• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aldermaston Bridge removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Chaos

Does anyone have a clue what's going on round Aldermaston?

The road bridges at both ends of the station were completely removed over Easter to be replaced with green footbridges (so no cars can go from one side to the other without a diversion).

I also noticed these green footbridges erected at another bridge but the road bridge is still intact.

Anyone know what's going on? I thought it might be some sort of pre-electrification work or something but no-one I have asked seems to know what they are doing.

Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John55

It is definitely being reported locally as advance electrification work.

Network Rail have been getting grief about not incorporating additional improvements as part of the work, and have said it is too late.

Eg here: http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/anger-over-padworth-area-bridge-works

I notice in the photograph that the road authority has not bothered to maintain the width of the pavement for pedestrians by allowing vegetation to encroach.

NR presumably have been in serious discussion with the road authority (County Council?) for a couple of years over this work and they weren't bothered to do anything different either.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
NR presumably have been in serious discussion with the road authority (County Council?) for a couple of years over this work and they weren't bothered to do anything different either.

I suspect the local authority would have had some kind of an opportunity to increase the scope - IIRC it was common practice on the SWML W10 gauge enhancement work, I remember it being reported that the Andover Rd bridge in Winchester was significantly more than a like for like job, as the pavements are now much wider and visibility is much better.

Easier to publicly blame NR than admit to taking the cheapest option perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.