• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alcoholic Drinks on Charter Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

I have recently had tickets for two main line steam charter trips, with different operators, with the usual travel notes/tips etc, both firms said they ask passengers not to bring/consume their own alcoholic drinks and a corkage charge may be levied.

I wonder why this is happening now. I have been going on these trips for years and it has never been an issue before. I normally take a couple of those small bottles of wine to have on the way back in the afternoon/evenings. I have seen many other passengers bringing their own cans of beer or large bottles of wine/sparkling wine etc. I was wondering if it is a ploy to make passengers buy drinks from the onboard buffet cars? Seems a bit strange. especially as some of these charter fares are quite expensive now too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
In a way, I think it's perfectly reasonable for tour companies to request that people buy drinks on board as it helps towards the cost of the tour. A couple of the companies I use ask this and I'm happy to oblige, particularly as their fares aren't outrageous compared to some (although it's not a rule and they don't charge corkage).

However I often take a couple of beers extra in case they run out as sometimes happens, particularly when the "let's start boozing at eight o'clock in the morning" brigade are on board.

Last edited:

Spartacus

Established Member
I'm just the same, I'm happy to buy a few drinks on board but always take some of my own as well just in case their stock either runs out or what they have isn't to my liking.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good morning,

I have recently had tickets for two main line steam charter trips, with different operators, with the usual travel notes/tips etc, both firms said they ask passengers not to bring/consume their own alcoholic drinks and a corkage charge may be levied.

I wonder why this is happening now. I have been going on these trips for years and it has never been an issue before. I normally take a couple of those small bottles of wine to have on the way back in the afternoon/evenings. I have seen many other passengers bringing their own cans of beer or large bottles of wine/sparkling wine etc. I was wondering if it is a ploy to make passengers buy drinks from the onboard buffet cars? Seems a bit strange. especially as some of these charter fares are quite expensive now too.

Is this in standard class or first or dining?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is this in standard class or first or dining?

Yes I was wondering that. If it's dining then that makes sense as they follow restaurant practice and provide table service for drinks. But in standard class or non-dining first it would seem very odd!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes I was wondering that. If it's dining then that makes sense as they follow restaurant practice and provide table service for drinks. But in standard class or non-dining first it would seem very odd!

It is standard class and I dont think the catering is done by the tour/train operator.

Rover

Good morning,

Can you name the operators please?

AY1975

Established Member
Maybe slightly off topic, but some German charter train operators' websites actually ask you to refrain from bringing any of your own food or drink of any description, not just alcohol, precisely because sales of food and drink on board help towards the cost of running the tour and maintaining the rolling stock.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I've only known this to apply in premier dining on charters, not in standard or first class.

xotGD

Established Member
Punters could simply inject oranges with vodka to overcome any booze ban.

GM078

Try the RPSI trips!

Only operator (or at least was) in the world to offer draught Guinness!

I think it's a fair enough rule tbh, operators (particularly preservation ones) need to make ends meet, having being involved in the operation of railtours at committee level you'd be surprised just how much of the overall revenue can come from ancillaries like food and drink.

Graham H

With tours starting again after CV19 I wondered if this question still has no answer ? No names but I wanted to book 6 people in full dining but when I was told 2 would be seated with strangers on another table for 4 rather than the logical adjacent table for 2 if we didnt pay the table for 2 supplement I declined to spend well over 4 figures for the pleasure. Instead I simply booked 2 tables for 4 in standard and spent a very small part of the approx 800 quid I just saved on food and wine for the journey from the local supermarket. Best idea I ever had, a mobile picnic in effect. I have even heard reports of intrepid enthusiasts having take-aways dropped off at a suitable calling point...very enterprising. I would agree that as with any restaurant service you wouldnt take food and drink if booked into a dining carriage but for your average Joe with the kids in standard I see no reason why you cant take food and drink especially as the mark up for basics like crisps and coke (other sweet sickly fluids are available !) can be daunting. I cant see any conditions on the sites I just looked at (Pathfinder and UKRailtours) so are any railtour companies specifically stating no personal food/wine can be consumed in ANY carriage now ?

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
I've only known this to apply in premier dining on charters, not in standard or first class.
Same here, I've just been looking at some operators FAQ, only mentions premier dining.
I wonder if it is a profit making thing, but it states catering is by a 3rd party and if that was in their small-print I wouldn't be giving them the contract even if I did get a cut.
May also encourage pre-loading too.
I remember a railtour being delayed at Bolton (?) at 8.30am waiting for BTP to throw a drunk off. It might be the same company!!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Interesting to see this topic I raised 3 years ago just come up again. Since posting this, I have been on several rail charters, steam and diesel, with several different companies and the taking onboard of Food and Drinks, Alcoholic and Non Alcoholic has not been a problem. I hope to resume going on rail charters again when they are able to start again in the south east. Take care everyone, stay safe.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.