• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alex's trip reports (ft. Least Used in Scotland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexf380

Established Member
Don't be sorry at all, I'm really interested in that era of railways. I was born but was too young to pay any attention so I like reading about it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexf380

Established Member
Right then. Let's get started, shall we?

The good thing is, it would appear, that after nearly a year after my last post in this thread nothing has really changed in this sector of the forum. Yes, a few names have stopped posting but equally, a couple of newbies have joined us. And to you, I say welcome!

As I'm sure most of us in this hobby have experienced at some point in our lives, life can sometimes get in the way of the railway, and I am no exception. That said, as I approach the ripe old age of 22, a return is very much on the cards. A couple of weeks ago I bit the bullet and spend a morning out with the intention of sampling the many winning 365s that have come north, and one of ScotRail's new Class 385 units. Here's what hapened.

Hopping on the Hitachi bandwagon.
Friday 24th August 2018

Although this wasn't my first bashing trip of the year, it was to be my first since April when, using a Spirit of Scotland Travelpass, I whittled down my 314 requirements to 2 and conquered all the shacks on the Highland Main Line. Although I had an amazing time, I was still trying to hide what I was doing from my friends at the time. Thus, no trip report at the time. I have since left college and fallen out of touch with those people, and now spend my days with people who couldn't care less about what I'm interested in.

Enough about me, and to the trains we go. It's the 08:42 from Newcraighall that is taking me into Edinburgh today, and very low mileage 170395 is welcome on this journey as it pushes the unit within touching distance of the 10 mile club. A Haymarket leap will probably do it. Pret is visited upon arrival at Waverley, providing some much needed caffeine. I purchase an Edinburgh Days out ticket for this trip, which gives two days' off peak travel as far as Falkirk High on the E-G line (Kirkcaldy, Stirling and North Berwick being the other boundaries).

As it was off-peak only, I had to wait until the 09:15 departure before my ticket was valid. With no questions being asked by the gateline staff (surprise surprise it doesn't work the barriers) I headed over to the arriving unit, and boarded 380109 to give it a mileage boost to Falkirk High.

Here, almost immediately, things started to implode. It is well documented on this forum that the reliability of the 365 units is less than par, and today it appeared there would be no exceptions. My intended train, the 09:52, had sat down just past Croy. This meant that nothing was getting past it any time soon. Two pairs of 365s passed in the opposite direction (that's 4 winning units right there) before I went to the ticket office and asked about the best walking route to Falkirk Grahamston station. I was just about to start walking with a local who knew the way when the unit with the failure rolled into the station and disgorged its passengers. No chance was I getting those winners today then! Our friendly ticket office clerk then announced that the next train was a matter of minutes away, so I decided to stay put.

I'm glad I did as it turned out to be another pair of Networkers. 365537+365529 were the units working the delayed 10:05 (the former was dud from a norm trip through to Glasgow back in June) that took me to Linlithgow in an attempt to regain control of my plan. I figured I had a ten minute wait here for my unit forward to then pick up the return of those Networkers I saw earlier. 170393 did the honours for the 6 minute run to Polmont.

I had a seat in the ticket office-come-waiting room on the Edinburgh bound platform as it had started raining by this point. The first pair of winners screamed through non-stop before 365519+365509 arrived on the delayed 11:09 to take me all the way to Haymarket, where I faced another delay. I had anticipated a +4 connection here onto the next set out, however there must have been some sort of problem at Waverley as 15 minutes later than expected 365521+365525 rolled in on the delayed 11:49 stopping service. I took these to Linlithgow as I had worked out the diagram of the 385 pair, and the delay to the previous train meant I had just a little over 20 minutes to wait on 385003+385104, which I could only afford to take to Polmont as time was working against me today.

My opinion of these units in one word? Functional. They sure can shift when leaving a station, and at peak times I've seen photos of them coping with the demands, but the door open chimes and the new auto-announcer are a tad grating. No complaints yet about the choice of seat, though!

A wet Polmont (announced incorrectly as Pole-mOnt) was my destination, and I grabbed a few photos before heading over to find
170454 on the next Dunblane to Edinburgh service. I take this to Edinburgh Park, in order to fall back onto an ex-Helensburgh service. However, much to my disappointment, it is announced as being three coaches only. 334020 does indeed arrive solo and is very well loaded, so I opt to stand in the doorway for the short run to Edinburgh Waverley.

I have half an hour here to grab a bite to eat before meandering over to the very far end of platform 4 for the 14:25 Tweedbank service, which sees "refreshed" 158727 taken back to Newcraighall to pick up the car, edging closer to hitting the 100 mile mark in the process.

The only thing to add in conclusion is; my god have I missed this!

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Glad you've found your way back into the game. Funny how we base decisions on things we do on how people who are probably of little importance to us may react. I was exactly the same during my school years, but I suppose it's all part of growing up. As we grow up we just care less about what certain people think :E

Good return outing for you though, with plenty of winners, despite the early problems. Look forward to more reports in the future

alexf380

Established Member
365512? I thought Scotland had only odd numbered examples?

Anyhow welcome back :)
Alas, my proof reading skills aren't the best. Meant to be 521, duly corrected!

Glad you've found your way back into the game. Funny how we base decisions on things we do on how people who are probably of little importance to us may react. I was exactly the same during my school years, but I suppose it's all part of growing up. As we grow up we just care less about what certain people think :E

Good return outing for you though, with plenty of winners, despite the early problems. Look forward to more reports in the future
Thanks my friend, and to you!

Skymonster

Established Member
Interesting report... I'm still trying to get my head around all these Jockrail units and stations - I've been to Scotland very regularly in the past and done Glasgow-East Kilbride returns on an almost daily basis (more than ten years ago, in a period when I wasn't interested) but what happens in your country now is a bit of a mystery. I must check it out again one day.

ash39

Established Member
Welcome back Alex, looking forward to the next one. I've still got so much to cover north of the border so hopefully I can nick some ideas too!

Though like yourself, I too am down to just 2 314's to get. Time running out though...

Established Member
Good read Alex, welcome back.
As the betting firms say, when the fun stops, STOP. I rapped in for almost a decade, albeit in a fit of pique cos the 158s replaced 47s on the Liverpool turns. However gigs, beer and the opposite sex became more alluring, than standing on my local, seeing very few loco hauled turns, relentless horrid screams of HSTs and relentless squealing of 142s and 143s, made my decision even easier.

I've gotta say, I'm back in love with the hobby nowadays, just work and parental responsibilities, take up the majority of my time. I'm fortunate that a 100yds away, the ECML is at the top.of the street. Which, with the help of RTT, keeps me at least more in the loop.

Seems weird when you read about the smileys being in Scotland. No doubt its added a something new to the Scottish Rail scene.

Welcome back Alex, looking forward to the next one. I've still got so much to cover north of the border so hopefully I can nick some ideas too!

Though like yourself, I too am down to just 2 314's to get. Time running out though...

314207, 314212 and 314213 have been withdrawn. :(

alexf380

Established Member
Alex's Dusk Endeavour
Friday 21st September 2018

As I'm sure many of you know, the first three Class 314 units were withdrawn from service a couple of weeks ago, announced to us by Scotrail's twitter feed. The end of an era it may be, but I still had to catch up with two members of the class in order to clear them for haulage. The situation took a dramatic turn for the worse when I found out that one of the three units being withdrawn was one of my last two! Queue a dash over to Glasgow in an attempt to find it.

Since the news broke so late in the day, it wasn't until the evening peak had started that I decided to make my way over to Glasgow. I knew that I'd miss the North Berwick train of choice, so I hurried over to Newcraighall station to catch the 17:42 ex Tweedbank which, rather fortuitously, was formed of 170405, one of few winning SR 170s for me. I sat in the declassified first class section for the eleven minute journey to Edinburgh, before making a beeline for platform 11 and the 18:00 to Glasgow Queen Street. 380113+380016 formed this service, and I need this luck to continue tonight!

After a three minute late departure and a very uneventful journey (apart from the trolley having no Sprite left) we arrived into Queen St bang on time. I swing by the makeshift ticket office across the street to buy my roundabout ticket for the evening on they way over to Central station.

Immediately I spy the other of my 314 wants, no.206, working out to Newton. I check RTT and figure out its next moves before joining 380101 for a fast run out to Paisley Gilmour Street. My main reasoning for this was to view Shields Depot, as gen had been floating around that the three withdrawn units were on show on one of the depot roads, however this proved to not be the case. All I could see of any interest to me was 365523 having been heavily graffiti'd. This gave me hope that they were still running until the end of service, as it hadn't actually been confirmed that they'd been retired yet.

Thankfully I wasn't on board 380101 for long as it was quite busy, even in the front coach, so it was nice to leave it and head over to the next service on the Inverclyde lines. The monitor promised us three coaches, however 380002 was the culprit, and after stopping at the local stations on the way, it terminated at Glasgow Central. Now, though, I had to head over to platform 10 as it was time to get within 1 of completing the class. 314206 had returned and was preparing to run round the Cathcart Circle. I took this to Mount Florida, as I could see the inner circle service was running a few minutes late. It turned out to be a dud 318 so I hung about for the follkowing Neilston-bound service.

The 20:17 service was formed of 320306, much to my dismay/surprise. However it was nice to see what they've done for the "refresh" on the interior of these units. I can confirm it is no more than that what they have done to the ex-321s. I elect not to take a seat as I'm only travelling one stop to Cathcart, as there are a few services crossing here that I want to observe. The only issue being that the waiting room is closed at this time of night and it's getting windy.

Eventually, however, time is beginning to play against me, and the pairing of 314203+314216 take me back to Glasgow Central. I was really scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of possible moves here, and with me really not wanting to resort to the last train home, I call it a night and head to Burger King.

Just as I'm leaving said establishment, an announcement for the 21:05 XC to Edinburgh is made and it catches my attention for some reason. Then it clicks, that's the one that's booked to go round the Edinburgh Suburban line. I'll take that consolation prize thank you very much, and I climb aboard 220001. We pass Edinburgh Sleeper empties just before Carstairs, which I think is a tad peculiar. I keep an eye on it as we trundle on through the night as I want a photo of it at Waverley. (They also make an ace sound.) As we approach Slateford I feel us swing to the right and take the rare track round past Morningside, Cameron Toll, Niddrie, all places I'm used to passing through by car but never before by train. We arrive into Edinburgh about 10 late, and there's still no sign of the sleeper! Finally, I hear and then see 92028 arriving.

Finally, it's over to 158728+158782 on the 22:54 Tweedbank home. Not the evening I had hoped for, and it is incredibly galling to miss out on clearing a class by just one member. But, that's the game we play. It'd be boring if it was easy!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Bad news on missing out on clearing the 314s outright, but a good little spin across to Glasgow with a couple more units in the bag

Mills444

Sounds like a nice couple of hours on the rails. Do you know what they are replacing the PEP's with ?

alexf380

Established Member
On the inner city diagrams I believe it'll be a mix of 318/320s and 380s, and the Inverclyde services will be 380s, having themselves being replaces from Edinburgh services by the new 385s.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Although I can't believe you needed the Edinburgh Sub route from Slateford :)

Isn't there a plan that some of the 385s will be used some of the inner city diagrams?

Established Member
Welcome back.
Regarding 314s, I've read today that 314207 & 314213 have been reinstated as a result of the latest 385 problems.

alexf380

Established Member
Treated like Royalty.
Saturday 13th October 2018

The annual Tyne Valley drags are a must on my and I'm sure many others' calendars, and having had good fortune with last years' run, scoring two or three winners, I thought I'd try my hand again this year. One big difference was the times of the class 91 sets being dragged across, and how there was an early morning departure from Edinburgh booked to be Electric, meaning I could do the runs both ways with a 91 north of Carlisle. I just had to find something to fill the time in Newcastle in between runs. The Northern strike put paid to a few ideas but I made something up on the day.

I started with a drive to Newcraighall for the 07:43 to Edinburgh, as the North Berwick line was buses all day. I watched a 380 leave Millerhill yard before 158789 rolled in. Once in Edinburgh, breakfast was saught from Costa before I saw that my train, the once a day Glasgow Central to King's Cross was arriving. I elect not to view the loco here, as I intended to use the twenty or so minutes at Carlisle as a photoshoot, and I'll get the number then.

Scotrail 158789 by Alex Fleming, on Flickr

Coach D is where my booked seat was, and it turned out that most of the train's reservations were in coach D, so I moved and found an empty pair in E. Still not quite used to passing through Haymarket non-stop, we head south through the rain to reach the border city a few minutes early! In fact, we switched between early and on time for much of the run down the WCML. It was here that I discover it was mega dud 91106 that was hauling us, now sitting on a nice 700 odd miles. However something to smile about was 67006 that was drawing up. The Royal train liveried skip was the seventh member of the class to receive the red pen treatment from me as she took us at what seemed like walking pace across through places such as Hexham and MetroCentre to reach Newcastle, where I alighted.

DB Cargo 67006 by Alex Fleming, on Flickr

Another coffee was sourced as I awaited my next move to show. I had decided that a spot of shack scratching was the order of the day and I knew of two wants that were easily gettable, so I made my way over to platform 1 to find 156464 awaiting the 12:20 Morpeth service. This one was dud, but only from a fun from Langho to Clitheroe last year so the milage will do it a world of good. I alight at the first of today's shack scores, Cramlington, and am immediately faced with a half hour wait.

No bother, as the rain was letting up by this point. The platform filled quite reasonably as I waited for the same unit to return from Morpeth and deposit me at the very bleak looking Manors. I didn't realise it was in the middle of a business park! Just a short walk away is Manors Metro station, and I dutifully bought a ticket for my first ever ride on the T&W Metro. First impressions? It's ok, but the door open sound is the same continuous beep on our Scottish 320s, so I imagine that gets annoying with such frequent stations. However, in no time at all I was back at Newcastle Central.

A quick PNB is had, and as I'm leaving the lavatories I notice a red 67 has appeared in the Thunderbird siding, so I go and investigate. Turns out, 67028 had just arrived from Doncaster and had been parked in front of 67006, so myself and a couple of others that had gathered at the end of the platform thought this was going to work the next drag. Did it? No. Unfortunately. That would just have been too good, two for the price of one!

DB Cargo 67028 by Alex Fleming, on Flickr

I get jump scared by the arrival of mega dud 91114, thinking that it would be my chariot out of here, but as it transpired it was just a very late running terminating service. It was actually a winning loco that produced, so happy days! 67006 is attached to the DVT end and off we go once again for a very uneventful, wet journey over to Carlisle where we have twenty more minutes to wait. I discover that the West Coast was in meltdown at this point, so I'm glad I'm not heading to Glasgow. 91113 is then allowed to pan-up and she roars into life as we leave Carlisle heading homeward bound.

The obligatory wait for a path at Haymarket is endured and we roll into platform 8 bang on time. All that remains is for a quick snap before heading across to platform 2 and the awaiting 17:54 Tweedbank, tonight in the hands of 158712. I was quietly hoping for 704 to produce tonight to end the day on a high but no such luck.

The question that remains, though, is with the IEPs getting ever closer to introduction, will these drags return next year?

alexf380

Established Member
sounds like a good day when do the Tyne vally drags normally happen
Its usually this time of year, end of September/start of October. Usually 4 weekends in a row and unfortunately I believe this is the last weekend. There are one or two workings tomorrow I think, if you wish to be part of the action? Been happening for a good few years now but I've only partaken in two.

Thanks fur the kind words, Kite, a good day it was!

The_Train

Established Member
This is a new one on me Alex, how come this occurs once a year? As you say, with the IETs due onto the East Coast network very soon I may have missed my chance to experience these drags but I shall keep an eye out next year nonetheless

ash39

Established Member
Nice trip out Alex - I didn't go this year but wish I had done - good chance it'll be all HST/IET next year as you say. Plus 67006 is required here too!

alexf380

Established Member
Round and round the roundabout.
Friday 2nd November 2018

Time marches on so quickly, doesn't it? Already it's November, and 2018 is on the verge of drawing to a close. With winter comes the dark nights, cold winds and, eventually, the December timetable change. With said alterations looming, I knew that time was running out for me to find the last remaining member of the class 314s which, much like Mr.13 and his very similar 315s, not too long ago I felt slipping through my fingers.

I had some business to take care of in the morning, so it wasn't until nearly midday that I made my way to Waverley station to find not very much moving. A signal failure at Haymarket meant that most trains heading towards Newbridge Jn area were cancelled. I was just heading to buy a ticket when I hear an announcement for the 11:30 Queen Street departing from platform 10. It was already knocking on 11:33 so I hurriedly make my way over to 365521 all by itself, expecting to find it rammed full but actually it was quite the opposite. I was the only one in the carriage until Croy! A storming run it was too, such a great noise these things make.

Anyway, Queen Street was reached eventually and I pop into the ticket office to buy my Roundabout. I had considered buying the Daytripper ticket but all my intentions today could be got within the smaller area of said Roundabout. Central station was reached in no time, and my first port of call was a coffee! Very much needed so it was. I see a Gourock service formed of a 314 departing soon, and I elect to take it on two grounds; it'll take me past Shields Depot, and it was a slow service so I can knock off a couple of shacks on the way. So 314211 was boarded, and I pay particular attention to where I'm sitting in order to get a good view. I see the prize sitting on one of the depot roads, so I know that it is still indeed available. Excellent, I've got a few hours to go until the working that I think it'll appear on so I set about the secondary task of today, and alight at Hillington East.

From here, I have a plus 6 onto a service back to Glasgow, or I can walk up to Hillington West station, which is visible along the tracks. I opt to take the walk since it's not really all that far, I can do it in a little over 15 minutes, but my big coat + hoodie + shirt + coffee meant I was a tad on the warm side by the time I got through the industrial estate to Hillington West, where I have a short wait for 380016 to take me to the other shack on this stretch, Cardonald. Since I was in a walking sort of mood today, I ponder heading over to Mosspark for all of about ten seconds until I sit down, and take the 30 minute fester on the chin. During said fester, I formulate some sort of a plan for the rest of the afternoon, look up some connections, watch a plethora of desiros pass, and still have 15 minutes to wait. Cardonald isn't a place I shall be visiting again any time soon!

Scotrail 380016 by Alex Fleming, on Flickr

Eventually, 380015 arrives to take me back to Glasgow Central.

One short interlude later, I board 156433 working the 14:57 Barrhead service, as I decide to go after those shacks. 433 also happened to be a winner, as was the other unit on the Barrhead shuttles today, so that swayed my decision a bit. I take this one almost all the way to the end of the service to Nitshill. Quite possibly one of the roughest places I've ever been to! The walk back to Priesthill and Darnley was quoted as 19 minutes, and the timetable allowed 18 minutes to do this. Fear not, as I managed it in 10 with a steady pace. 156433's return was even delayed a little to make the connection even more comfortable.

Kennishead is reached momentarily, before 156437 shows its face, and I climb aboard quite a busy service up to Barrhead. I find it's better to do these shacks this way as it's a cross-island interchange onto an ex-Kilmarnock service back to Glasgow (once an hour, as the other half hourly ex-Kilarmock doesn't call at Barrhead) and it's dud 156512 that is working this one.

Scotrail 156437 by Alex Fleming, on Flickr

I'm back in Glasgow just after 4 o'clock, and my stomach is howling now, so I grab some scran before heading downstairs to see what's going on as there's still an hour or so until the moment of truth. I don't have to wait too long before a winner appears, and it's 318262+320312 that I take out to Hyndland. Unfortunately I can't hang around too long, and 320308 is taken almost immediately back to Glasgow Central.

I nip to the lavatory before checking the progress of the empty stock working for the Neilston express, and it's arrived already into platform 10. It's two red 314s in the platform ahead of a 318. I don't pay any attention to it, with my eyes firmly set on the front train. Will it produce? Won't it? The rear portion is identified as a dud, and I walk up to see what's on the front when...

Scotrail 314207 by Alex Fleming, on Flickr

...the class clearance cannon sounds for the first time for me! All I need to do now is wait for the right time, and I can put a big red line through the sixteenth member of the class. Bang on time 314207+314202 leave amidst fireworks and cheerleaders, first stop Muirend, although I take it out to Patterton as it has the best connection for something back to Glasgow.

Surprisingly enough it was 380008 that took me there. There wasn't anything particularly interesting floating around, and I didn't particularly want to take the Shotts stopper back to Edinburgh, so the walk to Queen Street was made where I see that the 18:30 is a pair of duds sighted earlier in the day. I opt to hang back for the 18:45 which throws out a similarly dud pair of Networkers. With three of the Scottish ones still to find, I'm not too impressed that it's 365509+365537 that are carrying me to the Capital this evening. We pick up a few minutes delay as an ill passenger is removed at Falkirk High (passed out drunk) which puts my first choice method of getting home in the bin, so it's over to the 19:55 Tweedbank with 158789+158705 doing the honours.

Nothing more to say, other than what a stroke of luck it was that it came back when it did, for as long as it has. I suspect that December will indeed spell the end for it though, with the E&G due to go fully 385 operated.

ash39

Established Member
Ah so you got the second coming of 314207 in the end! I very nearly joined you - I had the read that it would work in the evening peak (and also my other required one, 211, was out all day) - but as I'm on a North West Rover, I decided it would be daft to spend around £20 to get from Carlisle to Glasgow, and then some more on a Roundabout ticket, just to get a couple of 314's.

I thought I might regret it someday - I already regret it after reading your report!

alexf380

Established Member
Indeed I did! Yeah quite possibly a good idea to leave it for now, there is still some time left if you're out and about in the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.