• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alcohol ban on scottish trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey65

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-15743958
I think this proposal is a good idea as it will hopefully cut alcohol fuelled anti social behaviour on trains and at stations and more importantly improve safety for passengers and staff.
I don't see the need for alcohol to be sold on public transport like ferries,trains and planes or at stations,airports or other transport hubs can't people surely wait until they get to where they are going before they have a drink it is no wonder we have a massive alcohol abuse problem in britain.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think this proposal is a good idea as it will hopefully cut alcohol fuelled anti social behaviour on trains and at stations and more importantly improve safety for passengers and staff.
I don't see the need for alcohol to be sold on public transport like ferries,trains and planes or at stations,airports or other transport hubs can't people surely wait until they get to where they are going before they have a drink it is no wonder we have a massive alcohol abuse problem in britain.

This one comes up every now and again.

I am against it. Where ther eis trouble on trains (or any othe rmode of transport for that matter), it is normally caused by alcohol that has been consumed elsewhere, such as at home, or in a noisy bar.

I see no need to punish the large number of people who like to have a drink on a long train journey, or a ferry etc, simply because of the obnoxious behaviour of a small minority.

In terms of improving the safety of staff and other passengers it's more likely to have the opposite effect, as trying to stop someone inebriated on the train from opening anothe rcan, or swigging from an alcopop, is likely to provoke more violence than it prevents in my experience.

Failed Unit

Established Member
That is an old story - but a bit of nonsense as well.

Travel on any train from any major city after 2200 on Friday or Saturday the problem is with the people that have already consumed significant amounts of alcohol. Not trains see alcohol at that time of night.

You do see people getting drunk on London - Edinburgh services but they don't seem to be as disruptive as the ones that get on the train drunk.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
An incredibly stupid idea, which will cause resentment, cost the economy millions and lead to an increase in drink driving.

Which clown thought this one up?

CC 72100

Established Member
As others have pointed out, I don't think this will really change anything. Most drunks that you find on trains get on in that state, rather than getting lashed during the journey, and as for those that do, I doubt that they get to such a bad state as those who board well intoxicated. This just penalises the people who may want to have a leisurely drink during the course of their journey.

What happens when you cross the border? Will there be an on-train announcement?

"Welcome to free England! You may crack open the beer!"

or

"Due to the fascist nationalists at Holyrood, you must stop drinking... NOW."

(The joke announcements are just that: jokes... but it's a serious point about cross-border trains! :) )

DownSouth

Established Member

or

(The joke announcements are just that: jokes... but it's a serious point about cross-border trains! :) )
Cross-border trains could be operated in the same manner as airlines flying to/from Saudi Arabia. Stop drinking when you cross the border on the way in, but the bar is open as soon as you take off on the way out. Even the announcements could be copied, just changing the country name and using a more appropriate word than airspace!

Leaving it a little ambiguous could be useful for maximising tourism revenue in England at the expense of Scotland, just announce it as "alcoholic drinks are banned in Scotland" and leave out the fact the ban only applies to trains :D

telstarbox

Established Member
This situation already occurs on the Valley Lines (Cardiff) where drinking is banned between certain stations but the same train goes through "dry" and "booze" sections.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Another load of interfering busy-bodies.

Here's an idea. Why not just enforce the existing laws against drunk and disorderly ? That way they'll be able to deal with those trouble makers who are already beered up before they get on.

Politicians trying to make a name for themselves.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

or

Although the headline refers to the country, the article makes it clear further down that they're actually referring to the next Scotrail franchise.

Presumably it'd work in the same way as on London Overground (i.e it doesn't).

PR1Berske

Established Member
Utter nonsense.

I have seen problems on the train from drunk people.......who were drunk beforehand.

Nobody has caused problems on a train through booze they have brought with them.

This is nanny state claptrap of the highest order and should be resisted by anyone who values their civil liberties.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Another load of interfering busy-bodies.

Here's an idea. Why not just enforce the existing laws against drunk and disorderly ? That way they'll be able to deal with those trouble makers who are already beered up before they get on.

Politicians trying to make a name for themselves.

Agreed. I don;t see why someone like my old boss, who had a couple of cans of cider on the way home to Swansea at the end of a very long day in London should be prevented from doing this because some lagered up idiots might get on the train somwehere down the line and cause trouble.

Although the headline refers to the country, the article makes it clear further down that they're actually referring to the next Scotrail franchise.

Presumably it'd work in the same way as on London Overground (i.e it doesn't).

Or on the Cardiff Valleys, as far as I could see on the afternoon of a Wales rugby match.

Utter nonsense.

I have seen problems on the train from drunk people.......who were drunk beforehand.

Nobody has caused problems on a train through booze they have brought with them.

This is nanny state claptrap of the highest order and should be resisted by anyone who values their civil liberties.

Indeed. My old boss wouldn't be able to have his cider, but the drunken idiots would still ge ton later and casue the same trouble, regardless of whether of whether alcohol was banned on the train or not.

SS4

Established Member
Agreed. I don;t see why someone like my old boss, who had a couple of cans of cider on the way home to Swansea at the end of a very long day in London should be prevented from doing this because some lagered up idiots might get on the train somwehere down the line and cause trouble.

Definitely, this is the perfect weather to drink a cider - no point wasting it by drinking all the cider (I shall be having a bottle with my dinner before too long :D)

As it happens on a scale of 1 to enforceable this scores 1

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Actually you are better letting people drink while travelling. While they are actually consuming alcohol they are less likely to be doing anything else (like bothering people around them).

PinzaC55

In theory this is a good idea - I once worked a train from Manny Airport to Middlesbrough which was full of Boro fans and the trolley dolly continued to serve them booze until she ran out of it. The BTP told me to stay in the back cab and the fans basically wreaked havoc with the train.
Who exactly is supposed to police the alcohol ban though? Certainly not the guard, and the BTP are usually reluctant to get involved.

Ticket Man

There better not be a bright spark in Westminster who thinks he can copy this to England. I'm no raging alcoholic but every now and then I like to unwind with a few tins on the way home after a bad shift.

Sound like a Scottish MP Trying to get them-self in the papers to me :roll:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Banning things doesn't solve the underlying problems. They can't even tackle the illegal drug problems or deal with the everyday criminals. Quite often it's people's perception of someone with a can of drink in their hand as opposed to any actual problem they have encountered. If any actual criminal acts are committed then the laws exist to combat them. Hardened drinkers/smokers and large groups/gangs will continue to do as they please. Any ban will only affect the law abiding citizen who would like a drink to while away their journey home after a long day.

myboysam

The fun Police are about again people. What about 99.9% of people who like to have a drink on the train and cause no bother whatsoever.

Go back to your garden shed and re-sort the 6mm 7mm and 8mm screws into their correct containers.

Clip

Established Member
It doesnt work on the underground and it doesnt work on LO so how on earth do they think it will work countrywide in Scotland?

And i bet the tour operators would really like this ban, they make some money from the buffet car booze i should imagine

Stupid people

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Actually you are better letting people drink while travelling. While they are actually consuming alcohol they are less likely to be doing anything else (like bothering people around them).

Good point.

In theory this is a good idea - I once worked a train from Manny Airport to Middlesbrough which was full of Boro fans and the trolley dolly continued to serve them booze until she ran out of it. The BTP told me to stay in the back cab and the fans basically wreaked havoc with the train.
Who exactly is supposed to police the alcohol ban though? Certainly not the guard, and the BTP are usually reluctant to get involved.

It's not even a good idea in theory, sorry! Your final comment is just one reason why!

Banning things doesn't solve the underlying problems. They can't even tackle the illegal drug problems or deal with the everyday criminals. Quite often it's people's perception of someone with a can of drink in their hand as opposed to any actual problem they have encountered. If any actual criminal acts are committed then the laws exist to combat them. Hardened drinkers/smokers and large groups/gangs will continue to do as they please. Any ban will only affect the law abiding citizen who would like a drink to while away their journey home after a long day.

Quite. As has been mentioned, drinking on trains is an easy method for politicians to ensure some publicity for themselves. Anyone who thinks it through, or who has any experience of where these sort of bans have already come in and failed, will soon work out what a ridiculous idea it is.

Nym

Established Member
Erm... you're not from Yorkshire, NYM (or were you once)? Not heard the slang 'to crimp one out'?...wouldn't want you to give the wrong impression.

I am from Yorkshire, but I mean this kind of thing you dirty bugger...

3769251.jpg

WelshBluebird

Established Member
This situation already occurs on the Valley Lines (Cardiff) where drinking is banned between certain stations but the same train goes through "dry" and "booze" sections.

Which isn't really well enforced at all.
Half the time it is just ignored, and most of the rest of the time people are told that they shouldn't have alcohol, but nothing is ever done about it. I have only seen something done once or twice, and that was two large security people taking a can off a kid who couldn't have been older than 16.
I am sure it is very similar wherever you have such rules.

cuccir

Established Member
The idea of a limited number of 'dry' trains is a good one - by focusing on certain problematic services, they can be more effectively policed, and the public seem to be more accepting (I think?). I'd say the only exception to that might be some of the East Coast Sat/Sun dry trains, presumably where there is a football match on - these can creep up on you somewhat, and can seem harsh on people travelling down on their weekend who want to enjoy a beer or two! Blanket bans, however, don't work.

It should be pointed out that Scotland has the strictest alcohol regulation in the UK. This does not mean that it has the lowest alcohol consumption. Unless you do something very radical (ie, £1< a unit minimum pricing) then you don't stop people consuming alcohol.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Crazy idea. Yes ban it on certain trains which are identified in advance, but a blanket ban is ridiculous.

I like to have drink and sandwich when on a long journey - its all part of the experience. Not essential, just nice to know you can if you want.

What will happen to Scottish dining excursions. No wine with your meal? Think it will put a lot of people of those if so.

Needs a sensible approach not a nationwide ban. Crazy! :roll: :roll:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
What will happen to Scottish dining excursions. No wine with your meal? Think it will put a lot of people of those if so.

Needs a sensible approach not a nationwide ban. Crazy! :roll: :roll:

As I've already pointed out noone is suggesting a nationwide ban - they're suggesting a ban on the Scotrail network to come in with the next franchise.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
As I've already pointed out noone is suggesting a nationwide ban - they're suggesting a ban on the Scotrail network to come in with the next franchise.

Still think it is a half baked plan!

Small minority spoiling it for everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.