• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"All aboard our new line to Windermere" - Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
The bed of the second track is still there, but I don't think there is room for a platform due to the adjacent steep bank next to Lakeland Plastics.
To put a second platform in you'd have to rip up and move the existing platform and waiting room northwards by around 5-8 metres into the car park, and then skew the track northwards. That may affect the bus turning area.
A better cheaper idea may be to extend the length of the existing platform into A and B sections, allowing two standing trains end-on with a runaround on the existing unused trackbed. That would have the advantage of allowing steam excursions. The Windermere line is a perfect line for running a regular timetabled steam service on, using something like a BR standard tank engine hauling 3-5 coaches

Just to clarify - when I wrote the above I was thinking about Windermere, not Kendal. Misread the post I was answering

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grumpy

So is it now possible to get to Windermere entirely on Arriva Northern trains if travelling from elsewhere on the Northern network (eg Sheffield, Leeds or Manchester for example?)

It is, and if you've never done the branch it can now be done within one of the "£10 anywhere for the day" Northern/Johnston press special offers which I believe are currently being run again.

Mordac

Established Member
Cant see any new signalling on this branch as one train seems to suffice are there going to be through trains when new timetable starts?

Not for the new timetable, but there will be new trains for a Northern Connect service from MIA in a couple of years.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
It is - but opportunities are limited and vary with day of the week. You need to use a Northern train to/from Windermere that has extended beyond Oxenholme, at least as far as Preston and these aren't frequent. So, for example, you can do it from Leeds via Preston using the Leeds <> Blackpool service onto a Preston <> Windermere service. Or the odd direct Manchester Airport <> Windermere service. etc.

Thanks for that. I'm a bit out of the loop with what services are Northern and what are TPE on that line. For example, looking at the timetable on the link below the Saturday 1803 WDM-PRE is listed as a Northern service but TOPS shows it being operated by 185 units which are surely TPE's! What's going on?

https://be803fe5c416e39d38ae-aa2108...imetables/Arriva_TT_38_Windermere-Preston.pdf

Kendalian

Thanks for that. I'm a bit out of the loop with what services are Northern and what are TPE on that line. For example, looking at the timetable on the link below the Saturday 1803 WDM-PRE is listed as a Northern service but TOPS shows it being operated by 185 units which are surely TPE's! What's going on?

https://be803fe5c416e39d38ae-aa2108...imetables/Arriva_TT_38_Windermere-Preston.pdf

The Windermere, Barrow and Blackpool N lines all transferred from TPE to the new Northern franchise on 1/4/16.

Northern currently hire in 4 (I think) 185's from TPE to cover until their new 195's come into service and/or 170's transfer from Scotrail.

Windermere line is now operated by a mixture of 185's and (usually) 156's, whereas under TPE it was exclusively 185's.

Can't beat progress :roll:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
The Windermere, Barrow and Blackpool N lines all transferred from TPE to the new Northern franchise on 1/4/16.

Northern currently hire in 4 (I think) 185's from TPE to cover until their new 195's come into service and/or 170's transfer from Scotrail.

Windermere line is now operated by a mixture of 185's and (usually) 156's, whereas under TPE it was exclusively 185's.

Excellent, many thanks for that. I might give it a try with a Northern £10 day ranger next month, just hope that, given the sparse Northern service between Oxenholme and Preston, there aren't any delays....

QueensCurve

Established Member

It does seem a retrograde step.:cry:

Kendalian

It does seem a retrograde step.:cry:

Yes. From memory 156's were introduced on the branch in May 1993 (replacing 143's). This was a year before the 2 hourly Man Airport service was introduced.

Due to the delays introducing the 175's, 158's were used 1999-2000. 175's then until the 185's took over in 2006.

So the 156's have returned after around a 17 year absence....:roll:

tom1649

So the 156's have returned after around a 17 year absence....:roll:

Some lines would be glad of a 156. I'll happily have them on my line if you don't like them. They're my favourite of the Sprinter family.

Greybeard33

Established Member

Actually Northern has only had the use of three 185s for most of the day since July, which has necessitated the (re)introduction of 156s on some Windermere services. TPE now uses the fourth 185 on Cleethorpes to Manchester Airport services, in place of two 170s that have gone to Chiltern. The 170s are enhancing Chiltern's services, so progress for that part of the country! :roll:

Reported on another thread a couple of weeks ago that:
The former TPE depots at Blackpool and Barrow have just signed 153s (to go with 156s and 185s). The thinking behind it is the Barrow line can't really accommodate 2*156s at a few stations, but a 156+153 would be more suitable. Plus, I understand, they want 153s with 156s on the Windermere branch as a single 156 is not a suitable replacement for a 185.
Has anyone seen a 3-car 156+153 combination on the Windermere branch yet?

randyrippley

Established Member
" The thinking behind it is the Barrow line can't really accommodate 2*156s at a few stations, but a 156+153 would be more suitable."

Huh? Both 153 and 156 have been working the Barrow line for years. Also I find it hard to believe 2x156 are too long for any of the stations. Wasn't a problem when the 156 fleet was introduced 20 odd years ago, and its not so many years since there were all-stations loco-hauled sets

Greybeard33

Established Member
" The thinking behind it is the Barrow line can't really accommodate 2*156s at a few stations, but a 156+153 would be more suitable."

Huh? Both 153 and 156 have been working the Barrow line for years. Also I find it hard to believe 2x156 are too long for any of the stations. Wasn't a problem when the 156 fleet was introduced 20 odd years ago, and its not so many years since there were all-stations loco-hauled sets

2x156 need platforms at least 92m long.

According to the Sectional Appendix:
Kents Bank 74 & 73m
Cark & Cartmel Down 84m
Ulverston 88 & 86m
Dalton 88 & 91m

randyrippley

Established Member
2x156 need platforms at least 92m long.

According to the Sectional Appendix:
Kents Bank 74 & 73m
Cark & Cartmel Down 84m
Ulverston 88 & 86m
Dalton 88 & 91m

Surely in which case the answer is to restore the platforms to full length? If I remember correctly these have all been shortened with fences

Kendalian

Actually Northern has only had the use of three 185s for most of the day since July, which has necessitated the (re)introduction of 156s on some Windermere services. TPE now uses the fourth 185 on Cleethorpes to Manchester Airport services, in place of two 170s that have gone to Chiltern. The 170s are enhancing Chiltern's services, so progress for that part of the country! :roll:

Reported on another thread a couple of weeks ago that:

Has anyone seen a 3-car 156+153 combination on the Windermere branch yet?

Yes, this morning I saw the 1025 Preston-Windermere waiting to leave Preston, formed of a 156 on the front, 153 rear (didn't get the numbers).

Status
Not open for further replies.