• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aldwych Tours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigVince76

Hi, on Sunday I am going on one of the tours of Aldwych organised by the transport museum. Has anyone else been on one of these? Is it any good? Do you just see the bits abandoned in 1994 or do you get to see the older bits too? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
The areas you speak of are in an accessible state, but there are the never used areas of track that may not be accessible on public tours.

paul332

Hi, on Sunday I am going on one of the tours of Aldwych organised by the transport museum. Has anyone else been on one of these? Is it any good? Do you just see the bits abandoned in 1994 or do you get to see the older bits too? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

I went 2 weeks ago - brilliant. You get to see the platform and passages closed in 1923, plus some parts that were half-completed in anticipation of much greater usage and have only just been made safe for public access. All very exhilarating.

No train though. That's shuffled off to Holborn, lurking in the closed platform behind locked doors.

announcements

You get to see all amber and blue areas shown on the following map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Aldwych_tube_station_plan.svg

That is except for the blue lift landing, which is bricked off from the other blue areas and can only be accessed by means of a bridge over the middle lift shaft (gated off). In addition you get to see all of the ticket hall level including the two lifts.

Paul -- the platform you're referring to actually closed in 1917, not 1923.

BigVince76

Thanks for the info, it was a very interesting tour. The volunteer guides were very good and knowledgeable, although the LTM staff were a bit of a pain because they were very keen to move people on, even if the guide was still talking!

If they do them again I highly recommend doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.