• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Arriva Trains Wales 175s taken out of service (28/02)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewE

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Trivial I know - but we have caped the booking etc.....one gathers the WG have caped also the March 1st celebrations in Cardiff.

Good luck to all rail workers and travellers over the next few days (in Wales , and elsewhere) , and thanks for your information Gareth and others. Must meet up sometime in more clement weather.

Chester1

Established Member
I am travelling along the North Wales Coast on advanced tickets (and ATW only services) on Friday and returning on Saturday. Despite advising against non essential travel Arriva don't seem to be offering refunds or changing the dates to another week without an admin fee. That would certainly reduce demand.

geoffk

Established Member
When I read this this morning, I had to abandon my Manchester - Llanelli trip with Club 55 cheap ticket and overnight stay. I was hoping to use the Central Wales line in one direction and, ironically perhaps, the 1405 ex Shrewsbury ran more or less on time. I suppose Virgin WC or Northern would have accepted my ticket from Manchester to Crewe, and the ATW Crewe - Shrewsbury locals were running, but these get to Shrewsbury at 1211 and 1411 ! The weather might have made coming home tomorrow difficult. I got my fare refunded anyway. Hope they can sort the class 175 problem out soon and there are not too many travel disruptions tomorrow.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Looks like ATW have suspended services on the Blaenau Ffestiniog branch. Possibly to free up DMUs for other services?

Also does anyone know why one ATW service left Manchester Piccadilly this morning for North Wales but was terminated at Oxford Road?

AIUI ATW believe the suspected cause is infrastructure related, between Hereford and Shrewsbury, hence suspension of Marches trains.

WAG set reportedly being checked at Canton. Most 175s and a couple of 158s have been stopped as a result.

Various assets across the Wales and LNW routes were / are being checked today, including at Manchester Piccadilly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am travelling along the North Wales Coast on advanced tickets (and ATW only services) on Friday and returning on Saturday. Despite advising against non essential travel Arriva don't seem to be offering refunds or changing the dates to another week without an admin fee. That would certainly reduce demand.

If you have an Advance and your train is cancelled you are entitled to a refund whether ATW like it or not.

nedchester

Established Member

I tweeted the earlier as I have a booked advance on the early 04:55 off Chester on Friday (going to Norwich). I was informed that in the case of disruption (snow or cancelled train) I would be entitled to a full refund.

They may not advertise it but that is your entitlement.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Might this be from new crossovers installed on the North Wales Coast line for the new signalling?
Flint I think was the location recently installed, and there are other new ones at Rhyl.
Plus the new crossover at Frodsham for the Halton Curve.
Last I was aware, Flint, Rhyl and Mostyn were checked this morning as a priority and cleared.

Chester1

Established Member
If you have an Advance and your train is cancelled you are entitled to a refund whether ATW like it or not.

I tweeted the earlier as I have a booked advance on the early 04:55 off Chester on Friday (going to Norwich). I was informed that in the case of disruption (snow or cancelled train) I would be entitled to a full refund.

They may not advertise it but that is your entitlement.

I know I will if the service is cancelled or severely delayed but they are not offering refunds on advanced tickets to people who preemptively decide not to travel until the weather improves.

daikilo

Established Member
BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43223415 is currently saying

Do they all cycle across a single set of switches?

Yes, if the cause is anywhere south of Shrewsbury. However, I find it a little strange that anywhere near the whole fleet has been damaged. And if so, what about other trains operating over the affected track. I sense there may be more to this than we have currently been told.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Quite simply not all 27 sets have "significant damage" as BBC put it.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Possibly, although not when the cause of it cannot be pinned down.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes, if the cause is anywhere south of Shrewsbury. However, I find it a little strange that anywhere near the whole fleet has been damaged. And if so, what about other trains operating over the affected track. I sense there may be more to this than we have currently been told.

They work south and north of Shrewsbury and not sure where the track defect is.

daikilo

Established Member
They work south and north of Shrewsbury and not sure where the track defect is.

I was answering the question from AndrewE ... I'm assuming that north of Shrewsbury some work via Wrexham and some via Crewe then either Manchester or Holyhead.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
For entertainment, here's a sentence taken from today's log.

Not a usual sight I guess. ;)

ATW said:
ATW have 7 175 units coupled together, which will be running at reduced speed from Holyhead to Chester.

xc170

Thinking worst case scenario here - If all 27 sets have severe damage to the wheelsets, how long could we expect the 175 fleet to be out of service, as I can't imagine Chester depot have anywhere near enough wheelsets to straight swap?

berneyarms

Established Member
You’ve got that the wrong way round - damaged wheels (flangeback contact) suspected to be caused by a set of switches.

Do you mean a set of points?
Why not use that term?
Since when have they been called “switches”???

Genuine question - I’ve never heard them described as anything but points or crossovers?

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Many thanks - looks like a loss to the Mid Wales economy (we had booked lunch in the Wynnstay at Mach for 8) - too risky I reckon and not right to clutter up a 2 car from BHI to Salop when other people have pressing need to travel. Second time we have tried the Cambrian on March 1st - a spectacular OLE incident scuppered it about 4 years - and best lay off for the morrow.

ATW are not operating anything between Shrewsbury and Birmingham International today. Reduced service on Cambrian ( 8 instead of 12 services on mainline).

AndrewE

Established Member
Do you mean a set of points? Why not use that term?
Since when have they been called “switches”??? Genuine question - I’ve never heard them described as anything but points or crossovers?

American usage.
and in the UK I believe the correct term for points is actually "switches and crossings" (S&C), strictly 2 switches and one crossing per "pair." To me a crossover must be 2 pairs of points for it to work.
Highlandspring may be right, in that it was contact with a switch[blade] that might have done the damage, rather than a crossing (the frog) or the checkrails.

whhistle

On Moderation
Do you mean a set of points?
Why not use that term?
Since when have they been called “switches”???

Genuine question - I’ve never heard them described as anything but points or crossovers?
But you understood yes?

Whether we like it or not, our language is evolving to be more American, and so terms are becoming interchangable - Train station / railway station - all mean the same thing.

I'd suggest the term "car" meaning "coach" is also an Americanism - 4 coaches or 4 cars? London Overground don't seem to mind.

Domh245

Established Member
It isn't the case that it's Americanisation, it's the proper terms (for specific parts) as @AndrewE notes. Quoting from Network Rail's page about track

• Switches and crossings – these are moveable sections of track that guide trains from one track to another and allow them to cross paths. They have an especially limited lifespan because trains cause wear and deformation when they travel across them
  • Sets of points – these are mechanical systems that move the switches and crossings.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Been Switches and Crossing for as long as I can remember.

There has been some very methodical work undertaken and I believe the direction has been identified, and indeed the section. Just trying to identify exactly as we speak. Weather and lack of light not helping (winter short days).

Status
Not open for further replies.