• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Albanian Railways (HSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
I`m so sorry I missed a ride along the line to Pogradec, such a magical place situated on the shores of Lake Ohrid, more like an inland sea than a lake.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member

Bungle158

shredder1

Established Member
At least some of the trackbed beyond Elbasan seems to be in reasonable nick. I saw long stretches of track and sleepers from the bus

Yes I walked a section of it, quite a few large rocks lie across the tracks in places, but it wouldn't take much to get it going again I`m sure.

BRX

Established Member
Yes I walked a section of it, quite a few large rocks lie across the tracks in places, but it wouldn't take much to get it going again I`m sure.
Probably not much in practical terms but a great deal in political terms.

shredder1

Established Member
Probably not much in practical terms but a great deal in political terms.

Yes I`m sure, lots of very high bridges and tunnels on the line to Pogradec which would want maintaining, a beautiful tourist line though if they ever did.,

BRX

Established Member
Yes I`m sure, lots of very high bridges and tunnels on the line to Pogradec which would want maintaining, a beautiful tourist line though if they ever did.,
Given that they've moved the train station in Tirana *out* of the centre of town, it seems to me rather clear that the current government have zero interest in investing in the railways, even in a longer term future. It's very depressing.

shredder1

Established Member
Given that they've moved the train station in Tirana *out* of the centre of town, it seems to me rather clear that the current government have zero interest in investing in the railways, even in a longer term future. It's very depressing.

The present services run from Durress and the station has posters up showing a projected rail link from Durress to Tirane to the Airport, the site of the station in Tirane when we visited it, we were told was being rebuilt as a new railway and bus station, plenty of development was taking place on my visit.

These links look hopefull though, https://hsh.com.al/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Network-Statement-1.pdf

BRX

Established Member
The present services run from Durress and the station has posters up showing a projected rail link from Durress to Tirane to the Airport, the site of the station in Tirane when we visited it, we were told was being rebuilt as a new railway and bus station, plenty of development was taking place on my visit.

These links look hopefull though, https://hsh.com.al/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Network-Statement-1.pdf
You've prompted me to do a bit of digging and perhaps the situation for the future is less hopeless than I had thought.

There is a document here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct..._29Nov18.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3exev48qt6Tt0w1KcKgDst

That suggests that the line back in to a central terminus in Tirana might be reinstated (although, looks like possibly a 'light rail' link that would mean changing trains at what they call the 'Public Transport Terminal' on the periphery?
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.32.56.jpg

There also seems to be some suggestion that the line to Podgarec has not been abandoned, and could even be connected up to some new lines? No idea how likely any of that is to happen though.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.34.27.jpg

Hopefully, despite reports that the line up to Pogradec has been ripped up, they have not sold off land and so forth that would make a reinstatement more difficult than it need be?

shredder1

Established Member
Thats great thank for the links, so much potential, I do hope so in any form, especially Pogradec, I was really amazed by this place, it reminded me of one of those Clint Eastwood type Western towns on the side of a big lake.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thats great thank for the links, so much potential, I do hope so in any form, especially Pogradec, I was really amazed by this place, it reminded me of one of those Clint Eastwood type Western towns on the side of a big lake.

For some reason, I suspect Albania is a bit like what an independent Wales would be like (very scenic but very poor).

I have been there but years ago, my favourite picture from it is attached (I'm not that skinny now! :) )

Attachments

• P1010043.JPG
    P1010043.JPG
    909.3 KB · Views: 37

Bungle158

Albania is a bit like Greece was 40 years ago, without the cheeky chappies molesting every female between 16 and 66.

The alignment at old Tirana station site seems not to have been encroached on, but this is a desperately poor country so don't expect a Balkan HS2 any time soon.

Albanians seem bewildered that anyone would take the train by choice, which is a shame. The country is scenically stunning, locals friendly and prices way cheaper than Italy or Greece

BRX

Established Member
The alignment at old Tirana station site seems not to have been encroached on,

Basically a giant multi-lane road has been built right through where the station was. The station was about where it (still) says "Stacioni i trenit" on the aerial view below. You can see the curve of the track route at the top of the image. Presumably, the route for a line could follow that and perhaps squeeze alongside the new highway. Maybe some of that open land could be used for a new station? Otherwise, it would have to be a very small affair, not the sort of thing you'd recognise as a proper terminus for a capital city.

The brutal way the city centre station was flattened and replaced with a giant highway (which no modern city should really be building in its central area anyway) - and then the 'public transport terminal' built at a remote location appears emblematic of a certain attitude. Let's hope it isn't all as bad as it looks though.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 14.10.46.jpg

BRX

Established Member
The new bus and train station is to be 4km away.

Status
Not open for further replies.