• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rover [ALR] restrictions from 2 January 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
Apparently, from January the following rules will be enforced for ALRs:

All Line Rail Rover product changes from 2 January 2011

Please note that All Line Rail Rovers sold for travel on or after the 2 January 2011 will carry some morning time restrictions for travel on CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains and Virgin Trains services. Please refer to restriction code ‘AL’ in NFM 08 section of The Manual for further details.

Also, from 2 January 2011 Family & Friends and HM Forces Railcard discounts will apply and Child rate tickets will be issued at the standard 50% discount.

Travel Restrictions

Not valid for boarding or alighting train services operated by CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains, before 10.00 Mondays – Fridays at the following stations:

Birmingham New Street

Bedford

London Euston

London Kings Cross

London St Pancras

Luton

Luton Airport Parkway

Milton Keynes Central

Stevenage

Watford Junction

No restrictions apply on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

But Child ALR fares will go down to 50% of those of the adult fare and railcard discounts will be introduced for Forces Railcard holders and Family Railcard holders.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
how would they know if you boarded a XC service at Birmingham? Couldn't you just claim to have got on at Tamworth, Cheltenham, Wolverhampton etc?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
how would they know if you boarded a XC service at Birmingham? Couldn't you just claim to have got on at Tamworth, Cheltenham, Wolverhampton etc?

With Cheltenham, the Guard would probably be through at least once, but with Birmingham Intl, Wolverhampton or Tamworth, I wouldn't have throught anyone would notice/care. Why is it more specific stations on TOCs? Such as why Beford on EMT, why MKC on VT?

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
Idk, but I'm not sure I'm completely convinced that it is true, but just thought it would be a good heads up if anyone is planning to do one :)

Railjet

Idk, but I'm not sure I'm completely convinced that it is true, but just thought it would be a good heads up if anyone is planning to do one :)

Where did the info come from - or is it just rumour?

Sounds a bit half-baked - what about getting on a VT at Birmingham International?

Lampshade

Established Member
This idea has been proposed before, I thought they dropped it :?

Last edited by a moderator:

David

Established Member
Yes, the restrictions were planned before (about a year ago now if memory serves correctly), but were very quickly dropped after a lot of opposition.

I've just had a good look at the WNXX forums to see if anyone had mentioned it there, but so far, all is quiet. I think the OP has been given some out of date information to be honest.

MCR247

Established Member
It is from another forum, and the person who posted it was asked by the source not to say where he got it from, but the poster has said it is a reliable source :/

Zoe

Established Member
As long as they don't do what Amtrak did in the US and introduce a limited number of "segments" per rover. Every individual train you go on counts as a segment there.

Ibex

To be honest that sounds like nothing more than a rumour to me. There's nothing official (or unofficial) on any of the obvious sites to check and google searching it only brings up results like this thread, speculating about speculation. I'm going to take this with a pinch of salt personally.

Not at all wishing to accuse MCR247 of dreaming things up here, to me it sounds like the OP on this other forum has perhaps been using their imagination a bit too much if they cannot provide a source. Of course if it turns out to be true I'll be back for a lovely slice of humble pie.

As long as they don't do what Amtrak did in the US and introduce a limited number of "segments" per rover. Every individual train you go on counts as a segment there.

Like a carnet ticket sort of thing? Now that definitely wouldn't be a welcome change.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
Well a Northern guard has just confirmed it....

This is definitely happening. I can't say the source (without being in trouble for being on a website I should not) but it is definitely official.

Ibex

Fair enough then. So what are us adults going to get out of this change price-wise, seeing as the kiddys are getting a cheaper deal? Nothing?

David

Established Member
Yes, the restrictions were planned before (about a year ago now if memory serves correctly), but were very quickly dropped after a lot of opposition.

My memory failed me! It was 7 months ago!

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32749&highlight=ALR+restriction

http://www.wnxxforum.com/interactive/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12087

I think ATOC are a little bit mistaken if they think that people have short term memories and have forgotten the opposition to the changes back in May ....

Zoe

Established Member
Fair enough then. So what are us adults going to get out of this change price-wise, seeing as the kiddys are getting a cheaper deal? Nothing?
It looks like forces and family railcard discounts will be introduced.

Jordy

Established Member
I've also heard this from a reliable source, sounds like it may be true unfortunately :(

Zoe

Established Member
From the point of view of the TOCs the All Line Rover effectively sets a limit on how expensive Anytime fares can be. By adding these peak restrictions it will stop people getting an all line rover if the price of the Anytime fares should ever exceed the all line rover price.

Tom

Not valid for boarding or alighting train services operated by CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains, before 10.00 Mondays – Fridays at the following stations:

Birmingham New Street

Bedford

London Euston

London Kings Cross

London St Pancras

Luton

Luton Airport Parkway

Milton Keynes Central

Stevenage

Watford Junction

No restrictions apply on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

barrykas

Established Member
Just checked the new version of "The Manual", which was launched today for NFM08, and can confirm that it's there, with validity code AL. Way to make it completely useless... :mad:

Ibex

At least it hasn't affected PM peak service (yet), as we all know some TOC's evening peak restricts are horrific...Virgin!

Fair play they're adding two railcards to the deal for adults but for those who don't have a Forces RC or a Family RC, it's hardly fair that we should pay the same amount as before and have what is actually quite a heavy restriction in the sense that if you wanted to get an early morning train to Edinburgh from Kings Cross, you'd have to wait until after 10 which knocks a fair few hours off your day when you could have been at your destination before you can even board a train. Even more so for First Class ALR's where you'll then be too late to get the services with Breakfast.

nedchester

Established Member
Just checked the new version of "The Manual", which was launched today for NFM08, and can confirm that it's there, with validity code AL. Way to make it completely useless... :mad:

Are there any changes to other rovers and rangers from January?

As for the ALR the restriction is all part of rip off Britain.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
im confused so i cant get on a train that calls at one fo these stations with them companies even if im not using said station?

mrcheek

Established Member
I blame Lord Adonis for all this.
Until he came along, nobody even knew what an ALR was. Only a few people in the know ever used them, they were nicely under the radar.
Then suddenly the prices shoot up. Now they are allegedly bringing in restrictions.

Also, we need to come up with ideas on getting round this. Such as boarding XC services at Birmingham International or Wolverhampton. Or hoping you get a ticket checked by a member of staff who hasnt got a clue.

philjo

Established Member
At least no restrictions at Paddington.

Using FCC to Peterborough before 10am won't help a lot after May without careful planning as fewer East coast services will stop there!

I think there ought to be a discount on the ALR (albeit at a lower rate say 10%) for gold card holders - after all you would have an annual season which you are not using for 7 days whilst you use the ALR.

mrcheek

Established Member
im confused so i cant get on a train that calls at one fo these stations with them companies even if im not using said station?

Thats not what it says. Passing thru Birmingham is ok as long as you dont board or alight there (and how the hell are they gonna stop you alighting?)

Of course, what it says may change to close all potential loopholes.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . . . pay the same amount as before and have what is actually quite a heavy restriction in the sense that if you wanted to get an early morning train to Edinburgh from Kings Cross, you'd have to wait until after 10 which knocks a fair few hours off your day when you could have been at your destination before you can even board a train. Even more so for First Class ALR's where you'll then be too late to get the services with Breakfast.
I agree about the breakfast!!
But It seems that Grand Central are not restricted, so you could leave London at 08:04 and change at York for onward travel. Not ideal of course, but a useable work-around?

mrcheek

Established Member
But It seems that Grand Central are not restricted, so you could leave London at 08:04 and change at York for onward travel. Not ideal of course, but a useable work-around?

Clever! More tips like this please people!

Status
Not open for further replies.