• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alan Pegler RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oracle

Established Member
RIP. I met him many years ago in York I think it was at a what was then the Association of Railway Preservations Societies annual conference; this would be around 1980. I met him over breakfast. A very nice gentleman. I think he was working for VSOE at the time on the Victoria-Folkestone trains though at some stage I am sure I heard that he played 'Henry VIII' at the 'medieval banquets' held in a London restaurant.

GNER 373

RIP, was lucky enough to meet him last year at the unveiling of 4472 at the NRM, a really nice man sad loss to the railway world!

9K43

As there were only 6 proper Guards on EWS, in the mid Yorkshire area in the mid 2000's we were inundated with all manner of passenger charters ranging from the Green Express, Scarborough Flyer, Northern Belle, VSOP. and the Scottish RPS to name a few.
This is where I met Mr Pegler 2 or 3 times in this period.
My main memory was at Scarbrough on a Saturday with the NRM engine Green Arrow which came up from Doncaster.
I made it in my way to speak to this gentleman on the return journey back to York.
I always found him a really nice fellow, and a credit to the railway preservation cause.
On this journey he offered to buy me a double brandy, which I thanked him for, but had to decline his offer as drinking on duty was some thing that you did not do.
He ended up buying me a cup of coffee.
I sat with him for a good while, then shook hands and left him to carry on with my guards duty.
It left me with the impression of a really good chap in all ways.
The driver of the V2 was the fireman on the Scotsman on it visit to America in the 1960's.

Status
Not open for further replies.