• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alert driver - HT wrong roaded at Gilberdyke

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac

This afternoons Hull trains got the wrong signal at Gilberdyke should be sent via Selby but signalman routed via Goole. Driver stopped and had signal changed this is second time I have seen this happen there with Hull trains so how many times is this happening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
At least twice? It's not an unusual occurrence (generally, not just Gilberdyke), and can happen for all sorts of reasons: schedule errors, wrongly described trains or genuine oopsies. Hardly the end of the world?

mac

Maybe not the end of the world but what would have happened if the driver had not noticed, how fast could he of taken the bend northern never go as fast round as hull trains going straight on

Tomnick

Established Member
He'd have had the distant at caution, so would have been preparing to stop anyway.

Class2ldn

If the bend has a speed restriction then the signaller would have checked the train down anyway so no worries about going too fast

Tomnick

Established Member
No need to bring them right down to the junction signal at danger if it's the booked route though (or you thought it was the booked route...) - the distant being on is sufficient, so I wouldn't be surprised if the junction signal was cleared well before the train arrived.

455driver

Veteran Member
And where they are using computers, those can make mistakes.

Automatic Route Setting Equipment isnt called that for no reason, because an A R S E is what it makes of the job.

Edit-

Luckily I have never had a reported wrong route! ;)

455driver

Veteran Member
Or as I approached W211 signal which was showing a green.
Me-
"driver of 2D37 en route to EPSOM", <pause for a few seconds, see signal drop back> "I thought I saw something in the 4 foot but it was only a hedgehog so no problem, sorry to trouble you"

Signaller-
"Thats okay drive thanks for the call"

Me-
"No problem mate, driver out"

Not that that has happened of course! ;)
Need to know basis, clear understanding etc. :lol:

LBSCR Times

Or as I approached W211 signal which was showing a green.
Me-
"driver of 2D37 en route to EPSOM", <pause for a few seconds, see signal drop back> "I thought I saw something in the 4 foot but it was only a hedgehog so no problem, sorry to trouble you"

Signaller-
"Thats okay drive thanks for the call"

Me-
"No problem mate, driver out"

Not that that has happened of course! ;)
Need to know basis, clear understanding etc. :lol:

Trust delay......

Signaller knows of no reason, TOC to explain.....

Tomnick

Established Member
Hopefully wouldn't generate sufficient delay to flag it up for investigation, if everyone's on the ball! In most areas, CCF would probably give the game away if it was looked into. In the meantime, the efforts of the likes of 455driver are very much appreciated ;) .

455driver

Veteran Member
Trust delay......

Signaller knows of no reason, TOC to explain.....

What delay?

I contacted him before I got to the signal, actually just past what should have been the double yellow so no delay, there is no point stopping at (what should be) the red and then contacting the signaller as that would cause a delay. :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In the meantime, the efforts of the likes of 455driver are very much appreciated ;) .

Pleasure at least somebody loves me! ;)

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Technically speaking, does the procedure for having a signal set back in front of train require verbal confirmation from the driver that it is safe to do so?

A-driver

Established Member
Maybe not the end of the world but what would have happened if the driver had not noticed, how fast could he of taken the bend northern never go as fast round as hull trains going straight on

Oh come on! Over-reaction!

It dosnt really work like that-there are safe guards in place to stop that kind of thing happening. If there is that much difference in speed then the signal would be held at red or use flashing signals of approach to give plenty of warning.

Wrong routing is fairly common, signalers have a high workload and there are numerous reasons why a minor mistake like that can be made. Drivers taking wrong routes is very rare however as whilst the signaller is directing dozens of trains at once we are only concentrating on driving one so will pick up on such things.

But to put this one to bed, a wrong route, weather taken by the driver or not, is not a safety issue in any way. If a wrong route was taken and led to a speed being broken then the issues leading to that would be far more than just a wrong route being set.

Nippy

There are a few times when a wrong route could become a safety issue, one is an electric train routed into an isolation. This would have the effect of livening up the dead section and putting anyone working on it at risk. Of course, if the line is earthed correctly the risk is reduced. How do I know? I did it by mistake about 18 years ago during SLW. Luckily I realised as soon as I had spoken to the Pilotman and called them back to stop them.

mac

Oh come on! Over-reaction!

It dosnt really work like that-there are safe guards in place to stop that kind of thing happening. If there is that much difference in speed then the signal would be held at red or use flashing signals of approach to give plenty of warning.

Wrong routing is fairly common, signalers have a high workload and there are numerous reasons why a minor mistake like that can be made. Drivers taking wrong routes is very rare however as whilst the signaller is directing dozens of trains at once we are only concentrating on driving one so will pick up on such things.

But to put this one to bed, a wrong route, weather taken by the driver or not, is not a safety issue in any way. If a wrong route was taken and led to a speed being broken then the issues leading to that would be far more than just a wrong route being set.

Calm down I was only asking
Which signals would be held at red which flashing signals, Gilberdyke is a small village on what I think is the longest straight piece of track in the country. It has old fashioned signal boxes maybe every mile working a crossing and a couple of signals, Gilberdyke is one of the bigger ones in that it has maybe six signals and a set of points but no crossing. Trains from Hull go turn left for Doncaster or go straight on for Selby.
I don't know if he has a high workload or not with maybe 8 trains per hour but he never looks busy when sitting out in the sun.

Lockwood

I was told of an incident in South London where a driver accepted a wrong route (Either SET being routed on to LO, or LO routed on to SET, IIRC), realised the mistake and stopped, as he'd not signed the route.
Luckily, one of the passengers was a driver for the other company that had signed the route, but not the traction.
The solution here was simply to let the original driver drive with the other driver up front as a pilotman.

It's nice when everything resolves itself nicely.

I've also heard of a 455 being given a wrong route by Wimbledon on the shared tracks, happily carrying on, until he realised that he'd entered an LU station!
Something makes me think that there was an invitation to a meeting after that one, where the driver would have to provide their own tea and biscuits?

Tomnick

Established Member
Which signals would be held at red which flashing signals, Gilberdyke is a small village on what I think is the longest straight piece of track in the country. It has old fashioned signal boxes maybe every mile working a crossing and a couple of signals, Gilberdyke is one of the bigger ones in that it has maybe six signals and a set of points but no crossing. Trains from Hull go turn left for Doncaster or go straight on for Selby.
I don't know if he has a high workload or not with maybe 8 trains per hour but he never looks busy when sitting out in the sun.
Probably no signals held at danger and certainly no signals flashing, just the distant maintained at caution...as I said. Gilberdyke's a fairly busy box, not that it makes any difference if he does get chance to sit in the sun occasionally. Simple case of thinking that it was a Sheffield train - they were running in the opposite order to normal.

A-driver

Established Member

It will still have something set up to prevent a wrong routing resulting in overspeeding. But it's down to the driver to anticipate the junction approaching and be prepared to run at the lowest speed depending on the routing that is set. We don't drive blind assuming all roads are set, when approaching a junction we check the aspect and set speed accordingly. And a signaller wrong reading a train is a very easy mistake to make but as is ya, certainly not the end of the world and not dangerous. At worst it may cause a 3-4 min delay.

Why do you visit this forum as it seems all you bother to do is make stupid snide comments such as "he never looks busy when sitting out in the sun"? It's a comment that doesn't need to be made and just shows that your main agenda here is to attack rail staff. I don't think I have seen a constructive or useful post from you on here before, just staff bashing over exaggerated and often incorrect posts.

It's fine to ask questions on here but making remarks like that is nothing short of trolling I'm afraid. If you had ended the above post a sentence earlier then that would be fine as it's a sensible post but continuing it the way you have is just trolling-you are staff bashing there for absolutely no reason hinting that the signaller is lazy and just spends all day lying out in the sun being paid to do so and then making mistakes. Grow up, have a go at only commenting on things you know to be true or asking questions and leave this stupid anti rail staff attitude behind as it just leads to these threads descending into arguments and being locked. I honestly don't know what you have against rail staff but in both your posts on this thread alone so far you have tried to attack staff for no reason with no factual information behind either post. That is trolling.

455driver

Veteran Member
all you bother to do is make stupid snide comments such as "he never looks busy when sitting out in the sun"?

The same could be said of the Pway, they are always stood to the side of the track doing nothing when I drive past them, thankfully. ;)

At a junction there will be a sequence of signals-
If taking the main route the sequence will be green, green, green, green, junction.

If taking the diverging route at a high speed junction it might be green, flashing double yellow, flashing single yellow, yellow with feather (signal might step up on approach), junction.

If taking the diverging route at a low speed junction it might be green, double yellow, single yellow, red (which will then clear with the feather lit), junction.

In either case if you are booked to take the diverging route but you get a green when you should get a double yellow (flashing or not) then your route knowledge will tell you the route is set wrong, that is the time to put the brake in and call the signaller, not when you stop at the junction signal.

there is no way a low speed junction from a high speed route will have all green signals on approach.

Tomnick

Established Member
Bear in mind that we're talking about a mechanical box with a semaphore junction signal (and somewhere to sunbathe)...so the only control will normally be the distant at caution. Just don't want to mislead 'mac' further than he's already misled himself ;)

455driver

Veteran Member
At some mechanical boxes (its been a while since I have visited one) when the junction is set for the low speed route the distant cannot be cleared anyway so still not a 'speeding round the corner' problem.

Tomnick

Established Member
Yes, my point (somewhere over the last couple of pages) exactly - the distant will always be maintained at caution for the lower speed route (unless a splitting distant is provided...not sure if there are any remaining that read to a semaphore junction signal) providing that control. Nowt worth 'mac' getting upset about ;) .

A-driver

Established Member
Yes, my point (somewhere over the last couple of pages) exactly - the distant will always be maintained at caution for the lower speed route (unless a splitting distant is provided...not sure if there are any remaining that read to a semaphore junction signal) providing that control. Nowt worth 'mac' getting upset about ;) .

Indeed, so short of a driver misreading a signal there is very little chance of a wrong route posing any real danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.