• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aldershot to Aldgate East / Cheapest Travel & Excess Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

On Monday, I need to get from Aldershot [AHT] (or Ash Vale [AHV], preferably) to Aldgate East, to arrive around 2pm. No railcard held. My return will be the same day, not sure whether it will be before or after 7pm yet.

As far as I can work out, the cheapest would be to buy a Super Off Peak from AHT (or AHV) to London Terminals for £18.70 (or £18.00), then 2x contactless tube journeys at £2.40 each. Total £23.50.

If I finish before 7pm, I guess I could excess the ticket to Off Peak at Waterloo. How would this be calculated? 50% of the difference, or would I be paying the full price of the difference? I never remember exactly how this is worked out.

Can anyone think of any way of doing this journey cheaper? I might do a bus "hopper" for £1.50 on the way back, since time is not essential for the return journey.

I'm not currently a regular train traveller, so buying a Network Railcard or 26-30 Railcard isn't economical at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The excess fare will be the full difference.

Slightly cheaper fare to Clapham Junction if you can stomach a bus journey the rest of the way. The 344 bus will take you all the way between Clapham Junction and Liverpool Street. You can also make use of the hopper fare if you don't want to walk from Liverpool Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.