• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alighting at MKC nearest to stairs as as tight bus connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I'm going to be getting the LNR Crewe to Milton Keynes Central service and I'll have 5 minutes to get the X5 bus on to Oxford. Currently, all of the LNR services on that route are 8 carriages. Would I be right in saying that carriage number 3 (of 8) at the second set of doors would be the best set to alight from to be straight up the stairs at MKC and towards the ticket barriers.

If it was short formed with 4 carriages, would this make any difference on the stopping position. I really cannot afford (ideally) to miss the X5 atm as it's only an hourly service. Once out of the station, is it easy to find the correct stop for the X5 to Oxford as I only have about 5 minutes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm going to be getting the LNR Crewe to Milton Keynes Central service and I'll have 5 minutes to get the X5 bus on to Oxford. Currently, all of the LNR services on that route are 8 carriages. Would I be right in saying that carriage number 3 (of 8) at the second set of doors would be the best set to alight from to be straight up the stairs at MKC and towards the ticket barriers.

If it was short formed with 4 carriages, would this make any difference on the stopping position. I really cannot afford (ideally) to miss the X5 atm as it's only an hourly service. Once out of the station, is it easy to find the correct stop for the X5 to Oxford as I only have about 5 minutes.
It's either carriage 3 or 4, but it's definitely the second set of doors. I know I got it perfect when I last went to MK in August.

I'd be surprised if the 4 and 8 car stop boards are at the same place, but I'd gladly be corrected on that.

ashkeba

Established Member
I'd be surprised if the 4 and 8 car stop boards are at the same place, but I'd gladly be corrected on that.
streetview showsthem in the same place on platform 5. I could not see elsewhere.

gray1404

Established Member
Is the bus stop for the X5 to Oxford at MKC difficult to find? I don't want to waste valuable limited minutes looking for the stop.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is the bus stop for the X5 to Oxford at MKC difficult to find? I don't want to waste valuable limited minutes looking for the stop.

Straight out of the station, cross the zebra crossing over the first part of the "bus station", then it's the stop immediately on the left or right on the second part. I believe it's Oxford on the left and Bedford on the right but I could be wrong.

Veteran Member
Already answered, but I find Googlemaps street view extremely useful for visualising such things.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks so much guys! So its out of the station then over the zebra crossing, then its straight away on my left, stop Z4. Sounds like 5 minutes will be just enough time to make it from the platform to the bus. :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thanks so much guys! So its out of the station then over the zebra crossing, then its straight away on my left, stop Z4. Sounds like 5 minutes will be just enough time to make it from the platform to the bus. :)

In normal circumstances it'd be difficult due to crowds on the stairs, but as quiet as things are at present it should be possible enough.

gray1404

Established Member
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. If I position myself correctly though in terms of getting off the train and am one of the first up the stairs, hopefully it will be possible for me to have enough time. Also, would there ever be too many people getting off an LNR Crewe to Euston service at MKC.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. If I position myself correctly though in terms of getting off the train and am one of the first up the stairs, hopefully it will be possible for me to have enough time. Also, would there ever be too many people getting off an LNR Crewe to Euston service at MKC.

If COVID wasn't going on there sometimes would be (though much more on services from London) but at the moment there won't.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks, I'll make sure I'm correctly positioned getting off the train so that as things return to normal, I try to avoid being caught up in any crowd and miss the bus. Hopefully the X5 will return to a 30 minute frequency soon too.

When I was at MKC the other day I notice on an 8 car LNR service the second set of doors of coach 3/8 was just before the stairs. The first set of doors of coach 4/8 just after. So either would goo for alighting in terms of short distance from platform to stairs. Fingers crossed getting ahead of any crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.