• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alcohol not permitted on LNER?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It would appear that staff are using their common sense then.

Common sense or fear of retribution ?

Staff are frequently told the enforcement isn't their job.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
Common sense or fear of retribution ?

Staff are frequently told the enforcement isn't their job.
I would have thought that if a person is sitting quietly enjoying a can or two of lager then it is not a problem, and so the traincrew get on with their day.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I would of thought that if a person is sitting quietly enjoying a can or two of lager then it is not a problem, and so the traincrew get on with their day.

So anyone can just ignore the rules and restrictions in place and woe betide anyone who challenges them ? Maybe get to call them a jobsworth ?

What if a whole table of people were drinking and then got completely drunk and started trouble ? Was it therefore acceptable for the traincrew to turn a blind eye to the rules and allow it to happen by walking past and ignoring the first few cans ?

greyman42

Established Member
So anyone can just ignore the rules and restrictions in place and woe betide anyone who challenges them ? Maybe get to call them a jobsworth ?

What if a whole table of people were drinking and then got completely drunk and started trouble ? Was it therefore acceptable for the traincrew to turn a blind eye to the rules and allow it to happen by walking past and ignoring the first few cans ?
There are a few "ifs" in that scenario.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I would of thought that if a person is sitting quietly enjoying a can or two of lager then it is not a problem, and so the traincrew get on with their day.

Yep. There are 'if's all over the place.

IF a rule is not being enforced, then why have it ?
IF a rule is blindly ignored, what does that say about society ?
IF we support staff looking the other way, why have them ?

Part of the reason why small things are prevented is that they don't escalate into something larger. Stopping those couple of cans prevents the excess. It also acts as a deterent for others. If that guy can have a couple of fosters, so can I etc.

I've been to plenty of places where alcohol hasn't been permitted. No sure why a dry train is suddenly any different and that I have any right to suddenly crack open a cold one and the stafff member should just walk on by and leave me alone.

38Cto15E

LNER have stated on Facebook that there are no plans to re-introduce alcohol on their trains, do passengers lock themselves in the toilets for a quick nip on long journeys? :)

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
LNER have stated on Facebook that there are no plans to re-introduce alcohol on their trains, do passengers lock themselves in the toilets for a quick nip on long journeys? :)
Presumably though there is a difference between them reintroducing it as in selling/providing it and simply reversing the ban? Wouldn’t be popular with some on such a long journey if it wasn’t permitted.

westv

Established Member
No plans? Surely they should have a plan? If this or that happens we will look to start again? Or similar?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
No plans? Surely they should have a plan? If this or that happens we will look to start again? Or similar?

"No current plans" does not mean the same thing as "No plans to do so, ever".

Given Covid is going to be with us for some while, that lack of plans is hardly surprising, when alcohol could easily be re-permitted / re-stocked very quickly when appropriate.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
"No current plans" does not mean the same thing as "No plans to do so, ever".

Given Covid is going to be with us for some while, that lack of plans is hardly surprising, when alcohol could easily be re-permitted / re-stocked very quickly when appropriate.

I wouldn't put money on that. I would bet that it's being noticed how much money is being saved on policing and public health by the considerable reduction in "on-licence" sales and consumption.

crablab

Problem is, the people that obey the no alcohol rules are less likely to be the ones that cause problems as a result of overconsumption of it.

So lots of people that would like to have small glass of dry white wine with their 1st class meal now can't (and being responsible, don't), whilst the party of 10 drunk football fans on their way back home continue sloshing down the lager and terrifying Coach B.

(I've never drunk alcohol on a train, so I'm not impacted by this directly. But I do dislike the tendency towards the puritanical. Prohibition does not work.)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I wouldn't put money on that. I would bet that it's being noticed how much money is being saved on policing and public health by the considerable reduction in "on-licence" sales and consumption.

The vast majority of which will be associated with pubs and bars.

For the BTP, it won't save anything given how stretched they are anyway.

"Problem" trains can always still be designated as Dry Trains.

johntea

Established Member
Following the measures to close down pubs at 10pm I wonder if more TOCs will start to look at dry trains (particularly after 10pm!) to avoid an extended party...

greyman42

Established Member
Following the measures to close down pubs at 10pm I wonder if more TOCs will start to look at dry trains (particularly after 10pm!) to avoid an extended party...
I would of thought it likely.

FQTV

As far as I can see, the dry policy has been thrown overboard by LNER, and whilst there’s still no alcohol for sale in the Café Bar, and no complimentary alcohol in First Class, their Unilateral Declaration of Puritanicalism has otherwise been ditched.

In other news, their other uniquely absurd policy of mandating reservations but turning off the reservation indicators on board also appears to have been dumped, as far as the latter is concerned.

One can only assume that whoever at LNER had thought that THAT was any kind of rational idea was tripping so psychedelically at the time that banning booze was just part of their remorseful comedown.

Anyhow, things finally appear to be a mite more civilised now.

FQTV

Hurrah, I may deign to book a journey with them now !

I may have spoken too soon regarding the reservations, I’m afraid. Neither LNER service that I’ve been on today has had the onboard reservation system activated.

route101

Established Member
I may have spoken too soon regarding the reservations, I’m afraid. Neither LNER service that I’ve been on today has had the onboard reservation system activated.

They have been switched off.

crablab

It's a bit of pot luck. Earlier in the lockdown they were off consistently, they've now been on for some services.

I was on a long distance service where they were on to start with, and at a change of guard they were switched off!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Alcohol was being served in 1st class on Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.