up service collided with the leading, derailed car of the train causing the fatality.

MG11

Thank you Tim!! I will have a read through it now. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Yes it seems some of the facts have been muddled up in hearsay!

MG11

Figure ii doesn't seem to be supported by the image on page 17. In figure ii, the deceased is located around 1/4 of the way down the carriage. Yet, in the image on page 17, that part of the train appears un-damaged. Unless the deceased was propelled out of the train and to the outside. But there is nowhere visible in that image that the deceased could have left the train, if anything, it seems that the struck train bore the brunt of the impact on the right hand side, and the deceased was found on the left.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Figure ii doesn't seem to be supported by the image on page 17. In figure ii, the deceased is located around 1/4 of the way down the carriage. Yet, in the image on page 17, that part of the train appears un-damaged. Unless the deceased was propelled out of the train and to the outside. But there is nowhere visible in that image that the deceased could have left the train, if anything, it seems that the struck train bore the brunt of the impact on the right hand side, and the deceased was found on the left.

I am fairly certain the HMRI will have been correct in their assessment of the situation.

pdeaves

Established Member

Declaration: I haven't read the report.

However, it is possible that the deceased's injuries were caused by the vehicle shaking on impact, causing them to fall or something. Not saying that's what happened, just that is is possible for a fatal injury to occur somewhere not obvious at first.

randyrippley

Established Member
According to the local press at the time, radio contact with the second train was impossible due to the local geography. The signalling staff knew a collision was going to happen but were unable to stop it. Again, according to the local press, they were so sure the collision would happen that the emergency services were summoned before the impact occurred. If my memory is correct, the fire brigade were carried to site by a third unit

AndrewE

Established Member
I think the thread title is over-dramatic... a small accident, unfortunately 1 fatality, newsworthy because it was/is very unusual but still nothing compared to the daily death toll on our roads. Certainly not a disaster, in fact when I first read it I imagined it was the 1913 accident being referred to: 16 deaths and 38 injuries according to Wikipedia.

55z

The collision occured if my memory is correct occured at Mallerstang or Mallerstang Common not at Ais Gill. and the area was a radio blackspot - since corrected with the digital radio system.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think the thread title is over-dramatic... a small accident, unfortunately 1 fatality, newsworthy because it was/is very unusual but still nothing compared to the daily death toll on our roads. Certainly not a disaster, in fact when I first read it I imagined it was the 1913 accident being referred to: 16 deaths and 38 injuries according to Wikipedia.

exactly my thoughts

Nikki cantrill

The fatality on this train was my father Stuart Wilson. MG11 he died because he was just finishing off moving people to a safer part of the train and was stood between the 2 carriages at the time of impact and fell through and hit his head on the rail

MG11

The fatality on this train was my father Stuart Wilson. MG11 he died because he was just finishing off moving people to a safer part of the train and was stood between the 2 carriages at the time of impact and fell through and hit his head on the rail
Sorry for your loss.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

Agreed - very sorry for your loss , God Bless him...

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I'm a bit late coming in here, so very sad to read this but I'm sure you and your family must be very proud of your father, a true hero who very bravely put his passengers safety above his own.

MG11

I'm a bit late coming in here, so very sad to read this but I'm sure you and your family must be very proud of your father, a true hero who very bravely put his passengers safety above his own.
Yes, the passengers spoke very highly of him.

I hope no distress has been caused by this thread, we do tend to discuss railway issues of past and present and try to do it with respect and sensitivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.