• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alex's trip reports (ft. Least Used in Scotland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexf380

Established Member
Alex's Spirit Level
Day 3: Into the wild wild West
Friday 10th May 2019

The third day of this rover was quickly upon us, and a work social gathering in the evening meant I was restricted by time today. I wanted to still get a good amount done so I went for an earlier train, the 07:45 to Glasgow Queen Street, in order to accommodate this. It was 385115+385035 doing the honours today, and I took up residence in the single seat outside first class. The aim of today was to attack the shacks I required in South Ayrshire and down towards Stranraer, and so upon arrival at Queen Street I made the very familiar walk over to Central and grabbed myself a coffee as I had some time to kill before the next move.

Another one of these in the book!
385035 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

The 09:31 Ayr service was today in the hands of (comparatively, for a 380/1) low mileage 380109, so the run to today’s first port of call gave it a nice boost. Shack #1, Prestwick Airport, is reached 40 minutes later and I plonk myself in the waiting shelter. I had thought that there may be some resistance to my being here as I’m not technically using the airport (neither is anyone else, it would appear!) but the fester passed without issue and I was the only person boarding or alighting 380101 for the very short hop down to Newton-on-Ayr.

Here, there is a small problem brewing as my next train had picked up a couple of delay minutes before it had even left Ayr, so I was worried that a short connection further up the line would be missed. Winner 380013 arrived two minutes late and took me one stop up to Prestwick Town, where my next train was already in the platform! I elected not to run for it as it was a dud 380 anyway, and waiting ten minutes for the following train would only serve to reduce the wait at Ayr, so I hung back in the sun and awaited the arrival of equally as dud 380115 to whisk me off to the end of its journey to Ayr.

A random photo of 380115.
380115 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Ayr station is in a bit of a mess at the moment, what with the works going on to the derelict station hotel. It also meant that I couldn’t get my lunch from the WHSmith in the concourse as it was within the safety cordon. No matter, I’ll get something later, it was only quarter past eleven by this point. One short interlude later and 156508 appears to take me onto some winning track. Yes, it was time to go down the Stranraer branch. We wound our way through some lovely looking countryside, stopping a few times to collect various tokens, before crawling past the town centre to arrive into a very sunny Stranraer station. I would have spent some time here, but with a two-hourly service and my meeting later that evening, I decided it was worth a return trip and re-boarded the same unit. Just 8 minutes after arriving, we were off again.

508 hides in the shade of the trainshed at Stranraer.
156508 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

I’m only going one stop this time, but in this part of the world that means a half-hour, 25-mile journey. Barrhill was my destination, and I think I surprised the signaller by not only alighting from the train here, but actually walking into the village! It’s a nice enough walk, with a pavement, but it is all down hill so I wouldn’t want to try it in the other direction. I reach Barrhill village with about fifteen minutes until my onward bus so I think of finding a wee shop or something to buy a sandwich, but there isn’t even one of those here! Irritating, but I don’t let it get to me as I board one of Stagecoach Western’s D&G liveried Solos for a very spirited run up to Girvan. The friendly driver was going to drop me at the harbour, but I mentioned that I actually wanted the station so he took a back road, avoiding the traffic, and dropped me there instead. A very nice chap, but you probably wouldn’t get away with that everywhere!

There were a few minutes to wait at Girvan, as 156507 arrived on the Ayr shuttle service (which, mixed with the Stranraer trains gives an hourly service from Girvan to Ayr). A one stop hop is all that I’m after and I alight at Maybole at quarter past 3. To cut a long story short, I’m starving. I know I have near enough an hour here to wait so I hot foot it into the town centre and stumble across a co-op. Bingo! Sustenance suitable purchased, I head back to the station to chow down on my haul.

There was a Stranraer bound train due, and I discover that there is something like a +4 connection at Girvan onto the next train north, but it’s dud 156511 from a couple of days ago so I elect not to bother. Soon enough, it’s time for 156433 to make an appearance, and I take this one all the way to the end of its journey at Kilmarnock, avoiding the Killie locals who felt the need for constant reassurance that this train does indeed go to Kilmarnock.

Beginning of the evening peak at Killie.
156433 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

After watching 156509 disappear to Newcastle for the night, 156442 showed up and actually held a healthy load right through to Glasgow, which surprised me as I assumed most people would be heading home from work by now. I grab a quick something from Greggs before hot footing it over to Queen Street for the 18:00 train home which is in the hands of 385112+385015 this evening. Taking my usual spot in the composite coach, I relax after what was quite a nice day in the far south west. Better not get too jolly tonight, I've got an early rise tomorrow morning!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexf380

Established Member
Alex's Spirit Level
Day 4: Man without a plan
Saturday 11th May 2019

As soon as day 3 had left us, day 4 was arriving. This was the final day of my May holiday and I wanted it to be a good one. I didn’t have a proper plan in place for this day, I just wanted to see what could be won. That being said, I did have two big goals for the day, and I would be very disappointed if they didn’t pay off.

Thankfully, I was a very good boy the night before and didn’t drink too profusely (we all know what I’m like!) and so I made my intended train with no issue. It was the 07:58 Dundee service, and I climb aboard a very welcome winner 170433 with breakfast in hand. Always good to get a winner on a required move, and it should be noted that I have broken my boycott of Pret-a-manger now as I really fancied one of their sausage and egg brioche, the temptation was just too much! Anyhoo, I had wanted to be on this specific train as it is one of only two a day to stop at Fife’s least used station; Springfield. Unsurprisingly, I was the only person around as the 170 farted its merry way up to Dundee, and I made my way to the bus stop.

Basking in the spring sun at Springfield.
170433 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Yes, I was getting another bus, the first of two today actually, and it was one of Stagecoach Fife’s new Optare Solo SR’s that was working the 94A to St Andrews. Thankfully I wasn’t going all the way to St Andrews, just up to Cupar, as the ride wasn’t the best along the country roads. Cupar station was reached in not much time at all and I awaited with baited breath for the Birmingham train. Would XC bless me with a winning voyager?... They would indeed! 221135 was enjoyed for the 11 mile jump down to Markinch. I choose not to take a seat as it’s busy and I’m really not going very far.

Upon arrival at Markinch, I note that a winning 170 is on the Arbroath diagrams today, and since I require so very few of them I work out its workings for the rest of the day and concoct a plan of action. Very Super dud 158735 then ruins the mood to take me up to Perth, arriving a few minutes early. In true Alex fashion, I now take the opportunity to grab a coffee from the Costa here before wandering over to the Glasgow bound platform to see what’s on the next Aberdeen to Queen Street working. There’s a healthy crowd gathering and I hope that it’s an HST but no such luck, it’s a busy 170405 and I swither about letting it go but then, if I do, what are my other options? There isn’t much to choose from in Perth, so I climb aboard anyway for the journey down to Stirling.

It's not an HST.
170405 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Here, I choose to do something a little different, and a bit radical, and take an hour or two to actually see Stirling. It’s meant to be a lovely place, and the sun was shining so I think “Why not, what do I have to lose?” And so I did.

Two hours later I’m back at the station awaiting the Aberdeen bound train, as I do have one other pressing need for the day. A solo 158 arrives on an Aberdeen to Glasgow working (ouch!) before 170450 in all its non-HST glory pulls in to take me north. I don’t have long here to wait for my next connecting service, so I nip to the lavatory and in doing so, I notice that the 17:24 service is starting from here. What’s more, the HST that’s sitting in the bay waiting to work said service was the (at the time) only functioning refurb set. I commit that to memory and start the cogs working to formulate a plan. With just a couple of minutes to go, the guard appears and unlocks 170415. We’re moving in no time, and I alight at our first stop; the one and only Invergowrie. It’s a very short platform here, only just big enough for our 170.

Into the undergrowth.
170415 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Time now for the second bus move of the day, and it’s over to Stagecoach Strathtay to take me back into Dundee City Centre on one of the Gold spec Enviro 300s, giving some lovely early-ADL based thrash in doing so. I walk round to find the station and what I’m met with surprises me. This can’t be right, Dundee station entrance is actually…nice! And new! It isn’t just the entrance that’s been all done up, there’s a new waiting room come lounge for us normal passengers, and a Cally Sleeper lounge for the purveyors of the hotel on wheels. Good work fellas, it looks great!

I use the time in-between trains here to get to work on some stuff for this year’s Fringe gubbins, when I notice another winning 170 heading south. That’ll do nicely I think, and as it leaves I discover it’ll play out nicely in my attempt to get the other winning 170 I saw earlier. Don’t you just love it when a non-plan comes together! About 20 minutes before the refurb HST is set to leave I decide I can’t take any more of that script and head out to the platform.

There are one or two Scotrail crew milling around the rear powercar, I think trying to figure out how to get it working, as there’s a bit of a delay in opening the doors but before too long we were on board. It’s nice, don’t get me wrong, a massive step up from what we’ve had before, but the audio announcements need a bit of work. It’s that TrainFX system that is popping up everywhere at the moment, and just doesn’t seem to fit right with me. The rest of the journey, however, was lovely and with two winning powercars to boot (43130+43140 by the way) I was a happy chappy!

Looking good!
43140 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Edinburgh was the obvious destination and on arrival I have a good 45 minutes or so before my first target was due out, so that can only mean one thing…it’s BK time! 1x usual meal later I head over to where the next Kirkcaldy bound service is due to depart from and bang on queue 170427 arrives, and I jump aboard. It’s a very uneventful journey into Fife, and I chose to alight at Aberdour to pick up my other winner. The minutes pass with great tension as I eagerly await to see if I’ve worked this out correctly. Soon enough, though, 170417+158715 round the corner and I can’t help but smile as I board. I head straight for the declassified section behind the front cab not least because of the comfort achieved, but also because there was the fluffiest golden retriever I’d ever seen in attendance! I end the rover on a high, with 20 total winners for haulage across the 4 days, and a similar number of shacks scored. Just some final stats for you all, I now require 100 Scotrail stations, and only 2 Scottish class 170 units.

Iskra

Established Member
Looked a good few days there Alex. I didn't think the sun would ever shine in Stranraer. Seemed a very grey place when I was last there!

The_Train

Established Member
Really enjoyed reading through that Alex. Got to say, the HSTs do look good in the ScotRail livery.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Craigendoran, that brings back memories when I visited it back in January one year during the storm which took out the S&C. That shelter was very helpful with the horizon rain coming in across the water!

Anyhow, sounded like a productive use of a Spirit of Scotland rover to knock out some of those stations which fall outside the other rover areas

alexf380

Established Member
Tuesday 2nd July 2019
A little bit later than planned.

Well then folks, as 2019 draws to a close let’s turn back the clock to earlier this year and reminisce about one of those trips that I just couldn’t quite be bothered to write about at the time. This had meant to have been my June trip, however June was (surprisingly) a very busy month for me, so it got pushed two days over the threshold into July. No matter, I’m still counting it as June, I’ll just mark it as Tuesday 32nd June! I had a show rehearsal in the evening, so couldn’t stay out all day long, but as I had only planned to stay in the top half of the ECML I’d still get a good few hours of bashing.

Anyway, the 06:56 Edinburgh to King’s Cross train is a firm favourite of mine not only because it’s first stop is Newcastle, but also because it’s booked a Class 91. These fine machines are in their twilight months now and as they have such a soft spot with me I want to ride behind them properly before they go. Today, I was to enjoy the company of no less than 6 members of the class. The first of which was Flying Scotsman liveried 91101. An outright dud with a London – Edinburgh trip already under its belt, but it was an advance ticket and I wasn’t about to turn my nose up at it!

The first portion of the journey was bliss (it was a First class advance, might I add. Cooked breakfast was not too shabby.) However, after Newcastle things went just a little bit wrong. We struggled to take power as we left Newcastle station, and we waited for a few minutes on (what I think is called) King Edward Bridge. I think nothing of it, probably just a late running XC or something in front of us, until we get to Durham, where the same problem occurs. No power. The TM comes on the intercom and informs us that the loco is a failure and we are awaiting some assistance. “Pro’s and con’s”, I think to myself, as this situation means that my plan for the day is totally and utterly screwed, but maybe I might just score some unusual traction here.

Fast forward to Darlington were, just over two hours late, 67004 is heaving the dead rake of Mk4 coaches into the station, and I leave the train. I have time for a coffee after purchasing a North East round robin ticket, which does actually function as a rover ticket, before jumping back up to Newcastle on a winning 91125. That’s a good sight to see after getting a bit bummed out with the delay. It’s just a short hop up to Newcastle, so I sit in coach B right behind the loco.

For some reason that I can’t remember now, there’s a half hour interlude before my next move. This also happens to churn out a winning loco in the form of consecutively numbered 91126. I retrace my steps here and take the loco down to Darlington, where I have a short wait for Battle of Britain liveried 91110 to appear. It’s a dud, so I only go as far as Durham on this one as I spy a decent enough connection here onto a southbound 91.

Sure enough, my decent connection that had been made slightly longer owing to the underpass works at Durham, sees me comfortably onto a late running 91131. This one is taken down to York, the southern extremity of the rover validity. There are more problems here, as something (probably a de-wirement, let’s be honest) has caused a bit of disruption on the East Coast today. 91109 rolls in on a northbound working and I decide to let it go. I could have taken it up to Newcastle to bump up its mileage, as I was booked onto the following train home. It seems the railway gods have decided to make up for the morning’s mishap and blessed me with winning 91132 as my final train of the day. All 204 miles of the journey went by in an instant as we arrived into the Capital 22 minutes down, so no delay repay on my return leg. Boo!

All in all, 4 out of 6 winners today is good towards my Class 91 totals. At this point in time I needed 12 of the class to clear them all. Will I do it in time? Stay tuned.

alexf380

Established Member
Thursday 11th July 2019
Familiar Territory

Following on from last week’s jaunt to the sunny north east, I decided to have another go. Same sort of idea, same sort of timescale (rehearsal commitment in the evening, so reduced bashing time). The 06:56 was my chariot of choice once again and on it today was…43319+43277?? I looked on in horror at the HST that stood before me. I considered turning right around and demanding to know how LNER could have the audacity to sub in a HST on this turn, sending my day to ruin, keeping me awake at night wondering what could have been, but in the end I took myself and my McD’s breakfast into my reserved seat and shut up.

Newcastle was my destination this week (just as well!) and after purchasing another NE round robin ticket I clambered aboard 220014 for a quick spin down to Darlington, passing the HST I had alighted from as we left Newcastle before it. How I laughed into the horizon. Darlo was reached with minimal fuss, and I had just enough time to have a quick PNB, grab a coffee, and have a nose around WHSmith before 91105 howled in, grabbing my attention and taking me up to Durham.

Not a moment sooner than I had arrived in Durham, I was leaving again. This time upon 220031 which was working a Newcastle terminator, so that’s where I went. It was at this point that I decided I wanted something different, so I wandered over to winning 185130 and blended in with the crowd of people awaiting the unlocking of the doors. I only take it to Durham, though, as said crowd of people made it somewhat uncomfortable, and I had received some gen on two requests I had placed with the forum. Two locos were out of range, sadly, but two certainly were not! In fact, one was little more than 100 miles north of me at that point, so I got myself in position, and queued the music.

91131, dud from but a week ago, duly transported me from Durham down to Darlington where I took a step back and… er… stepped back a working. This led me nicely onto 91108, the first of the day’s requests. This loco would end up with a paltry 44 miles to its name, as I took it down to York (I had my eye on another potential 91 service) and by the time I had a chance to bump its numbers it had been withdrawn from use.

Thus, York was reached and I had a quicker change here than I would have liked. 91110 was said potential 91, and so I took it north anyway, as all haulage is good haulage! Durham was my destination on this one, and after one slightly elongated transfer I was once again comfortably on the southbound platform. I saw some headlights in the distance, and took my position at the country end of the platform. It was 91115, another winner! I could only afford to take it as far as Darlington, however, as I had to be back in Durham an hour later for my date with my other request.

It was to a Voyager to take me north, and after having a nice wee chat with the catering steward on 220032 I alighted at Durham for the hundredth time today. My target was fast approaching though, and I wasted no time in ensuring that 91103 was into the haulage book. It was an endangered species, earmarked for withdrawl later that week (I’m sure) it really was a case of now or never. Thankfully, it was now. Onwards to Northallerton. And, as 91103 screamed into the hot day it had become, 43239+43305 came the other way. No tantrums this time, as I headed back up to Darlo once more.

Time was, as ever, ticking and I had no choice here but to hang around for what I think was the Aberdeen train, so guaranteed a HST. 43315+43208 did a good enough job of taking me north to Newcastle in all their HST-like glory. BK was visited for dinner before I headed back out to the platform to welcome in my train home. I was hoping I would score again with a fourth 91 for red-pennage. 91124 comes round the curve at Newcastle and I let out a sigh of relief, knowing I was heading home needing just 8 locos to clear the class.

A good result from the day, mirroring my efforts from the previous week, but with a couple of units thrown in for good measure. A return to the North East round robin ticket is guaranteed as it is a very easy day out for me, and as mentioned I do still need some Class 91s to complete the set. However, as I write this, I realise that shall not be possible. One of my requirements, 91117, has already been bought by Europhoenix and is a candidate for export. So it is, sadly, unlikely that I’ll get all 31 of them but this hobby has a habit of throwing up the unexpected, so you never know!

alexf380

Established Member
Visiting Alloa - The least used station in Clackmannanshire.
Friday 7th February 2020

Hello everyone! Bringing this thread out from the depths of page 6 seems to be a regular passtime of mine. Such is life. Anyway, after my Merseyside trip, I had been thinking on how I could spice things up. Last year I had cleared all the shacks in the Daytripper area, and there are only a few units left to find, and so I wanted to try something different. My idea? Least used stations.
Yes, least used stations. You're all aware of Geoff Marshall, right? I want to do a blog-ish version of his video series. We'll see how it goes.

Starting at the top of the list, Alloa is the most-used least-used station in Scotland. In the most recent set of figures from the ORR, Alloa recieved 370,452 passengers in a year. If we break that down, it works out as rouhgly 1,015 people a day. Not bad! I use the term "least used" loosely though, as Alloa is in fact the only staion in Clackmannanshire.

Getting there is easy. It receives an hourly service seven days a week to and from Glasgow Queen Street. Getting there from Edinburgh is also fairly easy... in theory. Catch a Dunblane train to Stirling and wait 20 or so minutes on the Alloa connection. On this occasion though, the 11:20 Dunblane train had been cancelled, so I bough a coffee in an attempt to kick my brain into figuring out the next best way to get there. Cumbernauld train to Larbert then pick up the Alloa train from there? Sure.

385107 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Not so sure. It wasn't until I was on board 385107 (dud) that I realised the Cumbernauld trains don't go to Larbert. I took it to Haymarket anyway. And it's a good thing I did, as I stumbled across the little waiting room on platforms 2 and 3 at Haymarket. It's right at the Edinburgh end of the station and if you're ever faced with a fester, check it out.

Haymarket by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

The next Dunblane train rolled in (385104, also dud) and I took it up to Stirling where I commited a cardinal sin - and headed to the bus station.
First Midland Bluebird's 65711, a Scania single decker, was on the next service 51 and it actually provided a decent amount of thrash on the half hour journey to Alloa town centre.

First Bus 65711 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

No offence to anyone from Alloa, but to be honest it's really not the most aesthetically pleasing place on earth. The town centre is just a short walk from the train station, which is no bad thing at all. It's just a run of the mill single platform station from the mid-2000s. Nothing exciting. Not even the station waiting room which I definitely thought was staffed but isn't.
Well, the not one but two steam train blant beds are kind of noteworthy.
Alloa Station by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr
Alloa by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

After taking an out of focus photo in front of the station sign, it was time to head home. The next service to Glasgow arrived and disgorged its load of humans before more humans replaced them. Unfortunately it was 385022 (another dud) but I was only taking it to Stirling.

385022 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr
Stirling by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr
43142 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

I love Stirling station. I think it's great. I could spend ages there (and I did last year, at 5am, after getting off the sleeper and waiting for the first Edinburgh train of the day) but after watching an actual Scotrail HST working an actual service train, I had to head home. It was 385013 (a winner, at long last!) which was taken all the way back to Edinburgh.

385013 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

And that was that. All feedback is much appreciated, theres 28 more Council authority areas in Scotland with train stations to cover so I want to make sure they're good reads!
Until next time though, have a goodun.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome back to the trip reporting community! :D

I like the idea of you replicating Geoff's video series, should be a series of interesting reads!

xotGD

Established Member
So not only did you visit the least used station in Clackmannanshire, you also visited the most used!

433N

With regard to the Haymarket waiting room, it is best to remember that it is usually well-used by train dispatch staff who spend loads of time waiting for late trains so that is probably why it is so nice. I prefer the one at Berwick-upon-Tweed which is nice and cosy and has a selection of books to read from the bookshelf 'library'.

alexf380

Established Member
So not only did you visit the least used station in Clackmannanshire, you also visited the most used!
Sure did! Just like Oakham station down in Rutland.
With regard to the Haymarket waiting room, it is best to remember that it is usually well-used by train dispatch staff who spend loads of time waiting for late trains so that is probably why it is so nice. I prefer the one at Berwick-upon-Tweed which is nice and cosy and has a selection of books to read from the bookshelf 'library'.
Ahhh that makes sense! The Dundee waiting room looks nice as well, been done up in the same sort of style.

The_Train

Established Member
I enjoyed that read Alex and would definitely look forward to more of this style of reports. One thing I love about reading these reports is the variations of the hobby that people come up with to keep things interesting.

I need to get back up to Scotland again at some point. I'm thinking an overnighter at some point in the summer (I'm lead to believe that Scotland gets above freezing around July time? ;) ) so I can get some spotting time in along with a good ride on the Fife Cat

alexf380

Established Member
Yes I do believe the second weekend in July will be the entirety of our summer this year! :lol:
Time permitting though, you should get yourself up here sooner rather than later. Worth the cold in my view.

433N

Yes I do believe the second weekend in July will be the entirety of our summer this year! :lol:

Bit optimistic. :(

Man arrives at Glasgow Central, exits the station and sees a boy in the street ...
Man : Does it always rain here ?
Boy : I don't know, I'm only 7.

Seriously, I'd personally take a punt on April for the best weather for a (Southern) Scotland visit. July can be very wet.

The_Train

Established Member
Time permitting though, you should get yourself up here sooner rather than later. Worth the cold in my view.

Last time I ventured up there was December 2018 and it wasn't actually as cold as I expected it to be :) I'd originally thought it would be nice to experience the sleeper on the journey up but the prices are just ridiculous when compared to a cheap b&b and Avanti advances. Either way, a trip up that way is a definite for this year

alexf380

Established Member
Visiting Dyce - Least used satation in Aberdeen City
Friday 28th February 2020

The second station on my list of least used stations across the country is Dyce. It's located about 6 miles north of Aberdeen station on the line up to Inverness, and sees a generally half hourly service on each direction, mostlybetween Inverurie and Montrose or Aberdeen, but every couple of hours it's a train to Inverness instead. In terms of passenger numbers, Dyce recieved 358,670 passengers in the year to April 2019, breaking down to just under 983 people a day. I'd imagine most of those are commuters into Aberdeen.

Dyce by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Originally, Dyce station was opened by the Great North of Scotland railway in 1854 as a standard two platform station, with subsequent platforms added for the Peterhead and Fraserburgh branch when that opened in 1861. Eventually though, both parts of the station were closed by You know Who in 1965. The station closed, but the signalbox remained open as the line was still served by through trains to Inverness. British Rail reopened the station, to a much less grand state, in 1984.
Recent improvements to the line have seen the track doubled from just outside Aberdeen all the way to Inverurie station, and complete resignalling to permit an increased service. This has, unfortunately, meant that the original signalbox had to go, and it was dismantled on 12th August last year.

Getting to Dyce is easy, if a little long. Ordinarily it would mean two trains each way but I'm a haulage chaser, so I elected to throw a second change on each leg just for the hell of it. Our story begins, as many do, at Edinburgh Waverley, with me heading for the 11:02 Arbroath train. 170432 is our unit today, and it isn't in the best shape. It was producing a lot of clag, the engine was hunting, and it was vibrating more than usual on idling. It appeared to not hamper performance too much, though, as it left me at Dundee more or less on time.

170432 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Ten minutes later, I could see an HST crossing the Tay bridge. Good! It hadn't been replaced by a unit. Even better, it was two winning power cars. Yes, 43031+43139 were the motive power for this classic slam-door set. I settle in to the seat, enjoy the silence, and watch the rain fly by. As we pass Montrose (surprisingly, not stopping) I look out for the unit in the siding as I'll run into that later, but it's dud 158707 so I confine that to the non-important part of memory.

Aberdeen is arrived in just over an hours time and I have plenty of time to grab a couple of photos before making my way over to the awaiting 158702 on the Inverurie train. I haven't been on one of these trains in the longest time, and as soon as I climb onboard I wonder why I let it be so long. I just feel...comfortable.

158702 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Now for the wet bit. It really was raining by the time I get off the train (quite a few people joined me in visiting the least used station in Aberdeen, don't think they'll write about it though.) so I take refuge in the waiting shelter before working out my next move. A helicopter or two leave before I decide to make a run for it. I'd read about the chippy in the station car park and I decided it would be incredibly rude of me not to give them a go.

No chips for me! by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

As it turns out, it wasn't to be as they close between 14:00 and 16:30 on Fridays. I arrived at the station at 14:13. Je suis disappointed! I would probably have had time to get something from the cafe next door but I wasn't sure if they did take away food or if I'd have to sit in, so I admored the local artwork instead. Nice.

A selection of art by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

A few minutes later than billed, 158701 arrived quite well loaded from Inverness and whisked me back to the granite city. A wee Brucie bonus for me was scoring platform 7N in the process, leaving just p5 for me to say I've done the whole station. I've plenty of time until my next train so I head into the Union Square shopping centre to find some food and maybe a coffee... ok definitely a coffee.

Aberdeen by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

The 16:00 to Edinburgh was confirmed to be an HST so that was something I needn't have worried about, and on fact it was two more winning powercars in charge of it in the form of 43179+43132. A refurb set it was too, and it was very comfy if a little busy. Glad it hadn't been downgraded to a 170, and also glad that I was only taking it to Dundee for a bit of something else home.

158711 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Talk about luck, the 17:34 service home was to start from Dundee vice Arbroath. Not only was I guaranteed my pick of seats, I had been blessed with a two car delight. 158711 was to be given a nice milage boost for the run to Edinburgh. I got wedged out at Markinch by a family on their way to see The Lion King in Edinburgh, but I didn't mind too much. Apart from when the Mum let slip that they were in fact going to see the Lion King and their youngest child lost his mind. In a good way, of course.

All in all a good day, but I was definitely very happy to get home and dry off. Stay tuned as we head west for the next least used station in Scotland!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A really enjoyable read there good sir! Didn't envy you with the poor weather though :lol:

Still seems weird to me to see all these familiar HST power car numbers in Scotland!

alexf380

Established Member
I don't mind a bit of rain, it's the cold that goes with it that I dislike. I cannot wait til the clocks go farward and we get a bit of warmth.

alexf380

Established Member
Tuesday 7th January 2020

What better way to use my new-found free time to type up a couple of trip reports from earlier this year that I didn’t do at the time. I've got a few of these in the bag and my first one comes from earlier this year on my January big-bash which was Tuesday 7th, and involved me making my return to Merseyside.

My day began slightly earlier than previous west coast bashes, as I tried out using the 06:13 off Edinburgh instead of my more usual 06:52. One thing I hadn’t considered when booking tickets for the trip was how I was going to get to the station as bus connections at that time of the morning aren’t great. It’s mad what an extra half an hour does to the service! Anyway, I have enough time to procure and near enough consume a coffee before the doors are unlocked on long time dud 350409. I had hoped for a 397 on this trip but to no avail. I settle in for the journey in my reserved seat, but only as far as Carlisle, as I’d split the journey to save a few quid. It was worth it in the end as my next move threw out required 390049 for the hop down to Wigan North Western.

390049 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

The walk across to Wallgate station was over in a flash and I was straight down to the platform, as my advances covered me all the way to Southport. I had time to note a very old bottle of Coke in the vending machine (the red label had been bleached yellow by the sun. No idea how long it had been in there!) before 156427+150118 appeared on the 09:36, which I took to journey’s end at Southport.

I had about fifteen minutes in my plan to grab my Lancashire Day Ranger ticket and a bottle of Pepsi before I made my way to Merseyrail. I needed most of the shacks on the Southport branch of the Northern line, so that’s where I went. I’ll just list the moves, rather than make you read it all as it was just your standard back and forth shack scratching, nothing incredibly noteworthy happened;

507029 Southport – Ainsdale
508114 Ainsdale – Birkdale
507001 Birkdale – Freshfield
508104 Freshfield – Hillside
507031 Hillside – Waterloo
507019 Waterloo – Seaforth & Litherland (it’s quite grim here)
507027 Seaforth & Litherland – Blundellsands & Crosby, which I thought was a shack score when I was planning it, but once I got home I realised I had been there back in 2015. Boo!
508111 Blundellsands & Crosby – Sandhills

A photo:
507031 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

I then turned by attention to my remaining shacks on the Ormskirk branch;

507006 Sandhills – Aughton Park
507023 Aughton Park – Walton
508137 Walton – Maghull North
507018 Maghull North – Moorfields
507014 Moorfields – Lime Street

Another photo:
508111 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

A quick nose around the high level platforms ensued, before I noticed that the Burger King I thought was over by the ticket window had disappeared. (Is that a figment of my imagination? Was there one at Lime Street?) I elect to delay my plan and head to the nearby shopping centre for lunch.

Just over half an hour later I’m back on the station and I’m heading for the overhead electrics now, I wanted some 319 noise! A nice big winning 319367 would do nicely and I take a seat in the the motor coach for the twenty minutes out to Eccleston Park. A surprising dud next, as 319375 appears to take me back to Roby. It’s already starting to get a bit dark now, and it’s only 4 o’clock. No matter, 319370 keeps me occupied, taking me up to Whiston. During the wait here one of TP’s 68s bowls through heading to Liverpool. Lovely noise, and I’ll be back for those another day you can be sure of that.

Here's 319376 before boarding at Lime Street:
319367 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

Something else new makes an appearance here as I get landed with 331107 for a comfortable hop to Broad Green. The basher inside me was disappointed because I wanted a 319, but the human inside me was pleased because they’re actually really nice units. I look forward to sampling more of them. I ended up waiting about twenty minutes at Broad Green for my next train as it was running a bit late, but unrefurbished 319372 showed up, so I let it off. It’s taken all the way up to Thatto Heath, and I didn’t have to wait long to sample another 331 as 331005 is next up on the short leap to Prescot.

331005 by Alexander Fleming, on Flickr

It was now time to think about heading home, so I started to make my way north to Preston, where I would pick up my train back to Scotland. First though I had to get there, and I do that with the help of a familiar face from earlier 319367 for the shack score at Bryn. My third 331 of the afternoon, 331111 was then enjoyed up to the bustling metropolis that is Wigan North Western.

Just 7 minutes on the cold platform is all I had to wait before the Manchester – Barrow train was due, and I had seen that these were operated by Northern’s other new toys, so I sat and awaited my fate. Sure enough, 195102 was taken up to Preston to bring the day’s proceedings to a close. Plenty of time to source dinner (in the form of a sub-standard pasty from the hut at the bottom of the ramp) before my fears came true, and 350409 arrived to take me home.

But it wasn’t going to be that easy, was it? North of Lockerbie we came to a stand, and the Guard announced that there was a broken down train three trains in front of us. Fantastic. We were later informed that as the broken down train was also belonging to Transpennine Express, we’d have to rescue it. Even better. The two trains between us and the casualty, both Avanti services, were moved out the way so we could proceed up towards Beattock and eventually cross the detonators (which startled one or two people in the carriage who weren’t expecting it). We coupled up to the stricken Desiro and set off on our way. Tough news for the passengers on the break down, as that was meant for Glasgow Central, but both units went to Edinburgh and they sorted taxis across to Glasgow.

We arrived at Edinburgh Waverley at 23:07, a massive 87 down. Full delay repay here I come, all £9 odds of it. I then discover that it was 350403 that had sat down. Something to do with the pantograph, according to one of the drivers I overheard talking to the other driver. It was a bit of a kick in the teeth though, as this was not the first time but the second time that I’ve had 403 as part of a train but not been able to count haulage with it as it was either locked out of use or not powered.

Over 535 miles covered though, and a healthy 17 winners for haulage to kick start the new year.

The_Train

Established Member
Another good read there Alex, as was the Dyce one (loving the least used station reports).

Definitely something different to be part of a rescue train and although you were very late arriving back into Scotland, at least TPE were active in solving the issue :)

Status
Not open for further replies.